Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

They have Facebook groups that post all the deals and price errors. I joined one for shits and giggles. They really are scums of the earth.

I don't mind them sharing that info, but when you want me to go on a scavenger hunt for your almost certainly out of stock item, that's when I get annoyed.

I am well aware of it, not my decision. ETL, Push, Go HOME! NO BREAKS! The ETLLOG and HRETL can work that out...

Most of my team would rather go home than sit around for 15 minutes. Normally flow is 4 hours.. We cut it to 3.5. So 0600 to 0930, if you want to insist on that 15 minute break then you go home at 0915. If you get to be FDC team, or some special cases and we want you to stay, the only big deal around here is that you take a lunch...

Again that too is an area where most would just soon work go home...but since this is forced they will stay up till they have to take a lunch and go home. Otherwise they won't stay. Maybe for SF its a bigger need to have a break, and lunches for longer shifts.. but since on Flow the work is basically when the freight is pushed go home! Most would rather just get'r done!

The few who absolutely have to have their break and are mini labor lawyers take it, and then I send them home at 915. I know who this bunch is, it is the same ones all the time. They are also the weakest of the team. Hence why they are not needed to stay, if we let people stay..

Mini Labor Lawyers? Uh...target itself provides and states you get a PAID 15 minute break. My Flow team comes in mostly at 6...They take their break around 8.

Does anyone else's TL make you map out your SPLs for market? My TL said if I have enough time during my shifts I should start mapping out our market SPLs.

...We sell grapefruit, it's on the produce table what are you on about.

Yes, we have NO GRAPEFRUITS, here.

Oranges, single, 5lb bags of oranges, lemon, lime, bananas, pineapples, apples, and those *(&(&* hallos that guest leave the boxes! Strawberries 1 and 2 lb boxes, blueberries, blackberries 1lb and 2lb, raspberries 1lb and 2lb, and grapes red and green. And technically tomatoes since they really are a fruit v. a veggie...

Yes, we have no grapefruits!

We are pfresh, not super.

The coffee gave the woman third degree burns and she required skin grafts you dingus.

Coffee is HOT! DUH! Handle as such.

Last edited:
Does anyone else's TL make you map out your SPLs for market? My TL said if I have enough time during my shifts I should start mapping out our market SPLs.

The PA(s) here will do it.. There is NO CTL, and those of us handling that role as part of our duties, will if the PA(s) don't get it... I personally would prefer that one "PA" does it versus the other, but doesn't happen.. The SPP paperwork gets dumped into the market box and they grab, they nuked the PERMANENT EC for coffee this past week.. :mad: The other one is more engaged in things, has them Pre-tied, while the other will do the above, even after a note that their planned changed was a PERMANENT EC! :mad:

IF you have the CTL who is over there, they really should do it, and the PA(s) back them up when they are on VAC or something... but if you are like us... then the PA(s) should do it since they are over there 100% of the time.

The PA(s) here will do it.. There is NO CTL, and those of us handling that role as part of our duties, will if the PA(s) don't get it... I personally would prefer that one "PA" does it versus the other, but doesn't happen.. The SPP paperwork gets dumped into the market box and they grab, they nuked the PERMANENT EC for coffee this past week.. :mad: The other one is more engaged in things, has them Pre-tied, while the other will do the above, even after a note that their planned changed was a PERMANENT EC! :mad:

IF you have the CTL who is over there, they really should do it, and the PA(s) back them up when they are on VAC or something... but if you are like us... then the PA(s) should do it since they are over there 100% of the time.
We don't have a CTL just a SrHLTL that is in charge of market. The thing is this is my second week as a PA and my TL is having me do this. Where the other PA has been in position for almost a year and never had to do it. I had the normal target training of 5 hrs and most of my "training" shift I spent training my trainer on workbench and how to print signs. So I'm still trying to learn everything I need to know.

Mini Labor Lawyers? Uh...target itself provides and states you get a PAID 15 minute break. My Flow team comes in mostly at 6...They take their break around 8.

Mine does, too.. and they want to come to work, and get'r done!

There is about 3-4 who are just hour suckers like that insurance company ads, and the know the rules on the breaks aka "mini labor lawyers", and they are not amicable to Push, PUSH, PUSH GO HOME.. So fine, take your break, you go home at 0915 now. I'll take that 16 hours and spread it to others.. They are now scheduled that way. These 3-4 if I had my way would be gone, but they do just enough to get by and not create any way to perform them out or otherwise..

We for the longest time when I was TM never had any breaks, unless you were here long enough to be forced a lunch aka compliance.. that is about the only sin you can commit on this here...and we mostly worked 5 hour shifts, and a few might stay right up to 5.9..

Those that take the break perform even worse after wards, and like I said other than 3-4 that want that break, my team wants to get in, get'r done! Go home! They have lives they want to live that aint TGT! That is why most here would kill to go back to 0400 (this close, THIS CLOSE!) and would probably even worse to go to 0200... Come in push, go home!

Yes, we have NO GRAPEFRUITS, here.

Oranges, single, 5lb bags of oranges, lemon, lime, bananas, pineapples, apples, and those *(&(&* hallos that guest leave the boxes! Strawberries 1 and 2 lb boxes, blueberries, blackberries 1lb and 2lb, raspberries 1lb and 2lb, and grapes red and green. And technically tomatoes since they really are a fruit v. a veggie...

Yes, we have no grapefruits!

We are pfresh, not super.

You know who else is a pfresh? Me. You know who sells grapefruits? Me. Your PAs are not ordering them.

You seem very inconsiderate given she had third degree burns

The coffee gave the woman third degree burns and she required skin grafts you dingus.

Former barista & Mickey D worker here.
McD had been warned multiple times for excessive temps with its coffee (over 700 prior claims). They willfully ignored them despite warnings from their own quality assurance manager.
The lady offered to settle for the cost of her injuries - $20K - but McD refused so they were hit hard with punitive damages that were reduced on appeal to $480K.
At Starbucks, the brew water temps are 200 degrees - enough for serious scalding - which is why drinks made with hot water directly from the brew tap are double-cupped.
Spill that on your cajones & tell me THAT wouldn't leave you screaming like a tea kettle.

We're an A-vol Pfresh in a cross-cut area: families, multiple colleges, tech area, rural/urban farm communities.

This is family country with large rural areas of farms, and suburbs .. They eat meat and veggies! They don't want nut juice. they come and get milk, even if it is that milky water stuff.

The so-called 'niche foods' fly off the shelves here; don't see them on the clearance endcap.

Nope, not on clearance, right to the defectives or QMOS via SDA or when we push dry...

Taco kits is about as spanish as things are going to get that sell.. maybe some one decides. The farm workers do not shop here.

We also have significant Jewish

If they are requiring strict adherence to those kinds of food restrictions, they ain't shopping here. As we don't have anything that is "kosher" unless it came that way already from the manufcaturer. We most certainly don't separate things out as they would need. So if they are here there is none who I see in the AM which would visibly be in that group, through dress etc..

, Hindi & Muslim communities & they shop our store because we're cheaper than the 'specialty' stores.

There is no such groups in small or large number here. And this area would not be friendly to such groups.

Wait a minute. They take their break and you send them home early?!

I am fairly certain that that is retaliation on YOUR part for people taking the break they are ENTITLED to.

If I'm not mistaken someone should call the hotline on your ass

They are not sent home early. They are schedule 15 mins less and some times only the 3 hours. Where as other get 3.5.

Take a break all you want, but the rest of the team is working, and making up for your break.

Go right ahead call the hotline be sure to list that the ETLOG sets the rule, does the schedule (NO TL's do it here not since myTime), and that ETLHR is aware but cutting hours is more important, and

of 30 TM(s) only 4 have an issue, so we let them have their break, they get scheduled less, matter of fact they take their break at the end of the day, so work, sit for 15 mins and then go home! The way the rest of the team looks at is I am wasting 15 minutes of THEIR TIME with that break. Then if you want people to say and they might have to take a lunch...!! Nope they will stay till the 5.9 mark, and go, a few that are greedy hour suckers like I was will , and the FDC only if absolutely positively needed...

Not every one wants to sit around.. other than those 4, they want to come in get the work done, and go home or whatever it is they are in a big rush to go do..which I don't need to know! ;)

Thanks for removing all doubt.

Its called the MELTING POT, and that is what made America great, but the heat is no longer enough groups come here and don't melt.

And many countries especially Scandinavian countries have classes that are required for immigration. Like LEARNING THE LANGUAGE! LOCAL CUSTOMS etc..

You think it won't happen? BS! If some one can sue and WIN over getting a HOT coffee this can happen!

If you're referring to Liebeck v McDonalds, that coffee was kept at just over 180 degrees, and caused third degree burns and required extensive skin grafting. Most coffee is served at 140ish degrees, and even around that temperature it is possible for the substance to cause burns, so serving it over 40 degrees higher is insanely irresponsible. It was a completely unsafe temperature for consumption and was a serious safety hazard. She wracked up over $20,000 in medical bills because of McDonald's negligence. Plus, during discovery, it was found that there were an additional 700 incidents involved with coffee burns from 1982 to 1992 (Source:The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case).

Nobody here wants them... maybe they will sell with the hams.. but all they do is sit, collect mold, and get squishy... so just another QMOS leader here!
Just shows that every area is different. What sells for one area might not do well in yours looks like it. And what you see don't sell, sells really well else where.

and those *(&(&* hallos that guest leave the boxes!
I hate it when the guest doesn't take their FREE box !!
We have single grapefruit. Oh and you forgot ... Mangos, Kiwi. What about Apples, the lil Snappers and the Spiderman Apples are such a hits too.

Pineapples we sell about 1 case a day, about 8 Pineapples, we have 2 baskets and 12 on the floor at any given time.

Do you mean for the purpose of strategically placing the endcaps? Technically everything is laid out on the adjacency map so if location isn't important, you could just follow that. If I won't be setting the endcaps myself, I'll typically walk with the PPTL to show where I want particular sales plans. It's good to have a plan, whether you make your own or follow Target's.

Where on the workbench that you can find this adjacency? I once or twice mapped out a few SPL but my TL usually does this. I just build it.

Where on the workbench that you can find this adjacency? I once or twice mapped out a few SPL but my TL usually does this. I just build it.
Your PPTL should have department maps, detailing what should go where and which endcaps are which.

Just shows that every area is different. What sells for one area might not do well in yours looks like it. And what you see don't sell, sells really well else where.

Which very much goes with my point of focusing (I'm trying so hard not to use the word targeting) the products that are carried to the area is very important.
In the area I lived in NJ, Kosher was very important but it certainly isn't in most areas.
Certain kinds of foods might seem like fads in some areas but are staples and will continue to be for a long time, in other areas.
Knowing that and not making every market the same collection of food will make a huge difference to sales.

Something else that drove me crazy was that Target would have fruit and vegetables imported from other countries on the shelves when it was harvest time in NJ.
Why not do something about trying to local produce into the stores so that it is fresh and you support the local economy?
People will buy more if they see it is local.

Last edited:
Something else that drove me crazy was that Target would have fruit and vegetables imported from other countries on the shelves when it was harvest time in NJ.
This.
I'm in an area rife with urban AND rural farms & many restaurants here pride themselves on buying 'fresh & local'.
Our major grocery chain does the same on produce which keeps costs significantly lower.
It would be nice if spot could recognize regional differences in food offerings.
Imagine cutting waste by such a move but that's crazy talk.

Back