Archived Issue with breaks at my store

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had a problem with certain GSAs/GSTLs and breaks at my store recently. Whenever I work the service desk, and one GSA in particular is working, I only get my lunch break. My shift is 8am-4:30pm. What he will do, he will wait inside TSC and see what time I clock in. I always clock in at 7:55 since I need those 5 minutes to make sure my desk is all straightened out and stocked before I begin taking guests. Break-wise, he will literally wait until I have 5 minutes or less until hitting compliance, then sends me on my lunch. Typically I get my lunch between 1:45 and 1:50, and will not get my other two 15 minute breaks. There are also times where I with have to leave the desk to help other TMs on registers because he will stand around talking to other TMs and ignore their change requests, so I have to do it for him. I feel this is not right at all. Last week he had an ETL cover the front end for 30 minutes. He was supposed to take his 15, give me mine, then return to the front end. Apparently he took a 30 minute break instead of covering me as well. The ETL had no idea until later when he came to cover my lunch and I asked him about it. He said sorry and said take a 40 minute lunch to compensate.

Other GSAs will make sure I get the first 15 minute break and the lunch, but also neglect that second 15, despite my shifts being 8-10 hours every time. Is it like this at your store as well? Or do we just need to speak with someone about this at our store?

Oh and Etl breaks are as long as they want, and he also farked you for 10m of pay if you didn't punch back in, plus you popped up on a report that said you took a long lunch, which is a negative thing

Depends on the laws in your state, but this would warrant an HR visit or even reporting it via the hotline.

Oh no I wasn't stupid, I punched back in after 31 minutes like they tell us to do at our store. I just didn't know if it's this way at other stores, the ETL-GE says that's just how service desk breaks are at Target, and most of our GSAa/TLs seem to just go with that. It's stressful at our service desk. A high volume store and it gets hectic up there sometimes. It's posted in TSC that if your shift is over 7 hours after the lunch taken out, you're required the two 15s as well. I've brought that to their attention, and GE said that's not for service desk TMs.

Pretty sure it's illegal to say that Cashiers/Salesfloor/Backroom/whatever get 2 15 minute breaks but Service Desk does not.
Its not only illegal, but most importantly ( :p ) its against target policy, Walmart got sued for millions of dollars for not letting their tms take breaks within a certain time frame

You need to get on the radio and every 5min call out "GSTL who is covering my break?" wait 5min for every non answer and ask again. You don't wait to given your breaks you firmly ask and keep asking. And everyday you weren't given your breaks they should be paying you for them.

You need to get on the radio and every 5min call out "GSTL who is covering my break?" wait 5min for every non answer and ask again. You don't wait to given your breaks you firmly ask and keep asking. And everyday you weren't given your breaks they should be paying you for them.
Sounds like an lod call more than etl

When ignored by the GSTL move onto the LOD.

When ignored by the GSTL move onto the LOD.
Start off lod if you have that much issue

Wow...just...wow...you should get your two fifteen minute breaks, no questions asked. There are times when it is an absolute pain to get them covered with my cashiers in the mix and everything I want to get done...but every single one of my cashiers and guest service TMs get their breaks. Always.

HL TL had my first break crossed out and my lunch moved to when my first break was. You bet your damn ass I'm taking a 15 when my lunch was supposed to be. If I were you, I would just announce I was going and go.

You could take a "long lunch" 31, clock back in, then 30 more, or leave your station 30 mins early & take two 15s back to back right at the end of your shift because you are due them. The second option appeals to me more because that shows you gave them every opportunity to give your break at a reasonable time.

You could take a "long lunch" 31, clock back in, then 30 more, or leave your station 30 mins early & take two 15s back to back right at the end of your shift because you are due them. The second option appeals to me more because that shows you gave them every opportunity to give your break at a reasonable time.
Spoken like a true tm

Hi. This is very serious. You need to talk to your ETL about this. Then STL if still happening in a week. Give them a chance to fix it. If no change after talking to STL, then call the Integrity Hotline. Target rules is that you get a break, then lunch then second break, in that order. Long lunches are against Target policy.

Hi. This is very serious. You need to talk to your ETL about this. Then STL if still happening in a week. Give them a chance to fix it. If no change after talking to STL, then call the Integrity Hotline. Target rules is that you get a break, then lunch then second break, in that order. Long lunches are against Target policy.
Lol integrity hotline..... What a joke... Plus I already mentioned long lunches showed up on a report. /repeat

local state dept of labor, they love stuff like this. Cause if you are not getting your breaks they should be paying you an extra 1/2 hr for missing your breaks. Yes your breaks are paid but you get paid additional money when you can't take them.

Actual both options you posted are also against break rules. You can not combine breaks or use breaks at the end of your shift.

I've had the GSA's/GSTL neglect to give me my final break probably 5 or so times, but I certainly, as a normal procedure get them, while working on the service desk.

"Cause if you are not getting your breaks they should be paying you an extra 1/2 hr for missing your breaks. Yes your breaks are paid but you get paid additional money when you can't take them."

If that last part is true, Spot owes me some money!

It's posted in TSC that if your shift is over 7 hours after the lunch taken out, you're required the two 15s as well. I've brought that to their attention, and GE said that's not for service desk TMs.

That's complete bullshit. That applies to ALL hourly team members. I know service desk can be stressful and you don't want to leave it unmanned, but it is completely not right to stiff you out of any breaks. You need to speak to HR to have this TL reprimanded. Worst case scenario if conversations with your TL or HR don't work, then speak to STL or HRBP. If still no progress, call the tm hotline. Then go through your normal days and if you see that your coming down to your last hour, take your 15, come back for ten minutes or so, and then take another 15 to ensure you are given your breaks. This may cause friction between you and the TL, but any follow up from the corporate level will be on your side.

Actual both options you posted are also against break rules. You can not combine breaks or use breaks at the end of your shift.
But if they try to use that against me, I could always use the fact they didn't give me the breaks to begin with against them ;)

"Cause if you are not getting your breaks they should be paying you an extra 1/2 hr for missing your breaks. Yes your breaks are paid but you get paid additional money when you can't take them."

If that last part is true, Spot owes me some money!
Same here, if it's true, they owe me for at least one 15, some days two 15s, at least 3-4 days the past 5 months since I've been working service desk.

There's also a day or 2 a week where I come in at 6am to unload a truck from McLane distribution, our checklane candy distributor, and stock the checklane candy. I always try to take my break at 8am, which is 2 hours in like I'm supposed to, and the doors are open so I can go take my morning smoke break. But they neglect to schedule an opening cashier, so they pull me from my task and stick me as a cashier, and I also don't get a break until my lunch. I'm a little more understanding with that one, but our service desk break situation is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back