I've been trying to get hired as an ETL/TL, am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this person.
I am looking for a another fantastic HQ or remote working People Analytics Director to join my leadership team. This new role will have a big impact as we reimagine and advance the People Analytics capabilities at Target. Know anyone? Have them apply or send them my way.
#peopleanalytics #target #hiring #talentanalytics

In my store the ETLs from Target School have always been terrible and the external ETLs have been great.

So in my store we have had 22 year olds with no relevant work experience and 42 year olds with 20 years of experience as managers.

I have also never seen a current TL moving up to an ETL because it's like "10% more pay for 90% more work".

Same in my store. Majority of the fresh graduates or from Target school tend to think they can change everything around, but failed to get to know the people that are working with them especially the team members. As for the external hires that has retail experience, you can see that they already have experience especially when it comes to dealing with team members. Based from my experience the external hires have more compassion.

As for the thread starter, you can’t just focused on this one potential job. With the high unemployment, it’s going to be competitive even if you have a bachelor’s degree, because for sure you are also competing with people who have degrees and years of experience. I understand that you have bills to pay, but with this time you have to keep an open mind. Maybe you have to get two jobs that are not supervisory roles to pay your bills. And for your friends getting fast food jobs, I commend them for doing so. It builds experience on their resume. At least they are trying to survive because maybe that job is a stepping stone for leadership roles or they can use that experience when they are applying for jobs.

At first I tried to get into an ETL position because I have a BA (it's in a social science, please don't mock me) and need to survive/pay off loans. That didn't work, so now I am thinking a TL position would be fine with me. Any TL position. I have bills. Yes, I have tried other temp and office jobs. I. Have. Bills.

If I apply for a TL position, should I leave out my BA and just include my AA degrees? I have retail, mentor, volunteer, and general office experience. Am I missing something? Do I need to lie on my resume and pretend like I had more retail experience? Is there a magic formula here to get an interview?
Please don’t apply for tl job. Go for etl with a recruiter

Have you had any interactions with any district level leaders or store level SDs or HR? Or are you just peppering the system with applications?

I’ve been with Target 9 years and I’ve only seen one maybe 2 outside hires for team lead etl most start out as regular team members then get promoted.
Most etls are outside hires. Target doesn’t like to promote to etl from within. Yes, they do promote from within. But most are outside hire.

Based on the store I worked for in years, Target tends to hire ETLs from their Target school. If they are hiring outside, usually we have ETLs who already worked from major retail stores. And as for TLs, our Target usually hires within or if there is a transfer TL. And if they are hiring outside, like I mentioned they also have to have retail experience with a lead position.
“Target school” is the training process for all etls. They don’t “hire from target school”. That’s the district office training they get before they get on the job training at a store.

Last edited:
Most etls are outside hires. Target doesn’t like to promote to etl from within. Yes, they do promote from within. But most are outside hire.
Not at my store very few etl,s or outside hire most are promoted within or transferred from another store. I’ve been here 9 years at the same store.

“Target school” is the training process for all etls. They don’t “hire from target school”. That’s the district office training they get before they get on the job training at a store.

Thanks for the knowledge. I just hear the verbiage around my coworkers that new etl so and so came from Target school.

Is there a way to see who down voted us? Weird.
Dont think so i had a post that was downvoted before that was perfectly legitamate advice for questions regarding the backroom coming from a backroom tm/tl for 6 years i wouldnt dwell on it too hard it also seems to be pretty easy to accidently touch the arrows although ive noticed when i did it

Dont think so i had a post that was downvoted before that was perfectly legitamate advice for questions regarding the backroom coming from a backroom tm/tl for 6 years i wouldnt dwell on it too hard it also seems to be pretty easy to accidently touch the arrows although ive noticed when i did it

They're are a lot of down votes in this thread. OP? Troll?

I can't live off a TM income. I can't live off of totally random hours every week. I can't have completely open availability only to get scheduled 4 hours and be unable to plan things effectively such as getting a 2nd or 3rd job, where every job wants open availability and will schedule you randomly.
This thread has been a giant waste of my time. As much as people love complaining about ETLs and TLs getting hired externally and not knowing what they are doing in every other thread, suddenly only internal promotions happening in this thread. Interesting.

I can't live off a TM income. I can't live off of totally random hours every week. I can't have completely open availability only to get scheduled 4 hours and be unable to plan things effectively such as getting a 2nd or 3rd job, where every job wants open availability and will schedule you randomly.
This thread has been a giant waste of my time. As much as people love complaining about ETLs and TLs getting hired externally and not knowing what they are doing in every other thread, suddenly only internal promotions happening in this thread. Interesting.
Depends on store size & business needs.

Ive got plenty of things to say to this but sorry to disappoint you its not easy to get a well paying job. Networking is probably the single most important part of securing a job. I didn't and i paid the price for it. You have been given good advice in this thread. Like Trying to make a personal connection with a hiring manager, or trying to go through your schools recruitment resources. There is no magic formula and many people are struggling with the same problems. Good luck

The thing is that all stores are not the same & all districts are not the same. I am in Texas. My former district does a lot of external hires for TL & ETL positions. Other districts may do internal promotions. It varies widely.

Then look elsewhere! What Target can likely offer to you clearly doesn't meet your needs.
Maybe Spot can sense your desperation?

You have the wrong approach.

You can submit your resume to 50 thousand jobs, 10 might call you.

You need personal contact. Go physically talk to the hiring manager. Hunt down the recruiter on linkedin and message them.

Unemployment is double digits right now, which leads to a situation where there is an oversaturation of high skilled workers in the talent pool willing to work for cheap. Remember those bills you have? They have them too. Many of these people are probably more qualified than you.

Without some sort of personal interaction (the result of which puts your resume on top of the pile), you're going to continue to have no results.

This advice is not specific to Target.

"Heres some things you can do and a key reason why you probably arent seeing results"

*this thread is a waste of my time*

Wut?

OP, I was wrong. Target probably doesn't want to hire you because you come across as a shameless entitled nitwit. Maybe work on that first.

Wine, wine, wine.

Look elsewhere. I wouldn’t want to work with you either. Your attitude is poor And sounds like you think you are entitled to something. Move on, please.

Look elsewhere. I wouldn’t want to work with you either. Your attitude is poor And sounds like you think you are entitled to something. Move on, please.
So other people can vent here but I can't?
I am not entitled to anything, I am trying to figure out how to survive in this world. I can't get stuck getting 8 hrs a week again. I'm trying to level up, I guess that's a crime? I hope Target keeps hiring external TMS and ETLs just to spite you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back