Lack of appreciation for Redcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe there is an alert on the LPDA when cashiers K8 through the prompt. We know who is and who is not asking just by walking around.

As redeye and Imerzan have already stated, yes, there is an alert. I had to borrow an LPDA from a GSTL once, and I saw the alert before I switched to Item Search.

i'm probably not going to seem very popular when i say this but getting redcards is your core role and you shouldn't get anything for getting them.
Do salesfloor team members get prizes for setting an endcap quickly? for running abandon out fast? getting that callbox before it's too late?

I'm so sick and tired of cashiers thinking that they deserve something big for doing something that is part of their job.

I'm all for recognizing team members for things that they do and having a game or prizes once in awhile but to come to work and expect to get something besides your paycheck for doing your job is just getting out of hand.

UMMMMM...... Are you a cashier? Do you work at the service desk?Are you a GSA or GSTL? Do you work full 8 hour shift at the front. I understand it is part of the core roles but Red cards account for a large part of the increase in sales so when your talking flex hours, their red cards help pay your check and sometimes this is to motivate more red cards. work an 8 hour shift at the front end

I don't believe there is an alert on the LPDA when cashiers K8 through the prompt. We know who is and who is not asking just by walking around.

As redeye and Imerzan have already stated, yes, there is an alert. I had to borrow an LPDA from a GSTL once, and I saw the alert before I switched to Item Search.

I carry a LPDA at the front and the update that just went through names the person logged in who skipped the prompt.

One of our ETLs got a bell or something so the GSA/GSTL could ring it to acknowledge redcards, but none of the GS-- like it so it didn't last.

I worked at Best Buy as my first job and they used balloons. You would see these cashiers with so many balloons and everyone on the floor would know you were getting applications.

i'm probably not going to seem very popular when i say this but getting redcards is your core role and you shouldn't get anything for getting them.
Do salesfloor team members get prizes for setting an endcap quickly? for running abandon out fast? getting that callbox before it's too late?

I'm so sick and tired of cashiers thinking that they deserve something big for doing something that is part of their job.

I'm all for recognizing team members for things that they do and having a game or prizes once in awhile but to come to work and expect to get something besides your paycheck for doing your job is just getting out of hand.

UMMMMM...... Are you a cashier? Do you work at the service desk?Are you a GSA or GSTL? Do you work full 8 hour shift at the front. I understand it is part of the core roles but Red cards account for a large part of the increase in sales so when your talking flex hours, their red cards help pay your check and sometimes this is to motivate more red cards. work an 8 hour shift at the front end

I think you agree with redandkhaki.

Started out as cashier, moved to SD, moved to Photo Asst, moved to GSA, and am now GSTL. so yes, i have worked at the front end the entire time at spot and i worked 8 hour cashier shifts were i was required to get redcards for over a year.
My whole point was that while yes i think it's fun and motivating to do games and have prizes it shouldn't be something that you expect for doing something that is your core role. I have (had) cashiers that would walk in and immediately say "what do i get today if i get a redcard?" that's just ridiculous. Like i said before, what other work center gets prizes for doing their core roles?
Once our store got away from doing games and prizes every single day and focused more on conversations and just doing your job our conversion score went way up.

I carry a LPDA at the front and the update that just went through names the person logged in who skipped the prompt.

When you are signed in as a GSTL? Where all the other alerts are? I have yet to see this alert and I'm signed in all day

Started out as cashier, moved to SD, moved to Photo Asst, moved to GSA, and am now GSTL. so yes, i have worked at the front end the entire time at spot and i worked 8 hour cashier shifts were i was required to get redcards for over a year.
My whole point was that while yes i think it's fun and motivating to do games and have prizes it shouldn't be something that you expect for doing something that is your core role. I have (had) cashiers that would walk in and immediately say "what do i get today if i get a redcard?" that's just ridiculous. Like i said before, what other work center gets prizes for doing their core roles?
Once our store got away from doing games and prizes every single day and focused more on conversations and just doing your job our conversion score went way up.

Well the prizes are kinda big if you want cashiers to go above and beyond. Personally I was okay getting only 1 a week because I was usually still green. Sure if an opportunity presents itself I'd take it, otherwise it's kinda whatevs. There needs to be bonus/incentives in my opinion similar to walmarts myShare, otherwise the only person who really benefits is the gstl/Ge, and they basically just get to keep their jobs.

One of our ETLs got a bell or something so the GSA/GSTL could ring it to acknowledge redcards, but none of the GS-- like it so it didn't last.

I worked at Best Buy as my first job and they used balloons. You would see these cashiers with so many balloons and everyone on the floor would know you were getting applications.

Now, that would be cool at my store.

I get that the core roles of being a cashier includes getting RedCards. I get it that we're expected to ask every guest every time....and I get it that RedCards are great for Target. What I don't get is how you can get a RedCard and the only comments that you get are things like "Great job....now get another one." or "Good work....see how many more you can get for the day." Or you hear the leadership talk about the 200 prompts that we got on a specific day and that we only got 5 cards for the day.

Whatever happened to saying, " Great job.....got a RedCard!" or "Wonderful work!" or "Nice!" I don't need prizes, but I do appreciate it when my STL or one of the LODs says "Nice work! Keep it up!" I don't like when they add things like...."get more...." or "why not try for two more by the end of your shift."

Just a simple "Thank-you for getting a RedCard" is enough.

When you are signed in as a GSTL? Where all the other alerts are? I have yet to see this alert and I'm signed in all day

When a person bypasses a prompt by hitting K8 immediately, you should get an alert. If I understand wilkezr correctly, the alert now shows the cashier's name rather than the lane number.

Really, this alert should be taken with a grain of salt. Many cashiers, including myself, ask at the beginning of the transaction. If the guest says no, then we know to hit K8 before we even see the prompt (after all, why would you ask again in the same transaction?). However, if you do see the alert often from the same cashiers, you may want to investigate - hang out near them to see if they're asking guests.

I'm with you there!!! My cashiers are vultures!! If I go a shift without someone asking me "What do I get for my REDcard!?" I will die!!

Getting redcards has no benefit for tms really. The redcard heavyweights at my old store are pay capped and still wont receive ex or higher for all their hard work. They have people who will line up just to checkout with them even when theres an empty lane.

Most cashiers i knew would just get the bare minimum, and i cant say i blame them.

We have one cashier who is one of our best, so they keep adding in extra shifts for her to work because of it. So I guess that is a reward (depending on how you look at it).

Anyone who actually wants to work should have no problem filling 40 hrs though (swap shift, etc)... Don't really see hours as a benefit.

One thing that always annoyed me was that the gstl or lod would never be content with someones redcards. You always had to get 5 more, rofl. I always tried to avoid saying "get more", except when the Lod would bark at me to do a Redcard update. Honestly I stopped doing Redcard announcements because let's be honest, theyre really fake lol.

Cashiers appreciate it when you recognize them for doing something well, but if you keep raising the bar, they'll just think you're never satisfied which is a buzz kill. Honestly if someone got ONE Redcard I'd be happy, because it only takes one per person to make for a big count at the end of the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
The general vibe (HURR) at my store among TM's is nothing short of disgruntled about the new redcard requirements. I haven't met a single cashier not angry about it, or a single non-cashier tm not angry about it, to be honest. The fact of the matter is that there's no incentive to getting them at all. If you don't get any, you might get a talking to, If you get 20 in a day, you're "challenged" to get one more, and whether you do or not, at the end of the day, you leave work with nothing more than you would have had you gotten no redcards, and when you clock in the next day, the harassment starts all over again. I'm not a cashier, but they give me a lot of cashier shifts. They know I don't turn over a lot of redcards, but they schedule me to cashier anyway. I'm not much of a people person, but I do try up until the point they start with demands and threats, then it's K8 city. I'll offer redcards to people and explain the benefits to the best of my abilities, but I'm not going to lie to people (which I know some cashiers do) or have my friends come in and apply for credit cards just to artificially inflate my red card turnover (Which everyone in the store knows some cashiers do, but they either look the other way or openly support that). However once a GSTL starts with the "YOU NEED TO GET THREE REDCARDS BEFORE YOU LEAVE OR THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES", or my personal favorite, "DID YOU GET A REDCARD YET? NO? APPLY FOR A CREDIT CARD YOURSELF THEN!", I really really stop caring. I make $8.08 an hour, which after saving for college, leaves me with little money to have a life. If I'm not at target, I'm at home because I don't have money for hobbies and the like. Getting stressed out over redcards is literally not worth my time and money. However, I understand that it's viewed as the GSTL's responsibility to make redcard goals, and I will push redcards for their sake as long as they're nice about it. If the time comes where I'm called in for a talking to over low red card turn over though, I will let them know that they can either stop scheduling me to cashier, or the alternative is my two weeks notice.

I have a lot of shifts scheduled during the morning. Most of my guests are pretty regular shoppers and many of them are moms. The majority of my guests already have the RedCard....and those that don't are tired of hearing me ask about the RedCard. I get tired of hearing myself ask guests about RedCards!

Right now our store's weekly RedCard sales amount is about 20% of our sales. What is the amount of weekly sales that Target expects from RedCards? What is the average amount of RedCard sales?

I'm not sure what the target goal is, I just know that the target conversion rate is now 2.5%, which in practice, makes it 3%, assuming your STL cares about his or her job. I still personally contend that 20% and higher is high for something like this, but I think corporate won't be happy until the number is >50%. We're in the mid 20's right now, which means one in five transactions is conducted with a red card, however that doesn't take into account the guests that have redcards, but are simply paying a different way that particular day. In reality, the amount of repeat customers that have red cards in our store could be 30% or more, which I consider more than satisfactory. Maybe me and corporate just don't see eye to eye, but one out of every three people having a store card sounds pretty darn good in my book.

If they want to up conversion, they should pay their GSAs respectably, then maybe we'd actually give a **** about conversion.

At my store every red card you get your name is put into a hat. Your name can go in as many times as you get a red card. Every new LOD shift a name is picked and prizes range from longer breaks, to DVDs, free lunch, and etc etc. Gstls also make the announcement "so and so got a red card" right next to the cashier so they get all the praise and everyone comgratulates them throughout the day. And if someone at my store doesn't get a red card they are subjected to a day where a GSA stands next to them and coaches them on how to get them... Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back