Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

Each aisle is also at least 8 four foot sections unlike most of the store aisles which have 6 four foot sections.
Most are really that short? Our grocery aisles are the longest in our store—pretty sure they're at least 14-16 sections long.

2 closers can barely zone W1-W34, even doing nothing but zone and reshop from 7-11:30. And I heard that we're going down to one closer starting next week...

So tonight was an interesting experience. This was the second night I was closing in market (I started as market closer, then moved to the mornings as opener for months -- I'm closing five nights in a row), and today I focused solely on filling the bakery table (while another team member focused on C+S lunch meat pallet). I first pushed the autofills, then I pushed what was on the frozen pallet from C+S. After that, I shot outs for what was lacking, and I pulled my own outs (I didn't mind going into the freezer, since the backroom team had just backstocked everything, and I was able to move relatively easily in there) plus I repushed any bakery stuff that was on carts that hadn't been backstocked that were behind those damned turkey pallets. End result was the bakery table was close to full capacity -- the only things we didn't have were the white/wheat dinner rolls -- I had nothing to flex into that area.

I didn't have to worry about compost tonight (save for a few items I found from tonight's zone). :)

Tonight we had three market closers -- one dry, one zoning the freezers, leaving me with the "U" and the coolers (lunch meat, cheese/eggs/coffee creamers, juices/yogurt). So as I zoned and culled, I focused on filling any holes by shooting outs or SUBT and pulling/pushing them immediately. I managed to get the "U" filled, helped unexpectedly when a guest asked for Oscar Mayer bacon that was on sale but had an empty shelf -- I went back and found it on a C+S pallet (we had one lunch meat/two dairy pallets that hadn't been broken down yet -- flow team is in its last week of starting at 2am so they couldn't help out with these until tomorrow) and made the guest happy while filling up the empty spots in the bacon area. Then I filled the sour cream area (which was bare -- guests have been buying that stuff like mad this week -- must be making all those dips for holiday parties). After finishing the zone, the shelves looked nice and full -- I hope we can have that many people closing in market on a regular basis -- I can get my zone done plus fill the shelves!

Sorry this isn't really a vent -- it's more like expressing my happiness! :D

Thats awesome...I wouldnt mind closing as much if it was like that. I hate zoning with a passion so closing especially sucks for me when I have to do it because we are required to zone the ENTIRE side of Market G6-G39 and the back wall. Just 1 person. Each aisle is also at least 8 four foot sections unlike most of the store aisles which have 6 four foot sections.

This is on top of the normal Pfresh routines at night.

I hear ya -- if market has 2 or more closers, inevitably one will get pulled away to help zone somewhere in hardlines.

The 3-closer thing was discussed by our TL before Thanksgiving -- we were going to really make market "presentable" [ETA: what I meant to say was "brand"] during the holiday rush, but unfortunately he went on LOA soon thereafter, and out went that idea. The idea was 1 would zone dry market, one would zone the "U", and the 3rd would zone freezers and the beer cooler back wall. While our TL was away and we did have 3 team members scheduled in market for closing, one would always get pulled away for some other department (as mentioned above, or guest first).

I wonder what I'll get to focus on tonight -- we have lots of lunch meat and yogurt to stock (or maybe TPC the rest of those turkeys in the freezer). But I know for sure our TL is throwing a nacho party for the market team members today -- yay! :D

Last edited:
Each aisle is also at least 8 four foot sections unlike most of the store aisles which have 6 four foot sections.
Most are really that short? Our grocery aisles are the longest in our store—pretty sure they're at least 14-16 sections long.

2 closers can barely zone W1-W34, even doing nothing but zone and reshop from 7-11:30. And I heard that we're going down to one closer starting next week...

That sucks so bad..hope you guys can get through that and keep the zone up

Here's a question I have. Let me set up the scenario. I just had a closing shift (clocked out at 11:15pm), and I will be opening this morning (6:00am). After finishing compost, I began my zone. While zoning, I noticed many outs in the lunch meat/sour cream/coffee creamers/whipped cream/juice/yogurt/bakery table. I know we had loads of juice and yogurt from the previous C+S truck that hadn't been pushed, and today's (Monday's) C+S pallets of lunch meat and dairy/yogurt had not been finished and the frozen pallet with all of the bakery stuff hadn't been touched. Since I was closing then opening, I asked the LOD if I should focus solely on getting the zone completed that evening, or should I fill the empty spots on the floor since I know there is product and guests have been individually asking me throughout my shift if we had certain products that we did have but were sitting on pallets. The LOD said I should just do the zone, and worry about filling in the morning.

If you were in my situation (closer then opener the next day), would it be more productive just filling that evening, and finish the zone in the morning if I wasn't finished the night before? My instincts tell me to get the product out so the guests would see it was in stock and avoid having to ask for it if the shelves were empty. But LOD said priority was getting the zone finished, so that's what I ended up doing. I'm just wondering when I get there in the morning, will I have time to fill all of those outs in addition to all my morning routines. Do you see what I'm getting at?

FYI, I filled some yogurt holes (a guest was asking for Stonyfield toddler yogurt, so I pulled all of the toddler/kids boxes of that brand and filled that); some Oscar Meyer honey ham (the ones out on the floor were about to expire, so I pulled the new box for the guest requesting it); and whipped cream (we had two boxes of MP and Reddi Whip just sitting there and nothing on the shelves, so I said to hell with it and put it out). But it was eating at me that I wasn't filling everything that was empty when I knew we had it in stock...

Sound a lot like my store. I usually just fill from truck while pushing truck I zone. So I would tell the LOD. That you will zone and push truck at the same time. Right now I can never fill the outs in pfresh since there are so many and we get a truck to fill some of them every 2 days. Lol. I tell them there are outs cause we are getting a truck in 12 hours or less. If it were full then there would be no need for a truck.

Sound a lot like my store. I usually just fill from truck while pushing truck I zone. So I would tell the LOD. That you will zone and push truck at the same time. Right now I can never fill the outs in pfresh since there are so many and we get a truck to fill some of them every 2 days. Lol. I tell them there are outs cause we are getting a truck in 12 hours or less. If it were full then there would be no need for a truck.

I think it's a combination of the flow team not helping out (they've just moved back to 4am start time from 2am start time over the holidays) and hours being cut (at least I think that is the case, or two of the team members -- 1 opening PA and 1 closing TM -- have the week off because they just started school again). We'll see how it goes this morning. I'll vent about this later.

So things turned out okay today. When I got in, the flow team was pushing the dairy/yogurt/juice pallet. So I did my normal morning routines, filled the milk (of whatever I had on hand, delivery guy was late today, wasn't there before I left), brought out the pallet of meat/eggs and filled. Then did the autofills for produce and bakery (filled the table with the Valentine's Day cupcakes and cookies). Did the 9am sales walk with the LOD at 10:30 (don't ask), then took lunch. After lunch, spent an hour on compost (stuff from last night plus my morning SDA pulls and out-of-temp/defective stuff from guest services plus the FIFO expired yogurt pulled by the flow team -- shot out to the flow TMs who did a great job today). Then shot outs and pulled/filled areas that were empty due to SDA. Then I broke down the freezer pallet to fill the empty Eggo freezer section because all of that product was on sale this week. Now I'm off for a couple of days. Hope the rest of the team can handle the rest of Monday's C+S as well as Wednesday's...

I was away from the store for a week during the holidays. I came back and the whole flex process has turn to shit! Whoever is there during the daytime is now just putting blanks over the OOSs and expanding the product next to them. I knew corp's way wasn't gonna last long in my store!
My old guy has done this since we opened. I'll go in tomorrow to find instead of shooting research he has flexed out two flavors of donuts across an entire shelf. Again.

I however only have half a case of dipped leaves and one case of harvest krispie treats left that are disco or not the current holiday. And maybe some pies.

Fresh Meat Ordering Question here

What Fresh Meat Do We ORDER ?????????

does anyone have a list of the fresh meat we order ?

Here is a list of fresh meat we used to order that now says NOT store orderable:
chicken parmesan
chicken asparagus
Spiral Cut Hams (these are the hams we sell fast at Christmas (sold over 100) and Easter). (ZERO on hand)
Beef Wrapped spinach pinwheel
Bone-in Ham Steak

Here are the few items I know I can order:
Beef wrapped bacon (small ones on a skewer) (I order 6 boxes to flex everywhere)
Archer Farms Applewood Quarter Hams (these are the very expensive hams that need weighed at $5.79/lb)

why do we no longer carry: (these are the ones that came in by weight)
T-Bone steak
Rib-eye

Why can't I order the S&D Top Round Roast I have zero on hand counts are accurate and would sell 4 a day if I had this.

the only good thing was the fact that we could order Turkeys and currently have NO turkeys on hand. None in the freezer all pallets of turkeys were sold this year, yeah !
We only have about 5 of the 29.99 cook in the bag turkeys and about 20 of the 12.99 turkey breast in a bag.

anyone who can help with my meat ordering will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
We can only order random weight meat. The hams do fall in that category, but they have ordering turned off for them right now. T-bone and Ribeye are apparently not carried in the winter.

I have a question.

How do you guys deal with your Vendors? it is the one subject I was never really trained on and left out to dry. It is very easy to get caught up on everything else in market and to ALMOST forget all about the vendors, ours, are more often than not, late. And for some reason I am expected to make sure that seasonal/front lanes/random areas are full at all times and on time.

I am just a PA and not CTL, but often these responsibilities are often thrust onto me, however my partner is borderline useless, so I am also trying to hold down everything ELSE that has to be done in market myself. I have a feeling I am being looked at to be CTL in the future and would like to know how to work all this crap into my routine as everything else I have down pat.

Here is a list of fresh meat we used to order that now says NOT store orderable:
chicken parmesan
chicken asparagus

Spiral Cut Hams (these are the hams we sell fast at Christmas (sold over 100) and Easter). (ZERO on hand)
Bone-in Ham Steak

Beef wrapped bacon (small ones on a skewer) (I order 6 boxes to flex everywhere)
Archer Farms Applewood Quarter Hams (these are the very expensive hams that need weighed at $5.79/lb)

T-Bone steak
Rib-eye

Why can't I order the S&D Top Round Roast I have zero on hand counts are accurate and would sell 4 a day if I had this.

the only good thing was the fact that we could order Turkeys and currently have NO turkeys on hand. None in the freezer all pallets of turkeys were sold this year, yeah !
We only have about 5 of the 29.99 cook in the bag turkeys and about 20 of the 12.99 turkey breast in a bag.

Really? for some reason it doesn't tell me I can't order these. I always order them

so the new zoning guidelines for pfresh, say that the fresh meat top shelf have to stand up. Now this looks stupid for the ground meat and the blood runs to the bottom.

Also, my minced garlic has to lay on its side. This is down right stupid, but hey it's from corporate and we must follow the guidelines is what I am told. What next lay the pasta sauce on its side.

does anyone else have to follow these rediculious guidelines for zoning ?? Our store we have to zone everything to a "T" and follow all the guidelines.

We have always flexed Pfresh with the flip labels, so when this "new rollout.... Rolled out" we were are like... okay?!?

What I have found funny about the "new rollout" was that it didn't say anywhere to my knowledge that you can only flex according to food safety guidelines, (Flex literally just like our meat cart is setup)..

Flex whole beef under chicken even slightly? Steritech shows up? your gonna have a bad time.

I have a question.

How do you guys deal with your Vendors? it is the one subject I was never really trained on and left out to dry. It is very easy to get caught up on everything else in market and to ALMOST forget all about the vendors, ours, are more often than not, late. And for some reason I am expected to make sure that seasonal/front lanes/random areas are full at all times and on time.

I am just a PA and not CTL, but often these responsibilities are often thrust onto me, however my partner is borderline useless, so I am also trying to hold down everything ELSE that has to be done in market myself. I have a feeling I am being looked at to be CTL in the future and would like to know how to work all this crap into my routine as everything else I have down pat.

When I was working mornings, I watched how my CTL would interact with the vendors -- he was very friendly with them, and as a result, he got them to fill up their specified areas as well as discuss any new products/endcaps/etc. needed setting up. When my CTL went on LOA, the PA and I (I'm currently just a Market TM -- hopefully that will change soon) would have to interact with the vendors to make sure things got filled. I also learned how to do lookup receipt numbers and other stuff I was never trained to do (with regards to vendors).

Since moving to the evenings, I don't deal with vendors that often, since they usually arrive early in the morning, with maybe the sole exception of the milk vendor when he's late.

From my observations, I would try to engage with the vendors -- more often then not, they usually sought me out if I was there opening to ask or discuss what needed to be done. They remembered who I was (e.g. Pepsi guy, beer guy, Orowheat/Bimbo/bread guy, milk guy). If you interact with them enough, they should remember who you are, and they'll seek you out rather than you looking for them, hopefully.

Another reason they seek you out is that weekly, the CTL/PA has to fill out a vendor report -- if the vendor isn't doing his/her job, you can ding them (i.e. give them a red score), and if you do that enough times, the vendor's bosses won't be to pleased. Hence, the vendors usually try to get on your good side. Hope that helps...

ETA: Just remembered -- whenever I wasn't sure about something, I always checked with my Reverse Logistics TL in the back -- she knew all of the vendors, and if I had any questions when my CTL was on LOA, I would check with her.

Last edited:

chicken parmesan
chicken asparagus
Bone-in Ham Steak

T-Bone steak
Rib-eye

Like Produce Queen mentioned, we can only order random weight meat. I haven't done an order in over a month, but I remember we've been receiving some new random weight meat (mainly beef). I'll double check the next time I'm at work (Friday).

I have a question.

When I was working mornings, I watched how my CTL would interact with the vendors -- he was very friendly with them, and as a result, he got them to fill up their specified areas as well as discuss any new products/endcaps/etc. needed setting up. When my CTL went on LOA, the PA and I (I'm currently just a Market TM -- hopefully that will change soon) would have to interact with the vendors to make sure things got filled. I also learned how to do lookup receipt numbers and other stuff I was never trained to do (with regards to vendors).

Since moving to the evenings, I don't deal with vendors that often, since they usually arrive early in the morning, with maybe the sole exception of the milk vendor when he's late.

From my observations, I would try to engage with the vendors -- more often then not, they usually sought me out if I was there opening to ask or discuss what needed to be done. They remembered who I was (e.g. Pepsi guy, beer guy, Orowheat/Bimbo/bread guy, milk guy). If you interact with them enough, they should remember who you are, and they'll seek you out rather than you looking for them, hopefully.

Another reason they seek you out is that weekly, the CTL/PA has to fill out a vendor report -- if the vendor isn't doing his/her job, you can ding them (i.e. give them a red score), and if you do that enough times, the vendor's bosses won't be to pleased. Hence, the vendors usually try to get on your good side. Hope that helps...

ETA: Just remembered -- whenever I wasn't sure about something, I always checked with my Reverse Logistics TL in the back -- she knew all of the vendors, and if I had any questions when my CTL was on LOA, I would check with her.

I am almost always the one who fills out the Vendor Survey report, however since me and the other PA rotate closings/openings, every week, it leads to inconsistencies. Apparently I am looked as the guy who is supposed to call vendors when they are late for seasonal sets/late to push their deliveries. I, however, NEVER have time to do this.

I have a question.

I am almost always the one who fills out the Vendor Survey report, however since me and the other PA rotate closings/openings, every week, it leads to inconsistencies. Apparently I am looked as the guy who is supposed to call vendors when they are late for seasonal sets/late to push their deliveries. I, however, NEVER have time to do this.

I honestly would like to see the difference between what a CTLs role is and a PA...because it seems like I do litereally everything my CTL did before they cut the position entirely yet I am not getting paid like it.

I have a question.

I honestly would like to see the difference between what a CTLs role is and a PA...because it seems like I do litereally everything my CTL did before they cut the position entirely yet I am not getting paid like it.

Yup,
- I do the order probably 60% of the time if not more
- Fill out the Vendor Survey every week with very little feedback besides our Receiving guy who is awesome
- Pretty much the only person who puts stuff in the SDA (I can tell because everytime I do the SDA it is stuff I have put in there)
- I kid you not 5x the amount of research scans as my PA Partner (YTD)
- Primarily take care of Cleaning our sink/Garbage cans/Sweeping and Mopping our coolers
- Routinely find cartloads of out-of-dates in Dry.
- The only person who actually makes TPCs.
- Keeps our PFresh papers in order for Steritech when ever they arrive, as well as hunting any LOD in the vicinity to sign the multiple missing LOD signatures.
- routinely 90-100% for guest survey score during hours I am present in Market
- Primary Trainer for Market

I am gonna stop, the more I think about it the sadder it is making me.

This be bold thing is BS, another thing added to our tasks and we struggle to get everything done. No support from our CTL. The funniest thing is, o/n flow is to pull the flexed merchandise and fill when stock has come in, yet when you mention it to them, they were never told about this change. Product now sitting in the coolers and not on sales floor, so this just adds to the PA work load. Target, expect more, pay less. As someone else mentioned, one off these days, I am going to walk out.

This be bold thing is BS, another thing added to our tasks and we struggle to get everything done. No support from our CTL. The funniest thing is, o/n flow is to pull the flexed merchandise and fill when stock has come in, yet when you mention it to them, they were never told about this change. Product now sitting in the coolers and not on sales floor, so this just adds to the PA work load. Target, expect more, pay less. As someone else mentioned, one off these days, I am going to walk out.
Uh ya I havent even bothered to read all of it and do any of what it says because i literally have no time. Today like ALL C+S push days, I have to push C+S for 3+ hours because if I dont it doesnt get all the way done. Our coverage in Market is opener from 7-2:30 and closer from 2:30-7 and we are supposed to be responsible for zoning everything in market including dry market with no help. And im practically backroom too because they never backstock any of the morning pulls after im done and this morning the backstock from the night before hadnt even been done so more STOing for me this morning ..the joy..

shoot I think last Sunday I had to come in at 7am and then pull ALL my pulls, work them out and then backstock them...ya im sure ill get alot of stuff done when I have to do that.

chicken parmesan
chicken asparagus
Bone-in Ham Steak

T-Bone steak
Rib-eye

Like Produce Queen mentioned, we can only order random weight meat. I haven't done an order in over a month, but I remember we've been receiving some new random weight meat (mainly beef). I'll double check the next time I'm at work (Friday).

As promised:

Santa Maria Seasoned Beef Tri-Tip Roast
Carne Asada Seasoned Beef Skirt Steak
Chinese-Style Barbecue Beef
Bacon Wrapped Beef Roast
Garlic Herb Butter & Spinach Beef Pinwheel Steaks
Chili Lime Pork Brisket
Chipotle & Lime Seasoned Chicken Breast
Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Breasts Stuffed With Jalapeno Cream Cheese
Chicken Parmesan Cutlets
Asparagus & Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Breast Cutlets
Sutton & Dodge Tri-Tip Roast
Sutton & Dodge Bottom Round Roast

There are others, but we apparently didn't get them with Friday's C+S.

Ugh, I have to vent...

Today I wasn't scheduled in Market -- I'm Saturday night Ad Take Down TL -- so when I came in, I looked at the schedule. I know they've been cutting hours, but this was ridiculous -- there were two TMs in the morning (the CTL and a Market TM who was being trained morning routines) and a mid-morning TM, but all three left by 2:45pm. The closer (who zoned dry market) wasn't scheduled until 7:15pm, so basically there was no coverage in the Market area for 4-1/2 hours! *SMH*

That being said, before I started my shift, I walked the produce area quickly, and it looked relatively okay considering. So I began my ad take down duties. Then I hear the LOD call over a hardlines TM over to the U. I gave it no thought, and continued my workload. As I passed through Market taking down ads, I saw said HL TM zoning. Good, I thought, at least Market is getting some help. Our Ad Take Down team finished within two hours, so I was asked to help zone dry market. No problem.

Jump ahead to 11:15pm, I come to find out that the LOD had that HL TM pulling any expired product or anything "close". I bumped into the HL TM in the ambient room -- he brought in three carts of "expired" product. The one cart which caught my eye was the one full of bakery items -- I had just filled that yesterday. So I took a closer look, and almost all of the stuff in the cart had "best before" dates of 1/13! I rushed back out to the bakery table, and it was almost completely empty! I had to explain to the HL TM that we don't pull anything unless it expires the next day (two days tops) because we wouldn't have any product on the shelves, and we'd be scrambling to fill said table. He apologized and took the cart back out and filled up the table.

I inspected the other carts, and found out he was pulling stuff with "best before" dates of 1/13 and 1/14. DOH! I checked those spots on the floor, and, you guessed it, the shelves were empty. I scanned those empty spots, and we had no back stock. And since I don't know how long he had these items in his cart, I had to let it go the way of QMOS. But here's the kicker: our Market team had finally got caught up on compost that was building up. The ambient room was finally empty of carts of compost. But tonight we ended up with three cartloads of UNPROCESSED items. Not only will the Market team be forced to compost all of that, we still have to QMOS before doing compost, and we can't salvage any of it for donation because it's been out of temp! ARGH!!!

I asked the LOD about it, and the reason the HL TM was asked to cull was because our STL did an audit in Market today (at what time I'm not sure) and found expired product in the U (apparently something from early December, which is NOT a good thing), so the STL and another ETL culled and got a cart's worth of expired product. The HL TM added three more carts, but thankfully, one of them (the bake stuff) was able to be returned.

I'm not scheduled tomorrow (Sunday), but I hope it all gets done before I come in on Monday, but I'm not sure who and how many hours will be spent doing it. Otherwise I will be spending goodness knows how many hours processing/composting those carts along with anything QMOS from Monday's cull when I should be working on C+S/pushing autofill/shooting outs/helping guests (basically the usual Market routines). Writing this all down makes me depressed... :(

Every shift is a struggle these days. so much to do, no support. Still trying to get my teammate to fully set a bunker pog from sat. He printed labels and tied sat, found strips sun and ignored my inquiry about stripping and filling today.

Got a bunch of those large Goldfish puff bags that we used to have on an endcap in a market 3 tier priority pull, half w/ a best buy date for last week, the other half for Nov. 19th. Sigggghhh. Market hours are super cut for everyone but the CTL and the PA, it's hard to get things done when market keeps getting called away to help elsewhere.

I do have a PA interview in a little over a week though. Any PAs here have any advice? I know some have said it's similar to the general interview but surely there is some more specific market questions? Or is it more answering situational questions with experiences you've had in market? Thanks for any advice.

Got a bunch of those large Goldfish puff bags that we used to have on an endcap in a market 3 tier priority pull, half w/ a best buy date for last week, the other half for Nov. 19th. Sigggghhh. Market hours are super cut for everyone but the CTL and the PA, it's hard to get things done when market keeps getting called away to help elsewhere.

I do have a PA interview in a little over a week though. Any PAs here have any advice? I know some have said it's similar to the general interview but surely there is some more specific market questions? Or is it more answering situational questions with experiences you've had in market? Thanks for any advice.

The actual interview questions are quite the same.. If they approached YOU about the position you pretty much have the job in the bag, while the interviews are pretty much just a formality. The CTL and lone PA in the department pretty much asked me to apply, and when I did the interview pretty much went the same as a TM interview it will be with the CTL and ETL-SF.

Most of the interview was pretty much what they expect, why its important, etc, etc.

Being a PA is a pretty damn demanding job, I find it hard to think of a non-TL job that demands so much. However, you will NEVER be bored, and have a better grasp and impact on your department than just about anyone else would have in theirs.

Back