I've been trying to get hired as an ETL/TL, am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I tried to get into an ETL position because I have a BA (it's in a social science, please don't mock me) and need to survive/pay off loans. That didn't work, so now I am thinking a TL position would be fine with me. Any TL position. I have bills. Yes, I have tried other temp and office jobs. I. Have. Bills.

If I apply for a TL position, should I leave out my BA and just include my AA degrees? I have retail, mentor, volunteer, and general office experience. Am I missing something? Do I need to lie on my resume and pretend like I had more retail experience? Is there a magic formula here to get an interview?

If there is no position, they won't interview you. For an outside hire TL, they want some retail leadership experience. BA is fine.

If there is no position, they won't interview you. For an outside hire TL, they want some retail leadership experience. BA is fine.
I've been applying to job postings on the target website. I have regular retail experience and a BA, AA in management and AA in business. Is that enough?

I've been applying to job postings on the target website. I have regular retail experience and a BA, AA in management and AA in business. Is that enough?
Go into the store and ask if they have look at your application. Leave your name for HR. Then if nothing happens go in one more time and ask the same thing. Leave your name for HR again.

Is there some reason you want to specifically work at Target as opposed to somewhere other place?

It sounds like you have more relevant work experience than the external ETLs our store has hired.

Job searches are frustrating and companies don't hire people for various reasons.

That being said any place I have applied to in the past I only give a two to three week window to get back to me. If not I just move on to the next company and go from there.

Go into the store and ask if they have look at your application. Leave your name for HR. Then if nothing happens go in one more time and ask the same thing. Leave your name for HR again.

I will do that. Thank you.

Is there some reason you want to specifically work at Target as opposed to somewhere other place?

It sounds like you have more relevant work experience than the external ETLs our store has hired.

Job searches are frustrating and companies don't hire people for various reasons.

That being said any place I have applied to in the past I only give a two to three week window to get back to me. If not I just move on to the next company and go from there.

Target is the highest paying retail outlet around here. Even the entry level administrative jobs are asking for 1-3 years of experience, bilingual, etc. I'm working on my language skills but I can't become bilingual fast enough to pay my bills this month. I need full time and a TL or ETL position would help that. I want to use target as a stepping stone to eventually either move up to a district position (potentially trying to get an MBA in the future) or even become a retail manager somewhere else.
I have college grad friends working at fast food. it's tough around here.
No, I can't afford to move.
No, my university isn't helping me. They are saying I need to give them more money for a Master's degree.

I worked at spot for 10 years and had my bs in general management and it took me a while to get a tl position. Ill admit it was my fault for not pushing enough and just taking the promise thatll happen soon. Spot seems to only hire spot interns or significant experience for etl near me atleast. Id say your qualified enough for a tl position but it is a very competitive market rn so id work on interview skills and some type leadership experience that you can throw in there for reference.
Ps i only got my opportunity when i told them i was going to leave for another job and they magically had an opening for me the next day 🙃

Target is the highest paying retail outlet around here. Even the entry level administrative jobs are asking for 1-3 years of experience, bilingual, etc. I'm working on my language skills but I can't become bilingual fast enough to pay my bills this month. I need full time and a TL or ETL position would help that. I want to use target as a stepping stone to eventually either move up to a district position (potentially trying to get an MBA in the future) or even become a retail manager somewhere else.
I have college grad friends working at fast food. it's tough around here.
No, I can't afford to move.
No, my university isn't helping me. They are saying I need to give them more money for a Master's degree.

Is your school accredited properly, or did you attend a degree factory?

I realize that you want a ETL position at Target.

Does a TL position at another retailer COMPARABLE to what Target might pay?

Last edited:
I realize that you want a ETL position at Target.

Does a TL position at another retailer COMPARABLE to what Target might pay?

Supervisor and lead positions are like one dollar above minimum wage here.
I would even be happy with a TL position at target.

At first I tried to get into an ETL position because I have a BA (it's in a social science, please don't mock me) and need to survive/pay off loans. That didn't work, so now I am thinking a TL position would be fine with me. Any TL position. I have bills. Yes, I have tried other temp and office jobs. I. Have. Bills.

If I apply for a TL position, should I leave out my BA and just include my AA degrees? I have retail, mentor, volunteer, and general office experience. Am I missing something? Do I need to lie on my resume and pretend like I had more retail experience? Is there a magic formula here to get an interview?
Do yourself a favor and don't apply. You can apply for much better work elsewhere. Your better than horrible trash. The stress is not worth paying bills.

Do yourself a favor and don't apply. You can apply for much better work elsewhere. Your better than horrible trash. The stress is not worth paying bills.
I appreciate that, but I have applied to other entry level jobs and internships and so many places are asking for several years of experience just to answer a phone in my area. I need a place to live and to keep a roof over my head and retail might be my only option here. My bilingual friend with a much better degree works at a fast food place. My other friend works at starbucks. It took her three years to get a promotion. I have to survive.

My suggestion would be apply for any available position and work your way up to TL/ETL

No no. If he’s applying for etl the resume goes to the district office. The store won’t see it. If they’re the ones receiving it that’s why nothing is happening.

Based on the store I worked for in years, Target tends to hire ETLs from their Target school. If they are hiring outside, usually we have ETLs who already worked from major retail stores. And as for TLs, our Target usually hires within or if there is a transfer TL. And if they are hiring outside, like I mentioned they also have to have retail experience with a lead position.

Based on the store I worked for in years, Target tends to hire ETLs from their Target school. If they are hiring outside, usually we have ETLs who already worked from major retail stores. And as for TLs, our Target usually hires within or if there is a transfer TL. And if they are hiring outside, like I mentioned they also have to have retail experience with a lead position.
In my store the ETLs from Target School have always been terrible and the external ETLs have been great.

So in my store we have had 22 year olds with no relevant work experience and 42 year olds with 20 years of experience as managers.

I have also never seen a current TL moving up to an ETL because it's like "10% more pay for 90% more work".

I have bills.

You keep saying this as if it's unique, but so does everyone else. It's not Target's problem. It doesn't make you entitled to the position that you want at Target. If you can't make ends meet working the jobs that Target has available/will hire you for, then you're going to have to look somewhere else. You might *gasp* have to do what your friends have done and settle for something that you think is beneath you for awhile.

Millions of people are out of work and have bills to pay right now. They can't all get management jobs at Target.

You have the wrong approach.

You can submit your resume to 50 thousand jobs, 10 might call you.

You need personal contact. Go physically talk to the hiring manager. Hunt down the recruiter on linkedin and message them.

Unemployment is double digits right now, which leads to a situation where there is an oversaturation of high skilled workers in the talent pool willing to work for cheap. Remember those bills you have? They have them too. Many of these people are probably more qualified than you.

Without some sort of personal interaction (the result of which puts your resume on top of the pile), you're going to continue to have no results.

This advice is not specific to Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back