Keeping "Ones for Ones" low the driving Target metric now?

In my department we keep pulling the "Ones for Ones" constantly to keep the numbers low per management.

However a lot of those "re-pulls" were immediately back stocked even though we are also updating the floor counts.

No one has bothered explained to me why that happens so frequently.

Yet that same week my department's truck push that came in at 9:00 AM wasn't completely pushed until 5:00 PM THE NEXT DAY.

Thoughts?

In my department we keep pulling the "Ones for Ones" constantly to keep the numbers low per management.

However a lot of those "re-pulls" were immediately back stocked even though we are also updating the floor counts.

No one has bothered explained to me why that happens so frequently.

Yet that same week my department's truck push that came in at 9:00 AM wasn't completely pushed until 5:00 PM THE NEXT DAY.

Thoughts?
Make sure pulls are getting 100% completed and you wont have back stocking issues. If they are completing it to 100% then they are not fixing sfq.

If you are not completing your truck on time likely your pushing and filling your floor after some has been sold so the system doesn't know you filled it already. So you fill it and it thinks you still need some. You should always double check to make sure the sfqs are full before you back stock. Also back stocking should be done right away since its possible some gets sold right away.

the system doesn't know you filled it already. So you fill it and it thinks you still need some.
once the truck is acknowledged - doesn’t all 24 sent get counted as “on the floor” until it gets backstocked ?
You should always double check to make sure the sfqs are full before you back stock.

We change SFQ AFTER backstocking Is complete.

I thought if you tell the system you HAVE 12 in a location that fits 12 and THEN backstock 6 - it will spit the 6 back at you in the next 1:1 thinking you left the floor short Of what fits.

once the truck is acknowledged - doesn’t all 24 sent get counted as “on the floor” until it gets backstocked ?

I thought if you tell the system you HAVE 12 in a location that fits 12 and THEN backstock 6 - it will spit the 6 back at you in the next 1:1 thinking you left the floor short Of what fits.
It should work either way. I haven't had issues with back stock coming out in pulls in a while. As long as pulls are 100% complete. If its asking for it again after that that should mean its been sold.

HQ has determined that 141s has a direct impact on sales. So the more 141s pulled & pushed, the higher the sales. Therefore it is the focus.

There's more money (potential sales $$) in the freight, most of the time. More likely to be items that are OUT, that are sitting in the freight than in the backroom.

Pushing one more bottle of ketchup, when there's already 12 zoned correctly on the shelf, makes no difference.

Yeah, OOS batches, maybe (though most of the time they're not OOS, they're at the correct amount of stock because they were overstocked to begin with), but putting one more towel on a pile of 4 can't be as good for sales as filling the empty towel slots with the ones that came in freight.

Yeah, OOS batches, maybe (though most of the time they're not OOS, they're at the correct amount of stock because they were overstocked to begin with), but putting one more towel on a pile of 4 can't be as good for sales as filling the empty towel slots with the ones that came in freight.
Great point.

That unpushed freight probably fits on the floor but it still sitting in the back.

My thought is ALL TRUCK should be pushed within eight hours of arrival.

Data accuracy is really the key. Too many times I’ve asked someone if they changed the counts on the floor to be told yes. Double check and find maybe they changed the capacity, maybe the on floor number. Rarely do they change the actual on hand. For the system to work properly all three of these have to be accurate. As well as no overstocking and when you flex it needs to be store tied with its data current as well.
Some areas really need that 1:1 to be pulled consistently while others could probably just get pulled once a day. Take kitchen for example. All those appliances. Many only fit 1. So if it sells and you only pull it once it will sit empty until the next time you pull. Some guests might ask if it’s in stock. Others will just assume it’s out and go somewhere else.
I also agree truck should be pushed within a certain time. I really wish we could go back to the older days when it was all wave pushed and done by 10am daily. Never ever rolled truck!

Data accuracy is really the key. Too many times I’ve asked someone if they changed the counts on the floor to be told yes. Double check and find maybe they changed the capacity, maybe the on floor number. Rarely do they change the actual on hand. For the system to work properly all three of these have to be accurate. As well as no overstocking and when you flex it needs to be store tied with its data current as well.

THIS. I've also found that numbers change randomly, sometimes even by my ETL. She usually lets me know if she accidentally reset an endcap or (Lord help me, the entire aisle... it's happened) but if that happens the entire thing goes back to whatever corp deemed would fit. In beauty, sometimes they'll say 12 shampoo fit in a row when 5 fit. OR there wasn't enough space for 2 facings but it's saying again that now there is. Truly you have to constantly check while you push. It doesn't take a lot of extra time if you keep up with it (along with the other people in your department).

141's in beauty are pulled all day, especially on weekends. With SPF flying off the shelves (though never seeming to leave any space in the back room because we get so much of it lol) it's honestly constant.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone explain how having all 20 bottles of ketchup on the floor at all times increases sales compared to only having 10 at any given time?

It doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone explain how having all 20 bottles of ketchup on the floor at all times increases sales compared to only having 10 at any given time?

Sure. If guests, or OPU, comes along and takes 10 bottles of ketchup, they're going to take the first 10 bottles on the shelf. That could potentialy leave the remaining 10 bottles hidden under the shelving. A guest might not see them unless they look really hard, which guests don't do typically. You could zone constantly and pull the remaining 10 bottles up to the front, but why not just pull the shit out of the backroom instead if there is space for it on the floor? Or what if a guest comes by and decides they need 13 bottles of ketchup because it's on sale and they are the type of disgusting people who use ketchup on everything instead picking more cuisine-appropriate sauces. If you only have 10 out, you just lost sales.

Sure. If guests, or OPU, comes along and takes 10 bottles of ketchup, they're going to take the first 10 bottles on the shelf. That could potentialy leave the remaining 10 bottles hidden under the shelving. A guest might not see them unless they look really hard, which guests don't do typically. You could zone constantly and pull the remaining 10 bottles up to the front, but why not just pull the shit out of the backroom instead if there is space for it on the floor? Or what if a guest comes by and decides they need 13 bottles of ketchup because it's on sale and they are the type of disgusting people who use ketchup on everything instead picking more cuisine-appropriate sauces. If you only have 10 out, you just lost sales.
Zone-free and properly trained people in OPU solve the first issue, and the second is a non-issue because it would never really happen. If someone desperately needed product and it wasn't on the floor, they would ask a TM to grab more.

Thresholds, audits, and OSS batches solve all of the actual issues with inventory on the floor. Having to pull a single bottle of ketchup from the back because there are only 19/20 on the floor is inefficient.

Rarely do they change the actual on hand.

True confession: I rarely do this, unless the OH is zero and we clearly have a bunch (or vice versa). Takes to long to find the Audit app, login to it (it often requires a login for me, so annoying), wait for it to load, etc. Updating on hands through MyDay would be useful.

True confession: I rarely do this, unless the OH is zero and we clearly have a bunch (or vice versa). Takes to long to find the Audit app, login to it (it often requires a login for me, so annoying), wait for it to load, etc. Updating on hands through MyDay would be useful.
Updating the OH in MyDay would be useful but I guess I’m always signed into the audit app so it’s not a huge issue to toggle to it to fix issues. I can’t even pull a 1:1 without getting into audit at least once to fix location errors.

So why not tell the system you have 12 on the floor but the location fits only 6 and then backstock the other 6? Why keep saying the location fits 12?

If the store looks half empty guests WILL assume you are sold out of things, even if the things are in the right spot. Market isn’t what 1 for 1s are for, but market can make or break the store’s overall percent. The goals on 141s are specifically for high volume low capacity product. Toys at Christmas, bags of dog food, appliances, beauty.

If you don’t like doing 141s keep your inventory right and get stuff out of the back. Can’t pull what isn’t there. If an end sells down two weeks early toss up some cereal or marshmallows or Food Ninjas.

Pushing one more bottle of ketchup, when there's already 12 zoned correctly on the shelf, makes no difference.
This. For a short while, maybe before the DBO model, a product was supposed to drop into a batch only when it was down to 1/2 of its capacity. So if 20 bottles of ketchup will fit and it gets down to where only 9 are on the floor, 11 will get pulled with the next batch. (Or maybe it was triggered at 3/4 so adjust the numbers accordingly.)
The point is that I wouldn't have to pull 1 deodorant when there are already 21 on the floor for a capacity of 22. My 1 for 1 batches aren't ginormous, but it's usually a lot of ones and twos. Doesn't overwhelm me with efficiency.
On the other hand, it does help me stay familiar with what I have in the back and what the floor is looking like.

@Far from newbie Doesn’t acknowledging truck only fill SFQ to the SFC? At the point of acknowledging truck there should be a discrepancy(?). Because you haven’t backstocked anything, the number on the floor would be increased to capacity(or however many you received up to SFC), plus however many you previously had in the back, equals the total amount from before the truck plus the newly delivered product. Right? It should only be after your backstocking that the equation is correct

The only time I change SFQ numbers while pushing truck is when the truck is acknowledged already and the physical shelf is full but MyDay says it isn’t. So then I fix it, take a photo for myself to come back later and audit, and move on.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you audit before backstocking then suddenly the rest of the product you’re GOING to backstock doesn’t exist anymore… Until you potentially audit the backroom location that you put it in later

The goals on 141s are specifically for high volume low capacity product. Toys at Christmas, bags of dog food, appliances, beauty.
So why not just autofills with seasonally adjusted thresholds for high volume, low capacity product? 141s are great for purging the backroom to completely fill the floor, but there's absolutely no reason to do that every single day (sometimes twice a day at that). It's just inefficient.

Back