Archived Just transferred to another Target store, are the others like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just transferred to another target store after moving back home. It is a shock to say the least. First, my hours seem to be under 25 a week. Then, I am told we have no backroom team and I back stock everything myself. I know how to do that but what about pulling to stock the shelves? No idea how to do that. Then, 90% of my 6- closing shift is zoning the toy section which is 8 aisles.

When I was going to zone toys it was like it was never touched by anyone else. A complete mess which I tried my best to zone in the 4 hours but still didn't get it perfect. It feels like I am the only one who cares for it to be nice. My new store is also a ghost town. Hardly any cashiers, hardlines, etc. No electronics team members either and one ETL the whole night. I feel very confused. My old store had a backroom team, multiple hardlines, beauty, and market TMs and at least 1 LOD a shift. Even the store is dead quiet with maybe 2 call buttons going off my entire shift and a few people asking me questions.

Are other targets like this? I worked in a city target in a downtown location in a major US city, and am not used to the lack of TMs and being the only hardlines TM in the store in the last hour of use being open, and the general empty-ness and disconnect this place has!

Ill only be here for 12 weeks so I can cope, but still its like a mind- f*ck to me

Your old store obviously wasn't fully Modernized. Your new store is. Welcome to Modernization. This is the way it will be for all stores by September. Get used to it.

Your old store obviously wasn't fully Modernized. Your new store is. Welcome to Modernization. This is the way it will be for all stores by September. Get used to it.

Even the lack of TMs?My mom told me to work at another target as she said that there are alot of TMs there (and it is fully remodeled). But I think it would be like this one. It is cope-able but confusing, even guest get frustrated it seems by yelling for someone to help them when theres no one.

Even the lack of TMs?My mom told me to work at another target as she said that there are alot of TMs there (and it is fully remodeled). But I think it would be like this one. It is cope-able but confusing, even guest get frustrated it seems by yelling for someone to help them when theres no one.

That's modernization! Fewer TMs available to help on the floor and to check out the guests.

Yeah we have a skeleton crew that closes now, especially on weekdays. No backroom team, and if you haven't been trained to pull that's on them, but I would let them know. Also, the TMs that are there during the day are working tasks like pushing, backstocking, pricing, planograms so they don't have as much time to leave the zones looking nice for the closers.

It also sounds like you're currently in a small format store, which might be a part of the differences you're seeing.

Yeah we have a skeleton crew that closes now, especially on weekdays. No backroom team, and if you haven't been trained to pull that's on them, but I would let them know. Also, the TMs that are there during the day are working tasks like pushing, backstocking, pricing, planograms so they don't have as much time to leave the zones looking nice for the closers.

I have 8 huge, very messy aisles to clean up in 4 hr shifts. That makes sense. I couldnt do zoning, plus push in a 4 hr shift. So I am assuming then from now on for the most part, if I am a closer, I will just do zoning, occasional backstock? Can do both as I once had a whole shift in my old target to just back stock, and I was expected to zone my small toy section at the end of the night. It seems since I am the only hardline crew in the last hour of the stores operation, I need to get call buttons throughout the store. Very confusing, but live-able

It also sounds like you're currently in a small format store, which might be a part of the differences you're seeing.

Its a neighborhood store. I worked in a smaller, but hella busy location in downtown big city. This is a ghost town store, hardly any guests or TMs, the walkie is only really used to call out breaks and to ask for cashier back up. I can do zoning for 4 hours, but it can be so messy (and gets destroyed fast), that its hard to keep up

That's modernization! Fewer TMs available to help on the floor and to check out the guests.

Man, that really sucks. I get paranoid that I cannot finish my zone ( I used to be able to at my old store) with having to be the only hardliner. I almost cried when my ETL last night told me that my zone was a little "rough" when I was scrambling to make it look perfect :(

Old ways are no more. Welcome to modernization with limited hours & more work to get done.
Been out of work for 5 weeks, only heard about "general merch" roles and that stuff then, but hadnt experienced it. I just hate that we have no backroom, and the place is a ghost town with no TMs. Is target deliberately digging its own grave?

So I just transferred to another target store after moving back home. It is a shock to say the least. First, my hours seem to be under 25 a week. Then, I am told we have no backroom team and I back stock everything myself. I know how to do that but what about pulling to stock the shelves? No idea how to do that. Then, 90% of my 6- closing shift is zoning the toy section which is 8 aisles.

When I was going to zone toys it was like it was never touched by anyone else. A complete mess which I tried my best to zone in the 4 hours but still didn't get it perfect. It feels like I am the only one who cares for it to be nice. My new store is also a ghost town. Hardly any cashiers, hardlines, etc. No electronics team members either and one ETL the whole night. I feel very confused. My old store had a backroom team, multiple hardlines, beauty, and market TMs and at least 1 LOD a shift. Even the store is dead quiet with maybe 2 call buttons going off my entire shift and a few people asking me questions.

Are other targets like this? I worked in a city target in a downtown location in a major US city, and am not used to the lack of TMs and being the only hardlines TM in the store in the last hour of use being open, and the general empty-ness and disconnect this place has!

Ill only be here for 12 weeks so I can cope, but still its like a mind- f*ck to me
Staffing needs vary from store to store, so your new store is clearly lower volume.

Staffing needs vary from store to store, so your new store is clearly lower volume.

I dont mind working somewhere lower key, but to be expected to zone 8 aisles of toys in 4 hours is alot, plus doing your own backstocking. maybe im complaining. Im just stressed about it, may be better when I leave to go to work today

I dont mind working somewhere lower key, but to be expected to zone 8 aisles of toys in 4 hours is alot, plus doing your own backstocking. maybe im complaining. Im just stressed about it, may be better when I leave to go to work today
I have never been able to please target. Get 2 redcards....why not 4?

And now they are particularly rude. They seem to imagine 13 bucks is going to buy them retail rock stars.

I just smile, show up on time and watch them burn through people.

I just smile, show up on time and watch them burn through people.

Same. From the one day I was getting per week, to the 2 weeks of mild improvement in hours (due to people leaving, lol!), to the one day a week I have on the new schedule--I feel like they want me to leave, but I ain't doing it.

I'm 32, fat, and unattractive. I sure don't fit with the image they seem to want. All the new hires are (admittedly) hot young 20somethings. At least I get a nice view while waiting for them to sack up and fire me.

Same. From the one day I was getting per week, to the 2 weeks of mild improvement in hours (due to people leaving, lol!), to the one day a week I have on the new schedule--I feel like they want me to leave, but I ain't doing it.

I'm 32, fat, and unattractive. I sure don't fit with the image they seem to want. All the new hires are (admittedly) hot young 20somethings. At least I get a nice view while waiting for them to sack up and fire me.
I get my hours. I really meant that they are always pushing people to meet expectations that aren't reasonable. It's the culture.

I know right ? Orientation today seemed like a kindergarten class to me !

Oh yes. We also have progressed to this ‘new model’. Welcome along for the wild ride yet to come !

our truck team has been set to experts of our sections. We're expected to zone as we push and get picks. Also, price change, morning batches, planno, audit, and EXF batches. I'm the only cashier trained truck member atm, so I do that, too. my store manager noted that they're doing it to be able to compete with places like amazon. It's crazy, because the leads all get that 2 hours on the line and 4 hours of push are NOT enough to do EVERYTHING (we can't even finish p1 on a 22k truck no matter how hard we push ourselves or extend). The store manager is like "but that piece of paper says how long their push is supposed to take...". I'm not sure they've explained to her that the piece of paper with our times on it are ONLY referring to push. Not backstocking, zoning, or guest service. Let alone pick and backup cashiering.

our truck team has been set to experts of our sections. We're expected to zone as we push and get picks. Also, price change, morning batches, planno, audit, and EXF batches. I'm the only cashier trained truck member atm, so I do that, too. my store manager noted that they're doing it to be able to compete with places like amazon. It's crazy, because the leads all get that 2 hours on the line and 4 hours of push are NOT enough to do EVERYTHING (we can't even finish p1 on a 22k truck no matter how hard we push ourselves or extend). The store manager is like "but that piece of paper says how long their push is supposed to take...". I'm not sure they've explained to her that the piece of paper with our times on it are ONLY referring to push. Not backstocking, zoning, or guest service. Let alone pick and backup cashiering.
This is the ideal at my target, but I have barely been trained in price change/plano and nothing at all for cashiering. As it is, I don't have enough hours for most of that stuff, so I haven't come across a lot of it yet. It's still a little free and loose at my location, but the hammer is starting to fall... hard.

Any retail lead who has worked long enough knows looks does not matter, productivity does. If you out perform all those drama infested 20 somethings and have a passable attitude, you job is cemented. Having a pretty face is nice but anyone who works Starbucks and softlines knows what baggage can come with those pretty faces.

Yesterday was a disaster. Was told to zone about 12+ aisles in 4 hrs. By the end of the shift I was close to giving up as the last aisles were ziploc bags which were disorganized. Happy to help guests get items from the back or find a specific item, even doing a little cashiering. But It is hard to zone that many aisles plus do side work in 4 hrs. Didnt even wanna take my break so I could finish. Oh well, only 12 weeks of this

Yesterday was a disaster. Was told to zone about 12+ aisles in 4 hrs. By the end of the shift I was close to giving up as the last aisles were ziploc bags which were disorganized. Happy to help guests get items from the back or find a specific item, even doing a little cashiering. But It is hard to zone that many aisles plus do side work in 4 hrs. Didnt even wanna take my break so I could finish. Oh well, only 12 weeks of this

that's miserable. Is it diff sections each time? I'd suggest going through and getting the most obvious abandons out, then facing the aisle. I just spent 30m or so on our ziploc section, but it wasn't entirely thrashed. I thought that was bad. Yeesh. I like being the expert of an area, I do the same thing each truck. If it's OTC, it's a9-a18, if it's paper it's 2 valleys and like 8 sections on the back wall. I hate cashiering, though, and having to stop what I'm doing to get a pick is SUPER irritating. Are your leads upset about the zoning? You can only do what you can do, and my leads point that out if they notice I'm getting stressed. I think as long as you're trying, they should be mostly supportive...but that could just be my store. I get along with all the leads, and they're pretty even handed with everyone. Oh man, I skip breaks sometimes. I always take my morning break, but if I have a second one, I'll just forget it. Or if I'm doing a 4hr shift I'll skip it if I'm focused on getting the work done. I know I deserve it, but I'd rather just finish and be done. I've had a few too many instances of coming in 2 days later and having to finish something that I hadn't been able to before, and I get this...squicky feeling when I can't finish a job, regardless of knowing someone else will finish it no issues later.

This is the ideal at my target, but I have barely been trained in price change/plano and nothing at all for cashiering. As it is, I don't have enough hours for most of that stuff, so I haven't come across a lot of it yet. It's still a little free and loose at my location, but the hammer is starting to fall... hard.

I have a few advantages with the stuff. I started as a CA, so I was immediately register trained. They had me join the PLANO team a couple months after I changed to truck, so I have that down. No one told me you had to scan the price change labels in the price change app to activate them, though, so that was a mess at first. I'm regularly scheduled 6hr shifts, and getting to exf and audit is not possible. I usually push my time until minutes from compliance, then come back and quickly hit the last vehicle. My super is willing to extend me all the time, too, so I push P1 if my stuff is done...we don't have much of an emphasis put on audit or exf, at least. I think the plano thing is going to come back and bite us, because when I push the other items of p1, i'm not doing any plano. I'm sure I'm forgetting a duty or two in there, though. It's exasperating to try and think back lol.

Anyway, have they talked to you about zoning as you go? If you just do the 4ft shelf you're pushing to, they can tell where you're working. If you get to do the same section each time, you can sort of expand around that a little, especially on days when the push is light. I know not all stores are the same, but that's the advice I can come up with (that's probably not helpful). They had the former price change woman "teach a class" on price change one day, that was helpful. She also is an advocate for "ask me if I'm here. it'll be faster if you can just get the answers instead of floundering around or doing it wrong". They also point out to my fellow truck team peeps that I'm a good resource for plano stuff, so if you know your former plano team members when you get to that part, they'll probably be helpful.

I'll stop rambling now, sorry for the long post lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back