Archived Is no news good news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am a seasonal cashier and I really enjoy working at target, I sincerely enjoy everyone I work with and I think I get along well with all of them, no one avoids me can keep a conversation with just about everyone I encounter at the front end of the store. I am not exactly sure how well I do? I don't think I'm doing a bad job but it's one of those things where it's hard really to compare yourself to others. I've gotten 13 red cards and i've been working about a month and a half not sure how good/bad that is.

I have also picked up shifts from some cashiers who I know are not seasonal as well as came in every time I have been called by my store so I don't think they're uncomfortable contacting me to work additional hours or anything like that.

I talked to my ETL monday this week and was just like "Hey wondering if you know when you guys will start cutting seasonal people" So on so on and he basically just said "yeah the GSTL Should talk to everyone sometime this week. Did you want to stay on?" to which I replied yes and then went about my business after thanking him for his time etc. It is now Friday which is the last day of my schedule for this week (I work again sunday) Should I take not speaking with my GSTL as good news? I really have no idea if she spoke to anyone else or anything. I am also still on the schedule with roughly the same hours as (slightly reduced but I think thats normal? 21-27ish)

They talked to the seasonal cashiers on Wednesday and let them know. Our store only kept one seasonal cashier.

Even as a GSA in my store I basically find out which seasonals weren't kept when I see them stop coming in. Communication tends to be shitty, people find out by checking the schedule more often than not.

Our STL said that we had a decent group of seasonal hires and that we are going to keep a good amount of them. Judging by the group that was on the sales floor, I hoping these seasonal hires were in other areas. There were better seasonal hires last year. Possibly with more training some will get better.

Select couple of ours this year stood out as people I'd keep. Far more stood out as people I'd not keep. I figure with my luck they keep the ones I'd dump and dump the ones I'd keep. I already know for sure they told one they should have dumped that she's being kept. (Awful worker, constantly trying to give shifts away, constantly asking to leave early, DID leave early on Black Friday.)

And no, I don't mean like, at 2-3 AM she asked if she could go home because it was slow and she wasn't needed. At like 10 PM she said she wanted to go home and left then.

I started out as a seasonal cashier. They just kept putting me on the schedule and sometime near the end of January I asked my ETL if I should stop worrying about being dropped from the schedule and he said "yeah, I think we'll keep you, Jill!"

Only he didn't call me Jill since that would be really weird seeing as it is not my real name. ;-)

No news is probably good news. Not to scare you, though, but here is how my store works (in case you're one of my seasonals o_O)

We had quite a few seasonal cashiers and I believe I'm going to keep about... two. Maybe. Unfortunately, at our store, this will happen the day before I make the schedule:
Me: Hey, let's get rid of XXXXX.
ETL-GE: Alright, put them on the schedule this week and we'll take care of the rest
Me: Okay....
The day after the schedule is posted rolls around and
ETL-GE: Hey, GSTL, we got rid of XXXXXX. Get their shifts covered for the next two weeks. They were closing tonight, hopefully it's not a big deal if they aren't here.

Like, I simply do not understand the thought process that goes into this. I have had to do this four times now.

I thought no news was good news, was on the schedule next two weeks. They told me yesterday buh bye you were seasonal here's your last check. So who knows, my store didn't handle any of the seasonal hires well, got rid of 15 in the past week, all were on the schedule.

Also worth noting I talked to one of the GSA's today as we had our lunches at the same time she specifically mentioned about how many people quit while being seasonal so I guess that's a possible positive for me? Also there are definitely times where it's purely seasonal people cashiering now so I assume they may have been short staffed prior to seasonal even happening.

Thanks so much for all the support/info guys my GSTL pulled me aside last night and told me that she thought I was doing a great job and they were going to keep me on, should also note I am fairly young and this was my first job so I was probably a little unnecessarily anxious about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back