Is Target considered a grocery/food industry? Covid vaccine eligibility

I have to work in a grocery store to be eligible for the Covid vaccine and bring paperwork to prove that I work at Target. Are we eligible?

I'm assuming you are in CA based on your question because food and grocery workers are eligible in CA for the vaccine starting tomorrow. Yes, we count because Target carries groceries. I worked today and meant to ask HR about documentation but no one was around when I left. I assume it will be a letter, similar to the one we got when everything shutdown and there was a curfew. We all were given "essential worker" letters to carry in our cars in case we were stopped during curfew hours. Definitely planning on talking to HR about this tomorrow. In the meantime, I will try to figure out the vaccine appt website! 🙄

I'm assuming you are in CA based on your question because food and grocery workers are eligible in CA for the vaccine starting tomorrow. Yes, we count because Target carries groceries. I worked today and meant to ask HR about documentation but no one was around when I left. I assume it will be a letter, similar to the one we got when everything shutdown and there was a curfew. We all were given "essential worker" letters to carry in our cars in case we were stopped during curfew hours. Definitely planning on talking to HR about this tomorrow. In the meantime, I will try to figure out the vaccine appt website! 🙄

Yep, in CA. Here is what is required for proof in our county.

Phase 1A and 1B, Tier 1 Workers need to show photo ID and one of the following:
  • Professional license
  • Employee badge with name
  • Signed letter from employer on facility letterhead
  • Employment paystub with printed name

In PA, grocery workers are eligible in 1B and am hopeful to be able to get the vaccine since I work in P-Fresh. It is tricky for other types of team members since they are not included. They could pretend that they work in Market but not sure if this would be ethical.

In PA, grocery workers are eligible in 1B and am hopeful to be able to get the vaccine since I work in P-Fresh. It is tricky for other types of team members since they are not included. They could pretend that they work in Market but not sure if this would be ethical.

I haven't heard of any states differentiating between employees at the same store. If you work at Target and Target is considered a grocery store/food retail, you are considered a grocery worker whether you work in grocery or clothing.

I don't think Targets are considered groceries because they aren't the majority of store sales.

Also do ALL Targets have pharmacies?

Last edited:
It worked for me to get my first round. I showed my Target discount card saying grocery and it worked for the Pharmacist where I went

Well they have a larger grocery section than some grocery stores I’ve been in, I’ll say that much.

But I was able to get the vaccine in New York in January when grocery employees were eligible, they asked where I worked and I said Target and that was fine with them. Weird thing is they didn’t even ask for the proof that I brought with me, they just took my word for it.

In Wisconsin grocery and other essential frontline workers became eligible this week (this is not including specific frontline workers ie: health workers who were eligible way earlier). I got my first dose today and was not asked for proof of work. I just had to sign a statement checking off what eligible category I fell under.

I got one today, too. Here in California we (food & agriculture) became eligible on Monday. I went thru CVS and also was not asked for proof of work. Everything was taken care of while signing up on the website, even insurance info. I went to a stand alone CVS store, the in-store pharmacy at my Target is not providing them yet.

Depends on your state. Mine recently said agricultural and food processing workers are now eligible. And anyone 50 and older will be eligible soon, even those without risk factors. The J&J vaccine approval and availability are part of what's helping increase eligibility. Getting an appointment for one, though - that's the tricky part in my area.

I can only speak from experience in my own state.

But if you live in New York, listen up. Click on this link-

Fill out your info and find a mass-run vaccination site near you. It will likely say “no appointments available”. Don’t let this deter you. They add small amounts of new appointments periodically multiple times throughout the day and slots open up from people cancelling for whatever reason. Refresh like a maniac. Eventually, you will find one. I’ve found this to be the most effective method. On Tuesday, I was looking for appointments for my mom, dad, and brother. I was able to get one for my dad the next day, my mom the day after, and my brother this upcoming Sunday.

Now I see no reason this strategy wouldn’t work in other states as well with mass vaccination sites. He persistent and your effort will pay off.

Last edited:
I can only speak from experience in my own state.

But if you live in New York, listen up. Click on this link-

Fill out your info and find a mass-run vaccination site near you. It will likely say “no appointments available”. Don’t let this deter you. They add small amounts of new appointments periodically multiple times throughout the day and slots open up from people cancelling for whatever reason. Refresh like a maniac. Eventually, you will find one. I’ve found this to be the most effective method. On Tuesday, I was looking for appointments for my mom, dad, and brother. I was able to get one for my dad the next day, my mom the day after, and my brother this upcoming Sunday.

Now I see no reason this strategy wouldn’t work in other states as well with mass vaccination sites. He persistent and your effort will pay off.
^What he said. This is exactly the strategy folks out here in CA are using. I will repeat...Be persistent!

Last edited:
Also, register everywhere. I work in a different county from where I live, so I registered at both. Register at every pharmacy too, and find any local vaccine hunting orgs. Be ready to go at a moment's notice.

I'm going to be more than a little grumpy if my store becomes a vaccination spot while most of us who work there still can't get the vaccine. (Not a peep on when grocery workers will become eligible in my state, CDC's recommendations be damned.)

Back