Lack of appreciation for Redcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way one of my former Electronic TMs got multiple RedCards was by pushing the guest until they caved. He would keep repeating the benefits over and over. We had guests bring up concerns that he was overtly pushy with the RedCard talk.

Yeah, I always wonder the point of congratulating the cashiers over the walkie (usually the ETL-GE will chime back with a "thank you") but if the cashiers don't hear it, what's the point? Same for harping on the goal every half hour..."let's make sure we're sharing the benefits of the Redcard with each and every guest...." Seriously? The cashiers don't hear it...just as well, so it's just more chatter to block people from doing actual business.

On Saturday, the LOD told us on the walkie that we needed to discuss the benefits of the RedCard with guests as they're shopping. On the sales floor. Because I'm totally gonna have an engaging discussion about saving 5% today and every day as I'm picking up all the **** they let their toddlers knock off the shelf.

I've been told by my STL that no body can coach for RedCard conversion......

that's not true. It's part of the cashiers core roles. I've only coached two people for it and that was because they wouldn't ask anyone and would always ignore the prompts.

Yeah, I've been told by Numerous ETL's, SR. TL's, and my STL that no body can coach for RedCard conversion. Hmm.

that's not true. It's part of the cashiers core roles. I've only coached two people for it and that was because they wouldn't ask anyone and would always ignore the prompts.

As cashiers, we are required to ask guests if they would like to open a RedCard. We have no control over whether or not they actually open one. redandkhaki, your coachings are certainly justified because your cashiers were skipping the prompts. The problem is when a cashier asks every guest and explains all the benefits, but nobody has any interest in it.

Say a week goes by and not a single guest opens a RedCard. STL and ETL-GE are gonna be raving mad. Someone will lose their head. You're the GSTL - who are you going to coach? It's true that even your top performers didn't get any conversions, but they've still been asking every guest that comes through their lane, just like they would any other week. So don't coach them. Coach the cashiers that you know aren't asking guests, the ones that the GSAs said they saw skipping prompts.

As cashiers, we are required to ask guests if they would like to open a RedCard. We have no control over whether or not they actually open one. redandkhaki, your coachings are certainly justified because your cashiers were skipping the prompts. The problem is when a cashier asks every guest and explains all the benefits, but nobody has any interest in it.

Say a week goes by and not a single guest opens a RedCard. STL and ETL-GE are gonna be raving mad. Someone will lose their head. You're the GSTL - who are you going to coach? It's true that even your top performers didn't get any conversions, but they've still been asking every guest that comes through their lane, just like they would any other week. So don't coach them. Coach the cashiers that you know aren't asking guests, the ones that the GSAs said they saw skipping prompts.

i would never coach someone if they were asking the guests and at least had a good attitude about it! And honestly most of the time if i see or hear of cashiers skipping prompts i just go to them and ask them what is going on. There's usually a reason for it and it's usually because they're frustrated they aren't getting any. I understand that because i've been a cashier. Coachings for just not getting redcards seems pointless to me if you're asking. That just wouldn't happen in my store.

i would never coach someone if they were asking the guests and at least had a good attitude about it! And honestly most of the time if i see or hear of cashiers skipping prompts i just go to them and ask them what is going on. There's usually a reason for it and it's usually because they're frustrated they aren't getting any. I understand that because i've been a cashier. Coachings for just not getting redcards seems pointless to me if you're asking. That just wouldn't happen in my store.

If I had any GTCs, I would give you ten.

Attention, ETLs-GE and new GSTLs everywhere! Read the above!

As long as they're asking, it's fine. I've been known to ignore prompts if we are hella backed up. When there is no one in the store for back up and we need to get guests through the line, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

And certainly if I don't speak the same language as the guest, the guest is on the phone or really grumpy (you know those guests) or isn't 18, then I train new cashiers those are the only times to not ask.

I usually ignore the prompts, but that's because I'm always up when I'm on backup. If I have my light off, I'll ask, especially if the guest whips out her/his checkbook to write a check. I always explain the debit card, though, and never the credit card. I have problems with the idea of encouraging someone to go into debt, even if the balace is paid in full every month.

I understand that getting REDCards is part of the core roles, but like any other job, if the workers don't feel appreciated they won't be productive. Thats just how it is. Same thing applies to REDCards.

Our cashiers are appreciated. I just don't see "baiting" them with a candy bar or a $$ Spot surprise (yes, a GSTL actually requisitioned crap from there for prizes) to do their jobs. I find that insulting as do our cashiers. Just a different culture, I guess.

As far as coaching, if the cashier doesn't ask every guest, then they can be coached at my store. Even when there are back ups, we ask.

We have a GSA who interviewed for GSTL and didn't pass the interview because she told the DTL that she wouldn't push RCs because she didn't want to contribute to the guests' debt. I'm surprised she's still a GSA after making that known. Can you imagine telling the DTL that Red Cards are evil?

I understand that getting REDCards is part of the core roles, but like any other job, if the workers don't feel appreciated they won't be productive. Thats just how it is. Same thing applies to REDCards.

Our cashiers are appreciated. I just don't see "baiting" them with a candy bar or a $$ Spot surprise (yes, a GSTL actually requisitioned crap from there for prizes) to do their jobs. I find that insulting as do our cashiers. Just a different culture, I guess.

As far as coaching, if the cashier doesn't ask every guest, then they can be coached at my store. Even when there are back ups, we ask.

We have a GSA who interviewed for GSTL and didn't pass the interview because she told the DTL that she wouldn't push RCs because she didn't want to contribute to the guests' debt. I'm surprised she's still a GSA after making that known. Can you imagine telling the DTL that Red Cards are evil?

that just made me laugh out loud. Even if you don't agree with it why not just offer the debit card?

Cashiers should get $$ for every card.

How hard would it be to give $1 for every debit and $2 for every credit red card??

Wouldn't kill Target, in fact, they would find a huge return on the small investment.

We do...it's called the paycheck. ;-) They can keep the 5 or 6 dollars a week. Likely they would just want me to donate it to the United Way, anyway. And that would be if my store didn't manage to screw it up (they would...they can't do an attendance contest without screwing everyone out of it)....which would just create more stress and confusion.

One guest asked me one time if I ever got tired of pushing the Redcard (of course I do, you moron). I just smiled sweetly and said, "I never get tired of cashing my paycheck." Problem solved.

Last edited:
And that would be if my store didn't manage to screw it up (they would...they can't do an attendance contest without screwing everyone out of it)....which would just create more stress and confusion.

You sure you don't work at my store? Cuz ... boy did we screw that attendance contest six ways from sunday.

And that would be if my store didn't manage to screw it up (they would...they can't do an attendance contest without screwing everyone out of it)....which would just create more stress and confusion.

You sure you don't work at my store? Cuz ... boy did we screw that attendance contest six ways from sunday.

Let me guess...TMs got struck from the list for clocking out late or leaving early because the LOD didn't change the schedule in the computer for their own day of requests? That is the only way I could have been taken out of the running. I decided it wasn't worth fighting city hall.

At my store we got recognized over the walkie which is good enough for me. I also get a nod from GSTL and the ETL. Occasionally we get a free starbucks drink. I find it satisfying just getting 1 red card per shift.. I don't need any further incentives or awards for getting a RC applicant. As long as the team keeps recognizing us thru this way I feel appreciated and driven to continue pushing it. I consistently get 1 per shift and my personal best is 4 in a shift.

REDcards....REDcards.....REDcards.....I hate RED and I hate having to ask guests about the cards....especially when I see some guests a few times a week....they get tired of being asked and I get tired of asking.

Also, this is January and soon people will be getting their bills from Xmas shopping and who among them would want to get a REDcard?

I understand the whole process and why it is so important to Target. It's just that it gets tiring asking. If I thought that getting REDcards would make a difference in my paycheck (at r4eview time) then I might be more inclined to push the darned things. But why should I push the cards so Target can have more money to give to schools and not get anything from it at all?

Yes, REDcards are a part of my job, but just as a salesfloor TM can be thanked for staying extra or for coming in to cover a last minute call-off....why is it so tough for someone just to say "nice job!" to a cashier?!

RedCard conversion is basically how many signups you get over X amount of prompts.

GSTLs and GSAs are expected to make sure cashiers are asking and getting RedCards, which is why they are always pushing for it since they can't be on the lanes to do it themselves. Same with your ETL-GE and LOD (pushing the GSTL/GSA to push the cashiers). And when they get an alert on the LPDA that "TM X is not delivering the prompts", they're going to watch you like a hawk and try to get you to improve, because they are also responsible for cashier performance. Nature of the beast.

I think you may see TMs coached for not asking/skipping prompts, more often than not getting anyone to signup for a RedCard. When you keep hitting K8, they know.

I don't believe there is an alert on the LPDA when cashiers K8 through the prompt. We know who is and who is not asking just by walking around.

thank god, cuz i rarely ask in electronics.
fortunately, conversion doesn't seem to be a priority for any of our stellar team leads (aside from newbie mcPissEveryoneOff)

I don't believe there is an alert on the LPDA when cashiers K8 through the prompt. We know who is and who is not asking just by walking around.

As someone who carried a PDA in the front lanes, yes there IS an alert. Depending on the cashier, I'd watch to see if it happened again. It seemed to only flash on frontlanes only, not other depts.
Some I knew asked/got redcards regularly & would talk to the guest during the transaction so they would hit K8 quickly if the guest had declined beforehand.
The sneaky ones learned to wait a second or 2 to hit the button whether they asked or not. THEY were the ones I watched & directed the GSTLs to coach.

Yep...I always hit the button quickly because I have either already asked or have made the determination I won't be asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back