Is your store having all TL’s close the store themselves?

My store is giving almost every TL keys and a passcode and having them close the store on weekends alone. It’s already started with style TL’s closing by themselves and the SETL’s. Now it’s on to the GM TL’s. If other stores are doing this I was wondering what kind of training you got. We are getting 2 closes with our Closing TL and a safe and secure walk. Seems inadequate to me to say the least.

I am honestly down right frightened to close the store myself ! Haven’t had to do it yet but I bet I leave before I do it twice.

Yeah I wouldn't know about this because my store is weird with this. There's two-three key carrier TL's at my store who never and probably will never close. There's only one that's actually on the weekend rotation.

Now this might change if they require it but I'm pretty sure the previous Senior who is on the weekend rotation is the only TL other than the Closing TL who my STL would want closing the store lol.

My store is giving almost every TL keys and a passcode and having them close the store on weekends alone. It’s already started with style TL’s closing by themselves and the SETL’s. Now it’s on to the GM TL’s. If other stores are doing this I was wondering what kind of training you got. We are getting 2 closes with our Closing TL and a safe and secure walk. Seems inadequate to me to say the least.
That’s modernization for you

Only certain TLs and ETLs at my store have to be part of the closing weekend rotation, not sure why

It's always been one TL closing my store on weekends, along with his one cashier and one salesfloor TM. Not my idea of a good time yo

Only certain TLs and ETLs at my store have to be part of the closing weekend rotation, not sure why
Probably the ones that are comfortable with it. Some districts are forcing all TLs and some are just making sure they have the minimum of 7 key holders

I support this. Why shouldn't every TL have keys to the store? We all get paid the same amount whether we have keys or not. Seems mighty unjust that only key carriers should be burdened with ensuring that the store is closed and secure at night. And with more key carriers, there's less weekends we'd get stuck closing. Not to mention those random days when the Closing TL takes vacation.

My store is a low vol, we only have 7 key carriers.

I support this. Why shouldn't every TL have keys to the store? We all get paid the same amount whether we have keys or not. Seems mighty unjust that only key carriers should be burdened with ensuring that the store is closed and secure at night. And with more key carriers, there's less weekends we'd get stuck closing. Not to mention those random days when the Closing TL takes vacation.

My store is a low vol, we only have 7 key carriers.
Well I make $20,000 less than the 2 former Sr. TL’s at my store and at least $25,000 less than any etl at my store so please don’t tell me we all make the same $

Well I make $20,000 less than the 2 former Sr. TL’s at my store and at least $25,000 less than any etl at my store so please don’t tell me we all make the same $
So you are complaining about having to close,Right? Its none of your business who makes what. Keep your 🤬 nose out of other people’s business and wallet. It’s pathetic.

So you are complaining about having to close,Right? Its none of your business who makes what. Keep your 🤬 nose out of other people’s business and wallet. It’s pathetic.
I don’t actually mind it, others are freaked. It is totally my business what my peers make. Thanks for the positive feedback tho

If you need more training then ask. We had several team leads take 2 months of training because they didn't feel right doing it by themselves. I took my alottted time and went with the flow. I asked a ton of questions because I didn't want my SD to think I couldn't handle closing.

It’s honestly not that hard.
I disagree. It is heavily dependent on the store and the store culture. My Closing Lead (who works M-F) has developed good routines with their closing TMs and makes closing pretty easy. The definition of closing really varies store to store.

My SD expects a lot to be done at closing. So it isn’t just lock up the building and make sure everyone gets out. It’s making sure we come clean on pulls, clean on freight, making sure the project from the day have been completed and of course making sure the store looks A++ for the next morning. For a LV store that is rising to becoming a mid volume store, nights like last Saturday (with me as the closing lead) really sucked. No payroll, couldn’t replace call ins, everyone had to leave at their scheduled time. It hurt. But we made up for it by setting up the store to recover the following day.

ASANTS...

The etls close on sat sun. There are 3 tls to choose from to close when the closing tl takes vacation. Otherwise tls don’t close.

I think , right now, closing TL is one of the easiest position at Target.
With GM and specialty taking/doing a brunt of the duties (zone/push/backstock/plano) the closer literally comes in to just close the store.
If closer is unable to get shi* done he/she can blame it on poor performance during the day by GM and other teams.

Back