Archived Just saw this on Reddit

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the one where the entire store is closed for two weeks and only a few are transferred to other locations?

Or they're all transferred, but only a few make it back to the home store.

What I don't understand is... this store JUST opened. Like... literally within the past year. How can this already be happening?

I think it opened around 2013?

ETA I just realized you might be thinking Brooklyn since it says the Brooklyn region. They recently had a store open.

Last edited:
I think it opened around 2013?

ETA I just realized you might be thinking Brooklyn since it says the Brooklyn region. They recently had a store open.
Your right... Brooklyn had one open last year. The location is just silly and horribly planned because it's a 5-minute walk from the next store @ Atlantic Terminal.

But... I was thinking of another store they opened out on Long Island. As it turns out, they opened four small-format stores, and are on track to open yet another later this year. The Huntington Station store is very close by to the new format store.

I don't know that retail is the right setting for union representation.

However, as a spouse of a union worker I have kick-ass health insurance. We pay NO monthly premium.. NONE. 10% co-insurance for most services, and if we utilize the preferred clinic (doctor visits, x-rays, PT, labs, dental cleanings and fillings, etc) no co pay.

Spouse also gets time and a half for all hours worked over 8 each day. My state's law is OT for hours over 40 in a week.

So, unions definitely have a place in our society!

My mother worked at a grocery store under their equivalent of "instocks TM" and was a part of the union. She said it was helpful. But grocery is different.

THIS. yes it’s illegal to prevent a union from forming but target has big time lawyers who will find ways to prevent it without “preventing” it like shutting down a store for renovations.

Target really made it easy to do this with their whole push in the news as "investing in our stores".

Trump has done more for the economy and job growth that the last president did

According to what metrics?

THIS. yes it’s illegal to prevent a union from forming but target has big time lawyers who will find ways to prevent it without “preventing” it like shutting down a store for renovations. Bottom line is if you try to unionize at Target, you’re not only putting your own job at risk but also the others in your store who want no part of it (by forcing them to transfer when the store is closed) and I don’t think that’s fair.

Also by and large for entry level jobs our pay and benefits aren’t that bad. In a year and a half, we’ll be making over double federal minimum wage.

Go ahead and unionize. Target does not have to recognize it. They simply close, reorganize with NEW employees and re-open. A union would have no power if they have no contract or Master Agreement with the employer, and come on, do you really think that Target would do that? Without SERIOUS government pressure (taking LLOOTTSS of time)? The chances of that in the current political climate are between zero and none.

Right now it's very hard to form a union and make the employer sit at the negotiating table. It's very hard because many of the worker protection laws have been weakened over and over, and the businesses with the deepest pocketbooks have been pushing a lot of anti-union propaganda for years in the hopes of weakening workers' resolve to group together to get better protections.

But if people don't grab onto what is left and group together in order to have a better chance at keeping what is left, then everything is going to go away. Read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle if you want a peek at a future where workers can't group together and pool their resources to pay for lobbyists to go head to head with big business lobbyists and demand that everyone gets treated well.

What I don't understand is... this store JUST opened. Like... literally within the past year. How can this already be happening?
Perhaps enough of their current TMs came from traditional grocery stores that do have unions and decided to try to get one started at Spot.

Last edited:
Even assuming they don't close the store...

store: "we the workers want $25 an hour plus comprehensive health insurance with no premium"

HQ: "no"

store: "fine, we're striking then"

HQ: "ok" *unfurls NOW HIRING banner* *refills all positions in 2 business days*

store: "we the workers want $25 an hour plus comprehensive health insurance with no premium"

Pretty much.

Although, unemployment is pretty low right now, so it might be a bit of a struggle to hire almost a whole store of TMs.

Good luck trying to hire those replacements. Most stores in my area are hurting for new people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back