Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

An employer asking an employee to extend past scheduled hours is like an employee walking in during off time and saying to clock them in when you weren't going to have them work.

If you wanted them, you should have scheduled them.

It is perfectly reasonable to complain about hours not being given upfront, since people do schedule their lives around the work schedules initially presented. Being pressured to add on hours, screw the life schedule, and then punished by future short schedules is all sorts of wrong.

Maybe you should really think about the level of chaos you are pressuring people to accept, and rather than short them hours later, offer an orderly schedule with all hours assigned up front.

An employer asking an employee to extend past scheduled hours is like an employee walking in during off time and saying to clock them in when you weren't going to have them work.

If you wanted them, you should have scheduled them.

It is perfectly reasonable to complain about hours not being given upfront, since people do schedule their lives around the work schedules initially presented. Being pressured to add on hours, screw the life schedule, and then punished by future short schedules is all sorts of wrong.

Maybe you should really think about the level of chaos you are pressuring people to accept, and rather than short them hours later, offer an orderly schedule with all hours assigned up front.
You’ve obviously never had to write a schedule.

You’ve obviously never had to write a schedule.
No, but it's a pretty simple concept. You tell them the times that you need them. Anything outside of that is their time. You shouldn't be adding on after the fact and then punishing them with future low hours when they didn't sacrifice Self at the altar of Work. Their time, you gave it to them, don't punish them when you try to take it away and they refuse to be submissive.

And honestly, it's said all the time here, and I've heard it elsewhere. Schedulers have a certain number of hours. They can't go above, and if they go below they lose future hours. Math isn't fuzzy, if every single hour is assigned then there are zero remaining. You have to be taking away elsewhere midweek to suddenly have extra that you want to pressure people into accepting.

Businesses aren't dominant masters over their workers. Businesses don't own their workers 24/7, except for certain salary conditions that I'm sure the average TM is not paid under. You say when you want them and when you don't want them, you shouldn't be surprised if they hold you to when you didn't want them in the first place and you shouldn't think you own their entire life and should punish them when they don't happily hand over more of their life to you.

Stores get extra hours to spend all the time if from nothing else than thru call outs. Right now, my store is being given a ridiculous amoutn of extra hours after the schedules are written because the initial allotment from corporate was incredibly low and we're continuing to crush sales goals and adding trucks at the last minute.

It is a somewhat unfortunate part of human nature that people are more willing to accommodate others who are willing to help them when needed. Those who are willing to help out the store and work additional hours when needed are going to be given some preference in scheduling. That's just how life works. My store isn't especially draconian about this. We have a lot of single mothers and TMs who don't have their own vehicles to get to work. They aren't going to get punished for that.

I understand both sides of scheduling because I have been on both sides.

At my former job we were given an allotment of hours, and depending on how things were going, we may have been able to overschedule a little or we may have had to stick to the exact amount. We sometimes even had to cut more hours after the schedule was done, always a good time. Where extra hours usually came in was when someone called out, or we found out we were going to have a big visit and needed help to get ready. I would ask my people and if they agreed to stay or come in extra, I was always very thankful - and if they said no, c'est la vie - I would not hold it against them. Now, if I asked one person three times in the last month and they said no and someone else said yes, I may be more likely to call the one who said yes before I called the naysayer, but as long as the first one came in when scheduled and there were no other attendance issues, I would not punish them by not giving them hours.

As a part-time TM, I've rarely been scheduled a decent amount of hours but many times have been able to pick up extra, but scrounging for hours was a hard thing for me to get used to as I was full-time for most of my tenure at my previous job. Usually when asked to stay or come in I will say yes, but there have been times when I was tired or had plans or just did not feel like staying and said no. Sometimes when you have your mind set on leaving at a certain time and then get asked to stay, you just don't want to at that particular time, and as long as you are otherwise a good and reliable worker, that should be ok and one should not get punished.

Even as a manager, I would often under-schedule myself to give my people more hours, figuring I would just stay a little later a few days to make up for it - but when the time came that I knew I could leave, I would just fly out the door.

No, but it's a pretty simple concept. You tell them the times that you need them. Anything outside of that is their time. You shouldn't be adding on after the fact and then punishing them with future low hours when they didn't sacrifice Self at the altar of Work. Their time, you gave it to them, don't punish them when you try to take it away and they refuse to be submissive.

And honestly, it's said all the time here, and I've heard it elsewhere. Schedulers have a certain number of hours. They can't go above, and if they go below they lose future hours. Math isn't fuzzy, if every single hour is assigned then there are zero remaining. You have to be taking away elsewhere midweek to suddenly have extra that you want to pressure people into accepting.

Businesses aren't dominant masters over their workers. Businesses don't own their workers 24/7, except for certain salary conditions that I'm sure the average TM is not paid under. You say when you want them and when you don't want them, you shouldn't be surprised if they hold you to when you didn't want them in the first place and you shouldn't think you own their entire life and should punish them when they don't happily hand over more of their life to you.
Lol it’s not about being dominant masters. It’s retail. Supply and demand literally controls payroll. Don’t like it? Bye.

It is when you give someone 24 hours, pressure them to add on 5 more at the last minute, and if they say no then give them only 12 hours the next week because you feel they aren't a "team player", ie drop all of life to cater to your poor scheduling.

I would put that out in the main aisles flex on a white Gifting fixture and price cut to 99 cents
No matter the original price
Mark it down to sell it out the door.

our food director will not let us tpc dry consumables, only perishables. corporate won't admit it but they know they fucked up with their purchasing after the initial panic buying and dumping all their inventory into the stores.

Anyone in Freezerland dealing with this MTFZ nonsense in the recent revision? Pfresh store not STarget. We've been re-sent the same rev 4 times now in the last 4 weeks with changes in each of them. It started with the rev calling for 7 doors when our current adjacency is only 6.

Mysupport came through and resent a revised revision after we reported this but all the GG reverted back to MP on the label strips. We set it thinking nothing of it.

The following week we are sent ANOTHER rev for MTFZ this time with new product incorporated in it from the 7 door rev. Still no GG, but now it's AF. We set that.

They then send a 4th one without the new product from the 7 door rev (They had uncondensed items that had 2 facings to 1 and then back to 2). This time it was finally GG product. No word from them or even an apology, but in total Ive wasted nearly 8 hours on this 1.5 hour pog. They should seriously refund payroll for this. Anyone else get this nonsense?

Anyone in Freezerland dealing with this MTFZ nonsense in the recent revision? Pfresh store not STarget. We've been re-sent the same rev 4 times now in the last 4 weeks with changes in each of them. It started with the rev calling for 7 doors when our current adjacency is only 6.

Mysupport came through and resent a revised revision after we reported this but all the GG reverted back to MP on the label strips. We set it thinking nothing of it.

The following week we are sent ANOTHER rev for MTFZ this time with new product incorporated in it from the 7 door rev. Still no GG, but now it's AF. We set that.

They then send a 4th one without the new product from the 7 door rev (They had uncondensed items that had 2 facings to 1 and then back to 2). This time it was finally GG product. No word from them or even an apology, but in total Ive wasted nearly 8 hours on this 1.5 hour pog. They should seriously refund payroll for this. Anyone else get this nonsense?

Not us but I get as much payroll as I can use now so it wouldn't bother me too much.

What do you guys do when you get produce that doesn’t scan and you normally don’t sell? Like pears that are sold per pound and I’m not a super target. Or lately we have been getting bags of potatoes or apples that the scan won’t scan. My co worker throws them out. I print shelf labels and stick them on (Looks bad) or get with the cashiers to price a pear.

What do you guys do when you get produce that doesn’t scan and you normally don’t sell? Like pears that are sold per pound and I’m not a super target. Or lately we have been getting bags of potatoes or apples that the scan won’t scan. My co worker throws them out. I print shelf labels and stick them on (Looks bad) or get with the cashiers to price a pear.

We just qmos and donate. You can also use a handheld printer to print upcs and stick on anything packaged.

Is anyone else getting a good 39+ hours for the next three weeks coz I feel overworked but excited. Are We in Q2 already.

im curious how long does it take for a PA to order ? cant be no more than 20 min right cuz our lazy PA sits in the office for an hour or hour and a half "ordering". Everyday too. ive caught our PA on their phone texting. u know that hour is at least 2 uboats worth of push. Our PA doesnt seem to help us push pfresh and just do their usual routine of Cull, Qmos and push top essentials : bananas, eggs, milk.

im curious how long does it take for a PA to order ? cant be no more than 20 min right cuz our lazy PA sits in the office for an hour or hour and a half "ordering". Everyday too. ive caught our PA on their phone texting. u know that hour is at least 2 uboats worth of push. Our PA doesnt seem to help us push pfresh and just do their usual routine of Cull, Qmos and push top essentials : bananas, eggs, milk.
It takes 15 to 20 minutes. There is an order guide under mywork and it makes it so fast and easy. Does your store still have a PA?

We don't have a PA. It takes me 10 minutes max to write the order. I typically do it as I break down the truck because I know exactly what I have and what I need. We're a pfresh. If I had a TM that wanted to waste a hour writing the order, they'd get that responsibility yanked.

10 minutes top. Use the order guide in mywork simple and fast. Look at what’s on the way so you know what’d coming the next day and not to order too much or too little. This finally lets you decrease a quantity if you enter way too many. Also some dcpi have a limit on the number you can order so that helps too.

yeah 2 of our PA unfortunately takes advantage of the fact that our ETL is new and dont know much about it i think. Theirs not much around to it. i cant report them either cuz theyll probably just make stuff up to cover themselves.

Anyone else having trouble getting the whole watermelons in. You know code 4032.
my fdc has none since May 29th. I’ve been ordering 3 pallets everyday but none show up
I could easily sell 1 pallet a day come on it’s summer and hot. All I have are the mini watermelon that no one wants.

Anyone else having trouble getting the whole watermelons in. You know code 4032.
my fdc has none since May 29th. I’ve been ordering 3 pallets everyday but none show up
I could easily sell 1 pallet a day come on it’s summer and hot. All I have are the mini watermelon that no one wants.
You could have ours although they’ve already leaked all over the floor.

Back