Archived I've begun looking for another job, and I need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been at Target since July, and it started off great. But lately I've realized that I just don't think I'm cut out for it. As a flow team member, at least. Unloading the truck is a constant shit show, it's stressful to the max, and we don't even have enough pallets or pallet jacks to get the job done. Not to mention being ridiculously understaffed, making me and maybe one or two (if we're lucky) other workers having to do all of the work for the rest of the crew who aren't doing shit. It has taken a toll on me, and I hate it. I'd rather find a job that when I'm working the thought of me just up right and quitting and walking out the door is not in at the tip of my tongue throughout my entire shift. No one seems to care to get the job done, and then I'm stuck with pushing/pulling 5 pallets by myself while the rest of the crew is who the fuck knows where. And then I get asked to stay, which I don't. Because it's not my fault that Target is fucking up. I've tried using this to my advantage, getting everything on the shelves and cleaning up my area, only to come in the next day and being asked why there was still two pallets to be pushed and the area was a mess. Even though when I clocked out, I had done my job and the area was spotless and everything was pushed. And this is just the tip of the iceberg of the fuckery that goes on.

So I'm going to start applying today at other places instead of just abandoning the job altogether. Here's the advice I need. My TL is a great guy, he understands my frustrations, he's been very accommodating and supportive when I've had a meltdown or two, I'm not the fastest worker anymore these days, but he still understands why and tries to help me out.

I was thinking of telling him that I probably wont be working for spot much longer, and was thinking of asking that if put his name down on the application as my supervisor/team leader/reference, if he would put in a good word for me.

But then I thought maybe that wouldn't be a good idea, because then it'd probably get to the higher ups that I'll be quitting soon and I'd probably just get fired. Should I give him a heads up? Or just put his name down, and when I leave then give him the heads up then and ask to put in a good word for me? Or is this a bad idea entirely.

I am a HL-TL and I've had TM's of mine tell me similar situations. Not that they need me as a reference but that they are currently looking for another job. If he valued you he would try to sway you to stay, maybe try to push you to day side BR or anywhere else in the store. Ultimately the decision is up to you to quit. Trust me the majority of level headed leaders understand Target is not the greatest job in the world, people want to try to ventures, we get that. He seems to be a cool and trustworthy Team Leader I think if he truly appreciates you, by you telling him he would more than likely be a reference. Im not sure if there is any behind the scenes against this(none that im aware of) but atleast talk to him 1 on 1 more about your frustration and maybe make a comment that you may not be around much longer.

If I know an A player is attempting to leave I will do everything within my power to keep you. It takes much longer to re-interview, re-train than attempt to keep you.

I was thinking of applying to get into backroom. One of my coworkers who I like made a comment suggesting that I should go back there as it is "easier than the job you are working now." But with them now fucking with my schedule I don't know if I even want to stay at all. I'd much rather work at Barnes and Noble next door.

Backroom is still physically intensive but with the new CAF roll outs it is definitely much easier. I'd say give BR a try, I loved my time in BR and it actually got me invested in moving up which is where I am now.

Backroom is still physically intensive but with the new CAF roll outs it is definitely much easier. I'd say give BR a try, I loved my time in BR and it actually got me invested in moving up which is where I am now.
Is it as physically intensive/overwhelming as unloading the truck and other flow tasks?

Flow is a very physical job. ALOT is asked of you and very little is compensated other than your paycheck and probably a lot of pain. With that being said, you should really give another workcenter a try as you might actually enjoy another department or even give another shift a try as you might like it. Take it from someone who has worked for both overnight and dayside, there are definitely areas of the store I personally prefer over others!! If you still feel the same after you have tried another area, then by all means, I wish you the best in all of your future endeavors. Good luck

Flow is a very physical job. ALOT is asked of you and very little is compensated other than your paycheck and probably a lot of pain. With that being said, you should really give another workcenter a try as you might actually enjoy another department or even give another shift a try as you might like it. Take it from someone who has worked for both overnight and dayside, there are definitely areas of the store I personally prefer over others!! If you still feel the same after you have tried another area, then by all means, I wish you the best in all of your future endeavors. Good luck
Thank you kindly for your advice. I am going to talk to him about transferring to the backroom or another position (save for cashiering, as I know with my anxiety, I could not handle that). Hell, I wouldn't even mind staying on flow so long as I didn't have to deal with the truck, but since I'm in my 90 days, I can't change my availability. Unless I say it is for classes, but I don't go to college, which I think they need verification for. Though I guess I could say it's because I have to watch my grandma in the mornings. But I think Backroom or Electronics would be better suited. However, a movie theater is hiring right now, and I've been dying to work there and I have to apply now or I may lose it. So we'll see.

Thank you kindly for your advice. I am going to talk to him about transferring to the backroom or another position (save for cashiering, as I know with my anxiety, I could not handle that). Hell, I wouldn't even mind staying on flow so long as I didn't have to deal with the truck, but since I'm in my 90 days, I can't change my availability. Unless I say it is for classes, but I don't go to college, which I think they need verification for. Though I guess I could say it's because I have to watch my grandma in the mornings. But I think Backroom or Electronics would be better suited. However, a movie theater is hiring right now, and I've been dying to work there and I have to apply now or I may lose it. So we'll see.

We have some flow members who come in after the truck, not sure how your store works but that sounds like a winning situation for you.

FYI: Remember in your 90 days while they can terminate you for anything, you can also decide the job isn't for you without penalty. If you do decide to go and put in a two weeks notice, I still believe you can get a good reference.

One thing I have to give Target is that if you don't like a workcenter, there are so many other work centers where you can find happiness. Some people will score green in part A of the assessment (for a specific list of jobs) and red in part B (for a different list of jobs). We all have our comfort zones and expertise! Good luck!

You can always ask to be transferred to a different work center. We had a flow team member switch from flow to cashier and she's totally happy now and one cashier switched to flow and he's totally happy now. Cashiering is easy but it is very boring and there is the red card pressure.

Make no mistake, flow is probably the most physically intensive job there is at Target, and also one of the most thankless, making it devilishly hard to move up. It's not for everyone, and I've seen my fair share of people quit on their first day. Yes, it can be unfair, make no lick of sense, and leave you feeling achy and frustrated.

Of course, none of the positions at Target can be called easy as each department has their own assorted evils and nightmares. Furthermore, if you think it's hard now, wait until we get closer to the holidays as it gets progressively harder. Trucks come more often, back stock is increased, customers becomes more difficult, and there is a greater demand for you to be there at the store and be the best version of yourself each and every day.

It sounds to me like you might be a better fit at a smaller store. You mentioned Barnes and Noble? Go for it. If you truly can not stand it at Target, life is too short to be miserable and unhappy.

I would hold off on telling anyone though, as you could find yourself without a pay check before you're ready to leave. Nobody wants that.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck and hope you find something to your liking. Just be sure to do one thing - leave. An awful lot of people unhappy here left Target and later said it was the best decision they ever made.

Is it as physically intensive/overwhelming as unloading the truck and other flow tasks?
NOTHING is as physically intensive as unloading the truck.

The most physically intensive part of backroom is backstocking all of the backstock from the unload. Everything that gets unloaded to the backstock side of the line gets put up by a BR team of around 3-6 TMs. In my store, we bowl it out in the backroom and wave through it together. A lot of it will have to be put on shelves above your head and some will need to be up a ladder.

The second most physical task in the backroom is pulling the autofills (they do this while the truck is being unloaded). It's not that bad, just involves a lot of hustling to get it done quickly.

However, a movie theater is hiring right now, and I've been dying to work there and I have to apply now or I may lose it.
Nothing says you can't try something new at Target while continuing to look for opportunities elsewhere.

One of my coworkers put a good word in for me with the TL in backroom. So we'll see how that goes. I flat out blew up at my other coworker today to the point I had to cut myself off for the sake of customers and sit in the unisex bathroom to bring my blood down from boiling. So really, any other option is good at this point. Plus the coworker who put in a good word seems like a nice, chill, guy and we have a pretty good dynamic despite not knowing each other incredibly well yet and he will be the one training me. I guess it will be starting soon, I'll still be unloading truck and pushing until the end of my shift, have to take a lunch, and then go to the BR after for training. We'll see how it goes. Still going to apply at the theater though.

It just hit me how far I've come. This time last year I literally would have walked out by now and just gone back to isolating in my room. Now apparently I'm finally adulting and being fairly responsible and trying out other options instead of giving up. Considering my mental health issues and past/current struggles, I'm pretty proud of myself. It's a nice feeling.

Last edited:
It just hit me how far I've come. This time last year I literally would have walked out by now and just gone back to isolating in my room. Now apparently I'm finally adulting and being fairly responsible and trying out other options instead of giving up. Considering my mental health issues and past/current struggles, I'm pretty proud of myself. It's a nice feeling.

Kudos. It's not easy.

Adulting is always harder than it looks ;)
I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. Not to bring things down or anything but I just can't truly express how proud of myself I am. The entirety of my first half of my 20s (well 18-24) was spent in and out of hospitals, abusing drugs and alcohol, never leaving my room, seeing doctors and therapy, lost my friends save for a couple, had no ambitions or goals, was just waiting to die. My PTSD from childhood sex abuse completely robbed me of my joy of life. I never thought I'd ever have a job again because I couldn't hold one, I was just waiting to die. Now I'm sitting here, getting paid tomorrow, about to get ready for work (despite being exhausted), and just finished my application and resume for Regal Cinemas and will be checking up on that later today.

It's just a lovely feeling. I'm so fucking happy I survived those attempts to take my own life.

Plus I've lost 30 pounds since working at target and need to get new pants because they slide right off if I'm not wearing a belt.
Everything is not perfect and there are still challenges and I still deal with my anxiety/depression, but now it's me kicking ass instead of it kicking mine.

okay maybe this was a bit too personal. sorry about that.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. Not to bring things down or anything but I just can't truly express how proud of myself I am. The entirety of my first half of my 20s (well 18-24) was spent in and out of hospitals, abusing drugs and alcohol, never leaving my room, seeing doctors and therapy, lost my friends save for a couple, had no ambitions or goals, was just waiting to die. My PTSD from childhood sex abuse completely robbed me of my joy of life. I never thought I'd ever have a job again because I couldn't hold one, I was just waiting to die. Now I'm sitting here, getting paid tomorrow, about to get ready for work (despite being exhausted), and just finished my application and resume for Regal Cinemas and will be checking up on that later today.

It's just a lovely feeling. I'm so fucking happy I survived those attempts to take my own life.

Plus I've lost 30 pounds since working at target and need to get new pants because they slide right off if I'm not wearing a belt.
Everything is not perfect and there are still challenges and I still deal with my anxiety/depression, but now it's me kicking ass instead of it kicking mine.

Yay :D

That is always something to be proud of. Perhaps Target wasn't meant to be forever, only a learning experience; But you did learned and you have grown and will continue to grow. Remember everything is a stepping stone for something better. I used to be this kid that didn't amount to anything, I came home and played video games. I couldn't find a job, hold a relationship or have many friends. Target has helped me break out of my shell to the point where I barely have any social anxiety anymore.

Remember you may stumble along the way, but never stay down always keep rising. Good luck on you application!

Backroom is also a shit show during 4thQ

One Closer, Weekend cafs, flow backstock left, caf pulls for big ass items, bales, flex orders.

I'd take the hour truck unload that. I've unloaded the truck for 2 years before switching to BR so while it's is demanding, if you get a good partner, it's a decent workout.

One of my groomsmen had a similar story to you, he would only leave the house to go to jack in the box three times a day. Hes lost 80 pounds and is a lawyer now. Keep making progress, celebrate your advancements but dont be satisfied.

One of my groomsmen had a similar story to you, he would only leave the house to go to jack in the box three times a day. Hes lost 80 pounds and is a lawyer now. Keep making progress, celebrate your advancements but dont be satisfied.

I actually chuckled at this. Because I'd sleep all day, and when I finally woke up, I'd run over to jack in the box, because it was close and 24 hours, order basically everything. 'Yeah can I get a large sprite, easy on the ice, a chicken fajita pita with extra chicken, 6 egg roles, 10 churros, fries with no salt, and a large neapolitan shake? .... yes that's all. thank you!' then i'd run on the treadmill for 45 minutes for some reason. Then netflix between browsing reddit for hours (unresolved mysteries! ask reddit! cringe! watch people die!) work on a movie review blog. until it was 6-10 am. pass out. repeat. Some nights with booze and/or weed. Or just lay in bed waiting for my next klonopin refill, once i had those it was 2 weeks of "living life to the fullest" because that shit makes you feel perfect. Wow... i've never written that out before. that's such a sad existence. hah. I really want to write a brutally honest account of what it's like to live with mental illness and all the shit i've gone through. Not that my story is any more significant than others, but a ) to purge it out/therapeutic b) if i can help one person... d) love to write. But I'm not ready to face the sex abuse part yet.

[QUOTE="atclubsilencio, post: 308704, But I'm not ready to face the sex abuse part yet.[/QUOTE]

In due time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back