Archived It's time for me to get out of Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fa, I know what it is to like work with a new stl. Our etl's have a 360 except 2. 4 tl's have quit or demoted. Patience is req'd, if other job opps come up, apply for them. I love my 2nd job. But, my spot 401k is doing really good right now.

*gives Formina a hug & a cold drink*
There's a tipping point many of us reach when we go from being pro-spot to wondering what else is out there. It's sounds like you've reached it but you're still young enough to build a good career elsewhere.
Listen to your heart but use your head.

you know it's time to leave Target when you are able to get a deferment on your student loans based on under/unemployment.
I have been frustrated as all get out at the work center I was in so I asked for a transfer/promotion to another center. I received it and more frustration.

I do have a question....when you are in more than one work center what do you put on your resume?

you know it's time to leave Target when you are able to get a deferment on your student loans based on under/unemployment.
I have been frustrated as all get out at the work center I was in so I asked for a transfer/promotion to another center. I received it and more frustration.

I do have a question....when you are in more than one work center what do you put on your resume?

I fell into the same category and had to defer my loans as well. It's nice and it sucks at the same time.

I put on mine the work center I was in and what the duties were. Example: Photo Team Member. Responsible for printing guests' photos, cashiering, and assisting the checklanes when needed. Also trained in stocking, answering phones, etc. Something like that, because I did practically EVERYTHING in my store. Of course, when you're applying for teaching, they don't really care what you did in retail. :)

Best advice I can give - if you are going to continue to work in retail, use the Target titles/workcenter names on your application. Other reatailers *will* care and understand what you did.

If you are leaving Target, do *not* use Target terminology. 99% of the time no one outside of target will know what the hell you are talking about. When I was doing my SCEA interview, the interviewer (my boss) didn't know WTF a "team leader" was.... He had no idea it was an actual supervisory job and was under the impression it was something like a "team trainer" - not actually a real position, just something they call you to make you feel special. I had to spend about 10 minutes explaining to him what I did, and that a "team leader" was an actual supervisory job with real authority.

I would recommend that if you are a TL you put "department manager" on your job applications. If you are a team member, I would recommend you put something like "sales associate/cashier/stocker/etc" - basically terminology that people understand outside of target.

If you are applying at a retailer - make sure to list *all* workcenters you work in. If you are applying outside of retail, just put whatever job you did at target that required the most responsibility. People outside of retail honestly don't care that you were a cashier/flow/and sales floor because outside of retail none of that matters.

It's about time for me to sound off regarding this subject. Ever since my promotion I've become more and more disenchanted with Target and especially with my store. My promotion to TL came right around the time we got a new STL in the building after our former one left the company (of her own volition). Morale has since tanked. The entire Logistics side of our store is completely broken. We can't finish trucks due to severely understaffed Flow and Backroom teams. Our ETL-LOG is clueless and spends more time in the TMSC phoning his wife. Our STL is hellbent on having a Golden Contribution store so payroll is allocated at a bare minimum (looking at logistics, flow gets about 660 hours, backroom 230, backroom day 150, instocks a measly 60 hours.) And yet we still go over. Last month we overspent by over 400 hours (this was partly due to the need to come clean for inventory, but our Flow TL will never fail to call in extra people or ask people to stay late - there's no communication between the FlowTL and ETL). The STL is over the top about the Vibe and it's ridiculous thinking that we are expected to put guests first yet finish our tasks with our staffing situation and the way we're scheduled.

As a leader in the building, it's increasingly more challenging for me to come in every day with a happy face and try to engage and inspire a team that is so completely worn out and sick of seeing a truck full of freight to be worked, a stockroom full of backstock, and no additional help. I walked in last week and an hour later, very nearly walked back out, never to return. I spent a full two minutes thinking about it. I'm behind about 3 business walks, I have a 90 day review to give but can't because I haven't even seen the person I need to give it to, and a team that is *****ing about their hours getting cut despite the fact that there's no one else to schedule. I'm a 21 year old guy who should be finishing his degree, living it up and having the time of his life but instead I'm working myself to death for a company that doesn't appreciate me (I got written up for working 40.34 hours a few weeks ago. Clearly, Target and my store do not value my time the way they used to.)

In every previous workcenter, I've been passionate about my work and take pride in the way I do things. Now, I can never seem to finish things and 99 percent of the time, I leave feeling defeated, and I know that my backroom team does the same. I can't do it anymore. A month or so ago I applied to be a merchandiser for a very well known soda company and I received the job. It is only part time but I was assured it would be full time before I knew it. Since I will be moving as well, I asked for a demotion and transfer to a Super target much closer to my new home. I asked to be in presentation since I really know the workcenter and would be a pretty valuable asset to their team. I'm waiting to hear back on the transfer but I told my HR that my last day in my current store would be 10/31.

I was a Softlines TL but identical issues to what you're talking about payroll wise. My store is close to an A volume and they were only giving us two closers a night in softlines. Granted, some stores could probably survive with this but my store was high volume for RTW, Girls and Boys, and Mens.. so it would always be so trashed and it just killed everyone's morale. I would come in during an adjacency set and not know if I should do abandons instead, or if I should zone because there were clothes on the floor .. or if I should do my business walk or coachings... I couldn't fake the FFF any longer. The only thing that made me smile was knowing that I was trying to find a new job. Sorry to be so depressing but it's not even my store .. it's the company. I could go on and on but I'm done with Target so what's the point?

and btw if you have more than 5k in your 401k you can keep it exactly where it is even if you leave the company.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back