Is there a reason why target circle earnings can’t be redeemed for dairy products?

Just curious because I often have to say “idk” to guests when they ask why. They don’t really ask when it’s alcohol, I guess that’s more understandable lol

Solution
Some states don’t allow dairy products to be sold for below cost, so I’m guessing that’s why Target Circle earnings can’t be used for them, since some states don’t allow the use of dairy coupons, either. There may be Federal regulations that affect that, too.
Just curious because I often have to say “idk” to guests when they ask why. They don’t really ask when it’s alcohol, I guess that’s more understandable lol
You can't use ANY type of coupon on milk. Read the small print on any Target coupon (more specifically, the "$10 off $50 grocery") type of coupons and they all also say they exclude milk. There's government regulations on milk prices and discounts.

in my state snap covers fat free milk only. had someone that couldn't get her 2% milk... but valentines and halloween the card can buy chocolate and more chocolate and even soda.

Stuff like that tends to happen when politicians get involved with deciding what SNAP can cover.
They're so busy pandering to their base by punishing people who need food, that they don't see some of the discrepancies in the program because of their meddling.

Stuff like that tends to happen when politicians get involved with deciding what SNAP can cover.
They're so busy pandering to their base by punishing people who need food, that they don't see some of the discrepancies in the program because of their meddling.
I expect my opinion will be unpopular but here goes anyway. When I'm behind someone in the grocery store and see them paying for what most people would consider to be luxury items such as lobster and steaks or junk stuff like pop and chips, yeah, I get a little peeved when they pay with government benefits. I pay my taxes which go to fund their benefits, yet have to pinch pennies and forego treats because I can't afford them.
I'm definitely not saying we shouldn't help those who are in a tough spot. When I was a kid, my family was on food stamps twice, when they were still the paper coupons that had to be torn out of little booklets. That and a strict budget is how Mom kept us fed.
But I see nothing wrong with limiting what can be purchased with them, much like the WIC program, as long as it provides a balanced, nutritious diet. 2% milk, yes. Candy, no.

I expect my opinion will be unpopular but here goes anyway. When I'm behind someone in the grocery store and see them paying for what most people would consider to be luxury items such as lobster and steaks or junk stuff like pop and chips, yeah, I get a little peeved when they pay with government benefits. I pay my taxes which go to fund their benefits, yet have to pinch pennies and forego treats because I can't afford them.
I'm definitely not saying we shouldn't help those who are in a tough spot. When I was a kid, my family was on food stamps twice, when they were still the paper coupons that had to be torn out of little booklets. That and a strict budget is how Mom kept us fed.
But I see nothing wrong with limiting what can be purchased with them, much like the WIC program, as long as it provides a balanced, nutritious diet. 2% milk, yes. Candy, no.

This probably isn't the thread for the conversation.
We are heading into politics really quickly here.
But I started it so take total responsibility.
My mom had to get food stamps when I was a kid too.
I had to get them after I was hit by a car and couldn't work for a long time.
I didn't buy soda with them mostly because it wasn't a thing in our house.
But I did buy coffee beans because my wife and I drank a lot of coffee.
Both my daughters could pull shots on the second hand espresso machine we had before they were ten.
But I know people who drink soda the same way I drink coffee.
They aren't human without it in the morning.
I'm not going to begrudge them buying it on SNAP.
The steak and lobster example is one I've seen so many times.
I did buy steak but it was from the markdown section, what daughter called the used meat section.
Never got lobster, though.
A large number of the people who get SNAP work, sometimes more than one job, so they will buy things that are fast and convenient to make which by in large aren't super healthy or cheap.
Many live in food deserts where the only places to buy food are Bodegas and Quickmarts.
Since most high-schools don't have cooking and nutrition classes so many people have no idea how to meal plan or make healthy, cheap food.
If the politicians want to make things better that's where they should start.

Last edited:

This probably isn't the thread for the conversation.
We are heading into politics really quickly here.
But I started it so take total responsibility.
My mom had to get food stamps when I was a kid too.
I had to get them after I was hit by a car and couldn't work for a long time.
I didn't buy soda with them mostly because it wasn't a thing in our house.
But I did buy coffee beans because my wife and I drank a lot of coffee.
Both my daughters could pull shots on the second hand espresso machine we had before they were ten.
But I know people who drink it the same way I drink coffee.
They aren't human without it in the morning.
I'm not going to begrudge them buying it on SNAP.
The steak and lobster example is one I've seen so many times.
I did buy steak but it was from the markdown section, what daughter called the used meat section.
Never got lobster, though.
A large number of the people who get SNAP work, sometimes more than one job, so they will buy things that are fast and convenient to make which by in large aren't super healthy or cheap.
Many live in food deserts where the only places to buy food are Bodegas and Quickmarts.
Since most high-schools don't have cooking and nutrition classes so many people have no idea how to meal plan or make healthy, cheap food.
If the politicians want to make things better that's where they should start.
I see both sides to this (typical Gemini, lol).

I completely understand folks not wanting benefit programs to be abused or exploited. These programs cost money and are funded by taxpayers. But many recipients of these benefits work and pay taxes as well.

Also, I'm not necessarily all for micromanaging what they buy. If someone is using assistance, it's fairly safe to say they are in need, and if a bag of their favorite chips or bottle of soda will bring them some joy, who am I to say they should go without? We all need what we need to get through the day, within reason.

I think foods with a certain amount of sugar shouldn't be allowed to be purchased. Or very, very limited amounts... Last Halloween a women bought bags of candy for her entire daughter's class. She wasn't even using it for her own family.

I think foods with a certain amount of sugar shouldn't be allowed to be purchased. Or very, very limited amounts... Last Halloween a women bought bags of candy for her entire daughter's class. She wasn't even using it for her own family.

After the accident on Christmas we had no money for presents for the many people who had helped us that difficult time.
I used SNAP to buy the supplies to make batches of chocolate chip cookies and we gave those.
Actually, my daughters did most of the work while I supervised, since I was still on a great deal of pain killers.
Have I mentioned that I have two awesome kids?
Anyway, my point is that I do see your point but sometimes the broke and poor need to feel normal.

For the skim milk thing, I suspect it's more about out-of-date nutritional guidelines than anything else. MN has rules about only serving fat-free or 1% milk that extend to schools and daycares and other facilities and presumably similar rules would cover SNAP, as well. When my kids were in daycare we had to send whole milk in with them after a certain point (after they hit 2 years old, I think) because daycares were not legally allowed to serve more than 1% because of rules that were put in place during the 80s or whatever when all fat was declared bad and replaced with (much worse for you) sugar. The studies that talk about the benefits of full-fat dairy in kids have not penetrated the bureaucracy.

Back