Archived Just need to vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannahlouwho

Can I get a back up to the front?
I like my job. I really do. I enjoy the actual work but lately I've been feeling exhausted. I come in every day with a smile of my face and the best attitude I can possibly muster. I'm nice to absolutly everyone I see/meet. I bust my butt trying to be perfect. I just can't win. I have put to gether a routine that leaves everything in order when we close and gets it that way when we open. Despite all of this there is ALWAYS someone bringing me down. There is one TL in particular that I try extra hard to impress and I thought we were getting along great but all of a sudden I'm getting nothing but snark from her. I get no recognition no matter how hard I try and I'm on the verge of completely breaking down. This job is starting to make me feel like I am the lowest of the low.

Next time, bring your self esteem with you to work.

And don't strive to be perfect... strive for excellence!

My best advice is 1. acknowledge that it's OK to take a break from caring so much about youir work/Target and let other people deal with it and 2. if you have any paid time off, use some of it. If you can take a whole week off, DO IT.
Unfortunately, I know how hard it can be to even start getting those hours. It took me 6 years and a move from SL to Deli before Spot started giving me any.

I like my job. I really do. I enjoy the actual work but lately I've been feeling exhausted. I come in every day with a smile of my face and the best attitude I can possibly muster. I'm nice to absolutly everyone I see/meet. I bust my butt trying to be perfect. I just can't win. I have put to gether a routine that leaves everything in order when we close and gets it that way when we open. Despite all of this there is ALWAYS someone bringing me down. There is one TL in particular that I try extra hard to impress and I thought we were getting along great but all of a sudden I'm getting nothing but snark from her. I get no recognition no matter how hard I try and I'm on the verge of completely breaking down. This job is starting to make me feel like I am the lowest of the low.

I would say your problem is that you're doing an excellent job because you want to be given the 'ol pat on the back. You SHOULD be doing an excellent job because you take pride in your work and it doesn't matter if you get recognized or not.

I would say your problem is that you're doing an excellent job because you want to be given the 'ol pat on the back. You SHOULD be doing an excellent job because you take pride in your work and it doesn't matter if you get recognized or not.

I don't think it's the pat on the back so much as it is being sniped at on a constant basis.
It's one thing to have TLs and STLs who pretty much ignore you and let you do your job, most of us can live with that.
But being told everyday that you're not cutting it and that you are somehow unworthy of the job you have can be really wearing.
Striving for excellence and doing the best job you can is a challenge when there are people who get a kick out of putting you down no matter how well you do and the big problem with Spot is that it's easy to find things to call people on no matter how hard they work.

I don't think it's the pat on the back so much as it is being sniped at on a constant basis.
It's one thing to have TLs and STLs who pretty much ignore you and let you do your job, most of us can live with that.
But being told everyday that you're not cutting it and that you are somehow unworthy of the job you have can be really wearing.
Striving for excellence and doing the best job you can is a challenge when there are people who get a kick out of putting you down no matter how well you do and the big problem with Spot is that it's easy to find things to call people on no matter how hard they work.

You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly how I feel I don't need to be told I'm doing good, I just wanna do my work without being constantly barked at.

Sort of going thru the same thing.
Long story short,
It's a game, as in the board game "Sorry".
Have you ever played it before? Every man for themselves
Except at this game they don't explain the rules, which makes it hard to play the game, much less win....
Remember, your TL more than likely went thru the same thing. (The playing of the game).
Spot will challenge you, thru your TL, who is being challenged by those above them, and so on. They want to see how well you handle pressure? The more pressure you can endure, the more pressure you will be expected to pass on,,,
I tend to deflect back on my TLs, by asking lots of questions, how can I improve to make them better?

Have you considered finding a quiet moment to actually tell this TL how you are feeling? It might be possible, she isn't even aware of how he/she is coming across.

If the person has any decency, she will lighten up & maybe even apologize.

At worst, the person will become even worse & give you hell for pointing out her approach & then you don't have to feel at ALL low for not meeting the expectations of a total s.o.b. Do the best you can & never feel badly that you aren't meeting impossible expectations or impressing people on a power trip.

You are a GSA, yes? Unfortunately, it seems for many of us that this position is the store's punching bag. And people don't get it until you are in the position. I tell all new TMs that they are never alone here and there is always someone to help. But if I told a new GSA that, I would be lying. We are fed to the wolves of guests, TMs, TLs and LODs on a daily basis. You're a TM, a leader in the building and complete dirt all t the same time. And I see that attitude here as well. And it's hard and it sucks.

Band together with the other GSAs. You need to be each other's inner circle because no one else in the store will get it.

Sit down with your ETL and/or GSTL and ask for honest feedback. If they are good, they will ask you how you feel you are doing and then you can tell them why you are feeling the way you are.

For instance, I pointed out to my ETL a couple of weeks ago that I hadn't been written a single vibe card since January. Sure, it's silly, but when not one person can come up with something I have done to write down in four months, it hurts. And I think my ETL saw that was a problem and apologized.

The position is hell. But we are on your side, sister.

I make sure to be friendly with GSAs, maybe too friendly with 1 of them *cough cough* since one day they might became my GSTL and give me hell. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back