Archived Is this how all stores put away backstock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was working the hardlines floor today and a team leader said for my backstock any box that I took something out of I had to take everything out and put it on a three tier instead of leaving it in the box I was working grocery are all stores like this.

I was working the hardlines floor today and a team leader said for my backstock any box that I took something out of I had to take everything out and put it on a three tier instead of leaving it in the box I was working grocery are all stores like this.

Yes, you generally do this at most stores. The reason is because if you leave it in the original box and send it to backstock, then the backroom team has to backstock it and throw away the cardboard for you (when you are likely going to the baler anyway with whatever other trash you have). It means only one person has to go instead of two. It also takes up less space this way. You can have 1-2 repack boxes of loose open stock from an area, or you can have an entire flat or or two because all the boxes only have a few items in them.

Yes, you generally do this at most stores. The reason is because if you leave it in the original box and send it to backstock, then the backroom team has to backstock it and throw away the cardboard for you (when you are likely going to the baler anyway with whatever other trash you have). It means only one person has to go instead of two. It also takes up less space this way. You can have 1-2 repack boxes of loose open stock from an area, or you can have an entire flat or or two because all the boxes only have a few items in them.

or in some cases the backroom team will assume the case stock is full when sometimes it isn't. This aggravates me a lot -- when flow stocks 1 or 2 items from a case pack of a dozen items and sends the rest back. The rule of thumb should be if you can't stock at least half the case then don't stock it out at all. There's only a finite amount of space in the backroom which people don't get.

or in some cases the backroom team will assume the case stock is full when sometimes it isn't. This aggravates me a lot -- when flow stocks 1 or 2 items from a case pack of a dozen items and sends the rest back. The rule of thumb should be if you can't stock at least half the case then don't stock it out at all. There's only a finite amount of space in the backroom which people don't get.
System assumes that if it came off of the truck that it will be filled to capacity. To fill either less or more disrupts the OH counts.

By not filling the floor to capacity, you undermine the integrity of the new replenishment system.

but we all know this isn't always the case. the system can be inefficient, in that it creates more work for everybody
The only way to create change is to PROVE the newest way doesn't work. This takes multiple teams, departments, and time.

Pushing to capacity does work but it requires that the capacity be correct, the leftover gets backstocked in a timely manner, and that team members stock correctly.

The only way to create change is to PROVE the newest way doesn't work. This takes multiple teams, departments, and time.

Pushing to capacity does work but it requires that the capacity be correct, the leftover gets backstocked in a timely manner, and that team members stock correctly.
Until there is a corporate edict giving direction/accountability/hours to a specific team to do SFQ following a new set and to BAN random flexing without ties this just can't happen.

Yes, generally speaking the proper way is to pull all items from open boxes, detrash/deplastic all product, and rubber band together groups of small items. Some BRTLs may even want backstock sorted by its fillgroup in the tubs/3 tiers. But I went from a store that was absolutely militant about its backroom/backstocking procedures to one that's lucky to even have clips on any of the vehicles hanging out in the BR, so all stores are definitely not the same in this regard.

This is a good point although it depends on your store. We are told to fill the floor as much as possible even if that means taking one out of a case of 12.

Last edited:
We are told to fill to capacity also. It is best practice. Yawn I'm not screwing over the backroom by opening a case pack to push 1 or 2 items. I often help out the backroom and know how time consuming it is. Sometimes it can't be avoided but I make a judgement call.
You may be helping the backroom, but you are doing no favors to at least 3 other teams that pay the consequences for this.

You may be helping the backroom, but you are doing no favors to at least 3 other teams that pay the consequences for this.

That may be true. My Etl log, flow tl and backroom tl are well aware. I as a flow tm do not change sfq. However when I often check esp in dry market. When I see 16 and the shelf holds 8 because it won't fit on top, clearly the issues we have fall on the pog team. They set it. They should make sure the sfq is correct when set.

Yes if you break a case you empty it. The only time I leave the case and it isn't a case is the tray you get like cat food or dog food cans on. Just keeps them sort of together.. But they are open and I talked with backroom and the guys like it and trash the tray when they are done.

We have tried partial case packs with a sharpie marker but some people working backstock couldn't get with it and actually read the hand written number so they would count it as a full case. So we now follow if you take one out, all have to come out. Others couldn't be bothered to write partial number. Keeps the count more accurate.

We are required to break down boxes. Use repacks if nessary or rubber bands. If you checked all home locations and its full then can you back stock. The cart must be pushed to the correct part of the backroom. Anal, huh? How my store rolls.

but we all know this isn't always the case. the system can be inefficient, in that it creates more work for everybody
Ahhh.... but we don't really know that because it is never actually used correctly by all teams. It would be amazing to find out if it actually works, but that would require cooperation/efficiency/integrity from every team in the store.

At my store they tell us, if less than four items are going to go on a shelf, and the box has more than 10, don't open it, just backstock it. And when we do open a box and there are items left, we put them in repack boxes.

We are required to break down boxes. Use repacks if nessary or rubber bands. If you checked all home locations and its full then can you back stock. The cart must be pushed to the correct part of the backroom. Anal, huh? How my store rolls.

I like it, I have a seasonal TM we are keeping and now really getting his training nice and tight. This is a big part of it. Don't leave your backstock on any random vehicle. And learning the areas of the backroom, he did some In-Stocks and some pricing so as seasonal he got the easy basics, now its "this is how it is really done right."

Not sure why people are fighting a fill to capacity. It fills the floor and keeps the shit out of my backroom. I don't want your cardboard or plastic and I don't want your partial casepacks.

edit: just curious what your DTLs think when they walk the floor to aisles that aren't full? They agree with not pushing to capacity?

At my store (definitely somewhere in the top 10 in volume) the general rule is to push to capacity. If flow team pushes more than half of the box they should empty it out. If more than half is left in the box then either flow or backroom writes the quantities on them. Usually though, any unstable case pack that might likely drop an item out of it when lifted or moved will always get open stocked regardless how much is left. In my opinion, especially during the holiday season, doing this decreases the amount of space to back-stock full case packs in the backroom. There's a popular belief if we don't do this we will run out of room for the open stock, although we can double or triple open stock into one waco box, and whatever we can't fit we can leave in repacks to be pushed out the next day or back-stocked when there's room. Right now even in P-Fresh we usually walk into freight mostly in boxes left in the coolers because of no room for then. The backroom right now has to backstock groceries in a totally different stockroom because we ran out of room where we usually back-stock it. Not one but two of our seasonal aisles had to be condensed and moved in order to make room for some groceries. It's the worst it's ever been in the 5 years that I've been there. I don't really understand all the technical target words about how the system all works or how this "new replenish system" works, but I would appreciate any tips or tricks or just maybe some common sense to making my job easier to back-stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back