Archived Keeping the team late?

Does your store keep sales floor team members late?

• Yes

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don't know/I don't close

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a quick poll for you all:

Does your sales floor team stay late (past their scheduled end work time) to complete zone/abandon?

If yes, answer with what time (on average) they end up leaving/any other insights into when this happens at your store.

At my store we close at 11. Some closers are scheduled til 11:30 and some (mostly newbies) are scheduled til midnight. If it's really bad, some 11:30ers will be asked if they want to stay the extra half hour. But rarely do we go past midnight

Typically closing team members leave 15 minutes late. Just long enough to finish up zone, reshop, etc..

They don't really mind since they're usually only scheduled 4 hours anyhow.

Best practice suggests that you stay no longer than 1 hour after close. But, you want to get extra hours, always stay late beyond 1 hour when your Lod ask for volunteers.

Our closers are scheduled for 30 minutes past close (except for Saturday nights when it's an hour). Sometimes if sales are short, some LODs will move it up 15 minutes. But otherwise by 25 after, we best be lined up to clock out. We never stay late unless it is a serious disaster. That happened once when I was there during BTS.

Here it's normally 15-30 minutes late, though the past week or so we've been leaving 1 1/2 hours after scheduled leaving time. Gotta like Q4.

At my store, Closers stay 45 min after closing time. Less if we finish early, but never more, no matter how bad the department is.

In the 5 years with Target I have never been in a store that made us stay later than our schedule, which was traditionally thirty minutes after closing. Unfortunately during the Christmas season the store was in two conditions: Relatively acceptably zoned (oh so rare in mid December), or destroyed. No extra 15 minutes will save us from the latter option if that indeed is the condition of the store after closing. I have seen a few execs try and push (and coincidentally actually WORK) the team for every bit of efficiency during those 30 minutes, but save for a few morons for leaders they realized that in the end the team was tired and it was time to let them go.

I had to stay late on Christmas Eve since I caught someone stealing (a female) 30 min. before we were supposed to close and since the two AP which were scheduled were male, I had to be in the office for the apprehension, but typically at my store, only the TLs, GSTL, and GSTM are scheduled past closing (between 15-30 min.)

I had to stay late on Christmas Eve since I caught someone stealing (a female) 30 min. before we were supposed to close and since the two AP which were scheduled were male, I had to be in the office for the apprehension, but typically at my store, only the TLs, GSTL, and GSTM are scheduled past closing (between 15-30 min.)

That was no fun!

We are scheduled for 1 hour past close. We leave depending on who the closing LOD is. For instance the other night we closed at 10:00, scheduled to leave at 11:00, but left at 12:30. While on a different night we closed at 10:00, scheduled to leave at 11:00, and they left at 11:00.

Sometimes it pisses me off to no end. Most of the time I don't mind it.
The look of shock when you have to cut hours is unbelievable. Oh I'm sorry, it wasn't my choice to work 2 hours later than scheduled the other night.

I have been leaving anywhere from 15 min to 45 min past my scheduled time. And since (at least at my store) closers are usually scheduled an hour past close (especially on weekends) that's been really hard. And most nights we have not made sales. But usually, like this past few days, it's usually get the zone done and leave the reshop. We'll have at least 5 or 6 carts up there when we leave.

We have some TMs scheduled 1/2 hour past close, some scheduled at close. We leave when the LOD says leave and that differs from night to night. Some insist that all reshop be done, some insist that we leave an hour after close regardless of the condition of the store. We have one LOD who hides reshop carts so that we can leave at a reasonable hour.

I'll never forget my first closing shift as a seasonal cashier. Hey, it was time to go according to my schedule so I headed to the time clock. LOD was standing at the door with a fierce look on his face. Said, "Where the hell do you think you're going? Turn around and get out on the sales floor. I'll let you know when you can go home."

He's now my favorite ETL but he scared the poo out of me that night.

during the week front end is scheduled 15 min past close and sales floor 30 min past closed. On the weekend front end is 30 min past close and sales floor 1 hour past close. I don't really get why that's how we schedule them because everyone stays up to an hour after close. If we get done early then we leave but otherwise we stay until that hour. Only twice have i ever stayed past that hour. Once was the wednesday before black friday because the store looked terrible but the LOD asked for volunteers, he ordered pizza, and i stayed until 4am! I loved it because it was all overtime.
The other time was just a random weekend that the store got destroyed and we had a "surprise" visit the next day and again the LOD asked for people to stay and we all did and finished up about 1am.

Every salesfloor closing TM is scheduled 45 minutes later than the store actually closing. We're always out on time regardless of the state of the store; although sometimes we get to leave early. Flow will usually finish odds and ends if they have spare time.

I'll never forget my first closing shift as a seasonal cashier. Hey, it was time to go according to my schedule so I headed to the time clock. LOD was standing at the door with a fierce look on his face. Said, "Where the hell do you think you're going? Turn around and get out on the sales floor. I'll let you know when you can go home."

Wow, at my second store that's what happened with cashiers and it pissed me off to no end. When I'm scheduled to leave at x time, I expect to leave at x time, not 30,45,90 minutes later (unless I volunteer to stay later of my own will).

My store usually schedules closers 15 minutes past close. On my closing nights as TLOD, in partnership with the LOD, we don't keep people past that time.

It's very rare that we have people past close. We schedule most of our team to leave at 10pm. It's not to often that we aren't finished my then, with Reshop and Zone.

When I used to work softlines, they would schedule us closers for one hour past close. They were always good about us leaving at exactly one hour after and if the LOD was happy with the zone we'd leave early.

One shift some of the leadership said we wouldn't leave until the zone was completed. I told them that's not okay and I wasn't having it, I was not getting locked in the store (the store had the alarm up after close). So I left when I was scheduled and they took the alarm down for me. I had worked the entire day (from morning until close) so they didn't mind when I wasn't too happy with their little plan.

Erm.. my store closes at 11 (10/Sundays), but the team doesn't leave until the LOD says so. No matter what your schedule said, if you were scheduled past official store close at all, you were locked in til the LOD cleared it. Before, if you were scheduled when the store closed (10:00/11:00) on the dot, they would let you go at that time, but then they started getting pissy about that and saying it meant you also were to stay until they said so (and forcing you to take a lunch if you were originally scheduled 5 hours). It's really bad at our store. I know this 4th Q the closing team had been telling me they wouldn't leave until 2-3 AM on the regular.

This drives me nuts. We're scheduled until close (10 pm for my store) except for Saturdays when its an hour after close and we NEVER leave on time. Usually its 30 minutes after close we leave. I wouldn't mind so much if we we're scheduled after close but it drives me nuts.

Our closing team is flaming red when it comes to leaving within an hour of close. They will be scheduled a half hour after close and they typically stay at least an extra hour past schedule, sometimes more.

It's frustrating when all the staying late leads to whining and cutting payroll later. If only they would just schedule as needed or have an expectation across the senior leadership team to have the team leave 15 minutes or whatever after close.

thank goodness i'm just a cashier. Whenever I do have a closing shift on the sales floor (just once a week), i'm only scheduled to leave 30 mins after closing. I can't stay any longer than that other an additional 15 minutes otherwise I can get fired for not taking a meal break. And besides, what is 15 minutes going to do? It's not enough time to help the zone. At least not at my store we are very understaffed.. the LOD's have always asked us first and they respect our decision if we say no. I'm lucky the management at my store is that respectful. Also, I met a team member the other day who said she comes in at 4am~8am to zone whatever the closing team wasn't able to get to. So I try my hardest to get the block I'm assigned to up to brand but even after finishing my zone and helping in another area, it's still not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back