COVID-19 Is Target doing enough to protect employees from getting coronavirus ?

Use the hotline as a last resort....
Talk to the PML
Talk to your leader
Talk to HR
Talk to your ETL
Talk to your SD
Hell...if you AP doesn't hate you talk to them
Then call the hotline if it doesn't get put up...
As for the hotline, surely you are joking. The likelihood of retaliation against the "anonymous" caller is extremely high.

As far as the break room goes and other cleaning... If it is bothering you so much, ask to spend a few hours cleaning. I've done it. It is a nice change of pace. When I have done it, I started in the break room.

If you don't have cleaner in your break room, ask an ETL where you can get some cleaner to put in the break room. If you ask if you can do it, they are not likely to say no. If they start to say no, just mention corona.
It’s not that I mind doing it. I don’t. But between LOAs and people quitting somehow I am one of the more senior people who close and unless I stay late, I don’t have time to do it. Ther
Yes, there should be cleaning precautions in place but I hate it when people act like if x, y, z is done, then people won't get sick, instead of saying if x, y, z is done we'll keep the numbers below catastrophic.

People act like they aren't going to get sick with cleaning rather than acknowledge everyone is getting sick since no one has immunity, it's simply when, not if. The cleaning is needed to flatten the curve, cleaning can't do anything more.

Do people remember about flattening the curve? Or have people garbled the message and think that cleaning and social distancing will make it go away?
I didn’t mean that just cleaning and having masks and gloves is going to keep everyone perfectly healthy. I’m not stupid or naive. We have team members who have tested positive for COVID-19. Would cleaning more have prevented them from getting sick? Probably not. Will it stop anyone else from getting sick? No. Will it help to minimize the number of people who could get sick? Along with doing things like washing your hands, wearing a mask, and staying home if you’re sick, I think we can minimize it. Maybe I am stupid and naive but it sounds like other stores are able to do what I would like my store to do.

As for the hotline, surely you are joking. The likelihood of retaliation against the "anonymous" caller is extremely high.

How exactly does that happen? Do you have to give your name or TM number to the hotline?

I didn’t mean that just cleaning and having masks and gloves is going to keep everyone perfectly healthy. I’m not stupid or naive. We have team members who have tested positive for COVID-19. Would cleaning more have prevented them from getting sick? Probably not. Will it stop anyone else from getting sick? No. Will it help to minimize the number of people who could get sick? Along with doing things like washing your hands, wearing a mask, and staying home if you’re sick, I think we can minimize it. Maybe I am stupid and naive but it sounds like other stores are able to do what I would like my store to do.

What the masks do is keep someone who doesn't know they have the virus from passing it on to others, basically your health becomes lower priority than others. Masks increases a healthy person's risk of getting it from others, reduces a sick but asymptomatic person's risk of passing it on.

Gloves mostly keep your hands uninfected if used properly, so that when you grab your purse after your shift any trace amount of viruses on your hands is so low that risk of transferring from your hands to your purse strap is almost none. (Any other women out there get the heebie jeebies while shopping about needing to grab your phone, or reaching in to your purse to grab your wallet and then inside the wallet to get your card, or grabbing your keys to unlock your car door after a shopping run?)

Disinfecting surfaces shortens the time that the virus is on that surface. Cumulative effect means a lot of items have a very short time that a virus is potentially on them, reducing each person's risk of grabbing it while the virus is still alive.

Sneeze guards are more than just sneezes, it's supposed to reduce the amount of water vapor from normal breathing that gets to the person on the other side. Water vapor also contains the virus, this particular illness a high amounts of viruses are present before symptoms show.

So yeah, everything when done right will reduce the opportunity the virus has of getting a host, therefore reducing the risk of getting sick, which means less people will get sick.

How exactly does that happen? Do you have to give your name or TM number to the hotline?

What the masks do is keep someone who doesn't know they have the virus from passing it on to others, basically your health becomes lower priority than others. Masks increases a healthy person's risk of getting it from others, reduces a sick but asymptomatic person's risk of passing it on.

Gloves mostly keep your hands uninfected if used properly, so that when you grab your purse after your shift any trace amount of viruses on your hands is so low that risk of transferring from your hands to your purse strap is almost none. (Any other women out there get the heebie jeebies while shopping about needing to grab your phone, or reaching in to your purse to grab your wallet and then inside the wallet to get your card, or grabbing your keys to unlock your car door after a shopping run?)

Disinfecting surfaces shortens the time that the virus is on that surface. Cumulative effect means a lot of items have a very short time that a virus is potentially on them, reducing each person's risk of grabbing it while the virus is still alive.

Sneeze guards are more than just sneezes, it's supposed to reduce the amount of water vapor from normal breathing that gets to the person on the other side. Water vapor also contains the virus, this particular illness a high amounts of viruses are present before symptoms show.

So yeah, everything when done right will reduce the opportunity the virus has of getting a host, therefore reducing the risk of getting sick, which means less people will get sick.
Well there you go. @tracemick8824 just wants their store to take this seriously and follow best practices. I was not happy with the way things were going at my store and therefore finally had to take an LOA. I held out as long as I could. People have the right to feel safe at their jobs. I did not feel safe. If there are people who don't care about getting the virus or who believe "What's the use, we are all going to get it anyway", well it's their prerogative to play fast and loose with their own well-being, but when the well-being of others is in play they need to step up or step off. Simple as that.

I personally think that we are all going to get it anyway. However what is utmost importance is flattening the curve. We all are going to get it, but we all have to get it staggered out. So all the precautions are needed. Sucks if 5 people need a ventilator but the hospital has only 4.

Edit: I also think that if we can stagger it out enough, it'll be just like vaccines with herd immunity. So many people will have already been sick that the virus has no one to hop to, and that will protect the few people who had not caught it. But that takes a lot of people being sick first.

Last edited:
Our store has a few people wiping things down around the floor, but when it comes to the break room, no one comes in to wipe it down and there are no wipes, sprays or paper towels in sight to do it ourselves. This shows how serious they really care about US. Sure you can separate the tables 6 feet apart, but when they are all covered in COVID-19 that’s not very effective. The cleaning show is just for the guests!
At my DC, one of the two bathroom paper towel dispensers was empty when I left at end of shift and when I came back in to begin my shift the next day.... it was still empty.

So, when in the course of this extra advanced cleaning schedule do they check paper towel dispensers? Is that a never?

Oh, and same crumbs in same spots on same breakroom tables.

So. Advanced. This touchless cleaning system!

At my DC, one of the two bathroom paper towel dispensers was empty when I left at end of shift and when I came back in to begin my shift the next day.... it was still empty.

So, when in the course of this extra advanced cleaning schedule do they check paper towel dispensers? Is that a never?

Oh, and same crumbs in same spots on same breakroom tables.

So. Advanced. This touchless cleaning system!

Cleaning the high touch points in the bathroom doesn't mean changing the toilet paper or paper towels.

Cleaning the high touch points in the bathroom doesn't mean changing the toilet paper or paper towels.

Your logic really takes the joy out of complaining.

And to be fair, it's not the official cleaning crew that does it. They forced our Engineering & Facilities people to do high volume extra cleaning. Just like grocery stores having people constantly clean carts now, even though they never had to before. I'd probably just hose it all down. Like they did to Rambo. What a blast from the past.

Your logic really takes the joy out of complaining.

And to be fair, it's not the official cleaning crew that does it. They forced our Engineering & Facilities people to do high volume extra cleaning. Just like grocery stores having people constantly clean carts now, even though they never had to before. I'd probably just hose it all down. Like they did to Rambo. What a blast from the past.

Oh hell, complain anyway. I know someone who bitched about my target. We had a cashier cleaning carts, but she had no mask on.

To my knowledge, no, you do not have to provide your name or TM number to the hotline. I believe the hotline staff maintain confidentiality. The real problem is when the store, DC or other work center receives the complaint report from the Hotline. While the SD or other boss will promise to solve the problem, and under this situation, often the workcenter's problem will be resolved in some fashion, the tendency of many bosses and leaders in an insular "yes-man" corporate culture is to then investigate WHO contacted the Hotline. The boss/leader sometimes can read between the lines of the complaint to figure out likely culprits, and then find clever ways to casually ask around (using the pretext of "we don't want this problem to happen again") to eventually figure out the "perp". In other situations, the boss/leader will use their network contacts within the company to use some snooping skills using the internal HR file notes and other tools so they can pinpoint who is the likely "perp".

I do not think this problem is unique to Target, nor am I so cynical to think that senior management wants Hotline callers to face retaliation. It is a risk of a company's corporate culture and my impression from postings on TBR - as well as other web sites with employee feedback and reviews like Glassdoor and Indeed - that there is an alarmingly high risk that callers to a Hotline will eventually be "outed", not by the Hotline staff, but by their immediate superiors. Nobody in authority, of course, will admit this kind of thing happens. It comes down to people in leadership roles who feel threatened, especially if the complaint involves actions which happened "under their watch" but without the leader having noticed the problem due to subordinates all being "yes-men".

In other situations, the boss/leader will use their network contacts within the company to use some snooping skills using the internal HR file notes and other tools so they can pinpoint who is the likely "perp".

It's the nature of dealing with bad leadership. The hotline is a good idea, but the person answering the hotline can't wave a magic wand and fix the issues. They have to be addressed at the store level. I have good leadership and I'm all old and outspoken and shit so I have no problems addressing serious concerns to my ETL, though I don't often have them, because my leadership doesn't suck. If you don't trust your leadership, though, to handle issues you bring up and feel the need to go to the hotline, that makes it much less likely that your store will deal any better with the issue from the hotline than they would from you. About the best outcome you can have from hotline calls is to have enough callers on the same problems that it might result in the problem leader(s) being removed. But it is a risk to the callers because shitty people are shitty and will be even more shitty when challenged on their shittiness. It's no different from any other job with shitty leadership--you need to decide for yourself if your personal situation means you deal with the shitty leadership or risk losing your job by calling your leaders out on their shittiness. Or just quit and try to get a job at another store or come back at a later date.

Normally, though, shitty leadership means your work life kinda sucks, not that your life is at risk. Nobody really knows how to deal with this situation since we've never been in it before.

Guests keep stealing the wipes I put in the OPU hold location for fulfillment and GS's use. Fulfillment touches absolutely everything in the store (except registers). We need the wipes for a quick clean of our carts between batches. I'll be damned if anyone at the store ever tells me I can't requisition more. Should have thought of that before giving me supervisor access to the registers.
Waaaait? I can requisition stuff with my numbers????? I thoight i could only approve my own price matches...

Back