Lack of appreciation for Redcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the stores responsibility to not mislead people on the credit card too. Look what happened with the subprime mortgage crisis! I think spot does a good job checking credit, but still...

Also the debit is easy to overdraft on, the charges take half a week to show up... One overdraft and you can kiss that 5% goodbye for a long time.

Even if you didn't know that the draft takes 4 or more days to post to your account, you can't blame target for overdrawing your own account. Keep track of the money you spend. Your financial well being is your own responsibility. I haven't overdrawn my account since I was sixteen. Since then I've kept a record. It's not hard to keep track of your money. You only have yourself to blame if you're spending money you don't have.

i get the notion that people should be able to balance a checkbook - but at the same time, this is the modern age. whatever programs they use should be up to date enough to keep up with a modern digital and online life. one of the reasons most of my finances are electronic is so that I don't have to spend any time with pen and paper or a calculator to keep things in balance. every other card i have ever had posts that day if not immediately. it is antiquated. if i had the time to wait a week for something to clear and wanted to balance on paper i would just bring my checkbook. it just makes having the card redundant. 5%? not worth it IMO for a sub-par product.

signing a guest up for a redcard is a big sale. target has shot themselves in the foot with this by showing all employees that the average redcard holder spends 3 times the amount that non redcard holders do. the average interchange fee is a flat rate plus 2% of the transaction so if someone goes from spending 100 dollars a week with a normal credit card to spending 300 a week with a redcard you are saving target over 6 dollars in fees per transaction or 312 dollars per year, and thats not even where the biggest savings are. it is when guest stop in an buy one little thing with their redcard that they are saving money which is why smaller stores often have a 5 dollar minimum limit on credit transactions.

so yes i think target could at least give you one of those 5 dollar gift cards that they throw out to guests like candy for buying two big packages of toilet paper for getting a redcard.

and honestly knowing that if i got a redcard every hour that this weeks grocieries would be on target i would make it rain redcards hell i would be trying to sign people up for the credit AND debit and i am morally against astronomically high APR credit cards.

Last edited:
i get the notion that people should be able to balance a checkbook - but at the same time, this is the modern age. whatever programs they use should be up to date enough to keep up with a modern digital and online life. one of the reasons most of my finances are electronic is so that I don't have to spend any time with pen and paper or a calculator to keep things in balance. every other card i have ever had posts that day if not immediately. it is antiquated. if i had the time to wait a week for something to clear and wanted to balance on paper i would just bring my checkbook. it just makes having the card redundant. 5%? not worth it IMO for a sub-par product.

I definitely agree with you that it doesn't make sense that in 2013 it still takes the REDcard transactions four days to post to your account (even if you're with Target Credit Union), but you still can't throw the responsibility for keeping track of your money on the bank or target. You should know how much you deposit and you should know how much you spend. Your bank could be skimming money off your account or retailers and restaurants could be inflating your credit slips and you would never know if you just trust someone else to keep track of your money. I'm not all paranoid about people stealing my money, but I do like to keep track of where I'm spending and if I'm staying within my budget. Don't even get me started on how budgeting is a lost art. And there's no excuse for someone if they know that the REDcard debit charges take 4 days to post. Keep that in mind when you look at your bank account and quit making Target or anyone else out to be the bad guy on this one. There are plenty of things Target does that do deserve our ire, not being able to keep track of your own money isn't one of them.

Oh and since this is the modern age, there's apps that help you budget and maintain a check register! Keep track of your own money when you make payments and deposits and then compare it against your bank. Doesn't take long at all. And a lot of them have nifty features that let you track spending by category, income vs expense, and income by category, etc. Very useful apps. Just not as popular as angry birds. Man did I love me some angry birds.

Most people keep track with online banking nowadays... I'll usually check it fairly often to make sure the charges reflect properly, and to know what my available balance is before I go make a purchase.

I'm not saying its Target's fault if someone overdrafts, but that doesn't change the fact that the Debit Card is NOT online banking friendly!

Most people keep track with online banking nowadays... I'll usually check it fairly often to make sure the charges reflect properly, and to know what my available balance is before I go make a purchase.

I'm not saying its Target's fault if someone overdrafts, but that doesn't change the fact that the Debit Card is NOT online banking friendly!

Even more fun when the banks were pulling large drafts first so they could pull all the small ones after that so they could rack up more fees.

It sucks when stuff like that happens, but people shouldn't be spending money that they don't have. Take some responsibility of your own finances. And actually since the REDcard debit drafts don't come out for 4 days, Target is actually giving you the opportunity to play the float. People used to do it all the time when checks were the popular way to pay. Write a check spending money you don't have right now knowing that it takes a few days for the check to go through, make a deposit in the next day or so which goes in immediately, next day or so the check finally comes through and you have the money to cover it and no overdraft fees. Even back then people still had to know what was coming out when or they'd rack up fees. My mom has been a banker all my life so when I hear about the stupid stuff people do as far as money goes I have little sympathy. It all comes down to know what you really have in your account and don't spend more than that. That includes debits and credits that haven't yet posted. And most banks will remove those fees if you call them and explain the situation and it's a rare occurrence. If you're a serial overdrafter, they're not as inclined to help you out.

Last edited:
Why does it take so long to come out of your account anyway? When i tell guest that, they sometimes get thrown off by that.

Same reason it can take returns up to 48 to post? I still don't get that one either. How can purchases be almost immediate, but returns take a day or two?

Same reason it can take returns up to 48 to post? I still don't get that one either. How can purchases be almost immediate, but returns take a day or two?

it goes through internal auditing to make sure they aren't being scammed. when you make a purchase via credit or debt they are getting that money "instantly" from the bank even if you can't really afford it.

OK....back to the GSTL question about how to do things differently.
We have 2 GSTLs and 2 GSAs.
One of my GSTLs is a royal pain in the behind. If I never saw her again, it would be too soon. She's mean to guests and if you need her at the register she treats you like a three year old.
My other GSTL can be rude to guests, but she's supportive of her TMs. She doesn't mince words, but she's there to help you get better at things. I've had my run-ins with her....but we've reached a great understanding with each other.

Both GSTLs have been with the company for over 6 years. They are "seasoned" and know how things are supposed to work.

What could these GSTLs do to help with the whole "get those Redcards" issue?

1) Please don't tell me every shift that we "need" Redcards.....or, if you do, telling me ONCE is enough.
2) Please don't remind me that we need Redcards every other time you walk by my lane.
3) Please don't use the walkie to tell everyone that "it is noon and we don't have any Redcards." It is embarrassing and makes me feel as though I'm not doing my job. I can't help it if guests say "no" or already have a Redcard.
4) Please don't tell me that "yesterday (insert TM name) got three cards....see if you can beat that." Personally, I've had one day when I've gotten three cards in a day.
5) Please don't tell me that "we only got 4 cards yesterday so today we need to make sure we get 12 to keep us GREEN."
6) Please don't walk by me several times a day and ask me if I'm asking every guest every time.
7) Please don't ask me "Have you gotten a Redcard yet?" when I've only been in for half an hour.
8) Please don't ask me if I have any Redcard applications in my drawer....you already checked with me when I came in.
9) Have some type of recognition besides telling people over the walkie that TM just saved our 4th guest 5% by getting a Redcard.
10) Say "Thank-you" or "Great job" when I get a Redcard.
11) Have a contest......even if it just one contest every 4 months....and the reward is just a $5.00 gift card...or let the winner get one full week without having to close or open.....or give them a weekend day off....or two days off in a row.
12) I'm responsible and don't need a GSTL being my babysitter.....others made need a babysitter, but not me.
13) Tell me that "yesterday we got 10 Redcards......what a great job they did!" "Keep up the good work!"
14) If I've gotten a Redcard and come over to tell you that I got it.....don't tell me "Oh, I already know that." I feel like I'm wasting your time....and I wonder if getting a Redcard is even worth it.
15) Let me give you a "high five" to celebrate getting a Redcard.
16) At least pretend to be happy to learn that I got a Redcard.

OK, maybe some of these things seem childish or they sound like I'm being picky....I am. What I'm looking for is to be appreciated for getting a Redcard....and realize that not all team members need to hear these reminders a dozen times a day.

It's the stores responsibility to not mislead people on the credit card too. Look what happened with the subprime mortgage crisis! I think spot does a good job checking credit, but still...

Also the debit is easy to overdraft on, the charges take half a week to show up... One overdraft and you can kiss that 5% goodbye for a long time.

They don't take that long, i'm pretty the reason they take so long to process is because target routes transactions through the target bank then the individuals bank to avoid the visa/mc fee.

OK....back to the GSTL question about how to do things differently.
We have 2 GSTLs and 2 GSAs.
One of my GSTLs is a royal pain in the behind. If I never saw her again, it would be too soon. She's mean to guests and if you need her at the register she treats you like a three year old.
My other GSTL can be rude to guests, but she's supportive of her TMs. She doesn't mince words, but she's there to help you get better at things. I've had my run-ins with her....but we've reached a great understanding with each other.

Both GSTLs have been with the company for over 6 years. They are "seasoned" and know how things are supposed to work.

What could these GSTLs do to help with the whole "get those Redcards" issue?

1) Please don't tell me every shift that we "need" Redcards.....or, if you do, telling me ONCE is enough.
2) Please don't remind me that we need Redcards every other time you walk by my lane.
3) Please don't use the walkie to tell everyone that "it is noon and we don't have any Redcards." It is embarrassing and makes me feel as though I'm not doing my job. I can't help it if guests say "no" or already have a Redcard.
4) Please don't tell me that "yesterday (insert TM name) got three cards....see if you can beat that." Personally, I've had one day when I've gotten three cards in a day.
5) Please don't tell me that "we only got 4 cards yesterday so today we need to make sure we get 12 to keep us GREEN."
6) Please don't walk by me several times a day and ask me if I'm asking every guest every time.
7) Please don't ask me "Have you gotten a Redcard yet?" when I've only been in for half an hour.
8) Please don't ask me if I have any Redcard applications in my drawer....you already checked with me when I came in.
9) Have some type of recognition besides telling people over the walkie that TM just saved our 4th guest 5% by getting a Redcard.
10) Say "Thank-you" or "Great job" when I get a Redcard.
11) Have a contest......even if it just one contest every 4 months....and the reward is just a $5.00 gift card...or let the winner get one full week without having to close or open.....or give them a weekend day off....or two days off in a row.
12) I'm responsible and don't need a GSTL being my babysitter.....others made need a babysitter, but not me.
13) Tell me that "yesterday we got 10 Redcards......what a great job they did!" "Keep up the good work!"
14) If I've gotten a Redcard and come over to tell you that I got it.....don't tell me "Oh, I already know that." I feel like I'm wasting your time....and I wonder if getting a Redcard is even worth it.
15) Let me give you a "high five" to celebrate getting a Redcard.
16) At least pretend to be happy to learn that I got a Redcard.

OK, maybe some of these things seem childish or they sound like I'm being picky....I am. What I'm looking for is to be appreciated for getting a Redcard....and realize that not all team members need to hear these reminders a dozen times a day.

A lot of these things are expected of us by the ETL-GE or the STL. I'm just doing my job like you're doing yours. :) 14 and 16 are rude though and that's uncalled for.

They don't take that long, i'm pretty the reason they take so long to process is because target routes transactions through the target bank then the individuals bank to avoid the visa/mc fee.

They do it as an ACH e-check kinda transaction. Some banks take longer on these than others. It usually took 3 days for transactions to come out of my account (had the card connected to two different bank accounts. Same thing). Longer if you buy something on a weekend. I went over twice. Depending on how much I go over by, it costs $54 because Target charges $25 in my state, and my bank charges $29. Haven't used the card since the second time it happened months ago, and I still owe Target.

On the appreciation topic, I know it's apart of a cashier's job, but a few people at my store can get 7-10 in a shift. Those people deserve some sort of thank you even if it's something small. I had two cashier shifts (I have no idea whose idea that was) last week and I got 1 card... after one of the card wizards talked it up a bit since her line was empty. Actually maybe those who aren't card wizards should get some appreciation too. There have been studies that show that employees that feel appreciated usually are better, more productive workers.

I haven't been around for a few days, so I apologize if this reply is a little late. I am not a Corporate "shrill" (don't you mean shill?), a husk of a person or a power tripping TL (thanks for the private notification - if you don't have the balls to say it out loud, you're sort of a chicken ****, aren't you?).

I'm doing my job. If you can't or won't do yours, find another one. I'm respectful of the TMs and my peers and show appreciation for each and every REDCard. No, I don't pay you extra to do your job and I don't feel bad about that. If you were actually doing your job by meeting expectations, this wouldn't be an issue. No one made you take this job. No one is forcing you to stay. If you feel that you're worth so much more, then why aren't you getting it? hmmm. I started as a part time seasonal cashier less than 1 1/2 years ago and now I'm GSTL in a store that has more cashier hours than the other stores in my district have total hours. And I had no experience in retail. But I worked my butt off, met and exceeded expectations. Perhaps you should stop feeling sorry for yourself and work towards a better life.

Re: my last post, I don't blame Target for my overdrafts. I know I did it lol. But, before I switched to TCU, with USAA, you can manually add transactions before they actually come out, and its app will show the projected balance. I got reliant on that and messed up with TCU because I didn't remember the exact amount (I went over by 42¢ once.) of the Target transaction on the spot. Not a big deal, I'm just not gonna use the card until I trust myself to do so... and when I pay the $25 fee. The debit card basically works the way PayPal works when connected to a bank account.

If for some reason I'm scheduled for cashier hours that I didn't request, will sucking at redcards hurt me? Or will they just stop scheduling me as cashier? Idk why they schedule me for it. I always say no when they try to call me in for cashier. I hate it enough that being broke seems better.

What is it with the snide comments made in private messages? Have you not the courage to post?

I haven't been around for a few days, so I apologize if this reply is a little late. I am not a Corporate "shrill" (don't you mean shill?), a husk of a person or a power tripping TL (thanks for the private notification - if you don't have the balls to say it out loud, you're sort of a chicken ****, aren't you?).

I'm doing my job. If you can't or won't do yours, find another one. I'm respectful of the TMs and my peers and show appreciation for each and every REDCard. No, I don't pay you extra to do your job and I don't feel bad about that. If you were actually doing your job by meeting expectations, this wouldn't be an issue. No one made you take this job. No one is forcing you to stay. If you feel that you're worth so much more, then why aren't you getting it? hmmm. I started as a part time seasonal cashier less than 1 1/2 years ago and now I'm GSTL in a store that has more cashier hours than the other stores in my district have total hours. And I had no experience in retail. But I worked my butt off, met and exceeded expectations. Perhaps you should stop feeling sorry for yourself and work towards a better life.

Having balls means doing the right thing even when everyone above you is pressuring you to do the wrong thing. I'm not going to compromise my integrity as a human ****ing being because some corporate ****lord threatens me with dismissal for not turning myself into a debt peddler. No, I have no problem following orders, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

The fact of the matter is, is that not all of the population has an adequate grasp about concepts like 'credit', 'debt', 'interests rates', 'transaction posting', etc. It's quite surprising how few people actually do. The manner in which Target asks its employees to peddle cards is incredibly misleading and destructive. Stuff like boasting about how 5% off purchases is SUCH a big discount when in reality you are talking about pocket change on most purchases. Then you have stuff like not disclosing the interest rate, suggestions from some GSTLs (note not all) to purposely withhold that what they are signing up for is a credit card, 4 day delays in transaction posting, and a bunch of other crap designed to suck money out of the ignorant and ill-informed.

Yes, it is true that some responsibility must fall on the individual to manage their own finances. However, some responsibility must also fall on the lender to make a decision about an individual's capacity to understand what they are getting into. Target simply doesn't care. Old and senile with the beginning of dementia? Sign up for a red card! Autism spectrum? Sign up for a red card! Poor reading comprehension? That's ok! Don't worry about what any of that legal stuff says and just press the green button! Native language isn't English? No problem! Just keep on pressing that green button, and put your social security number right in that box!

Quite a few of you like to just hand wave away responsibility for anything by claiming that it is up to the customer to realize they are getting screwed, that it is 'not my problem' if someone's quality of life is impacted a conscious decision to mislead. Great job on giving up your humanity. Here's a great team card.

By the way mxrbook, I have no idea who is sending you insulting PMs, but it is certainly not me. I prefer making my insults in the public domain.

Debt peddler ;) I like that one!

And yeah the 5% savings is useless for day to day purchases... It's only really good in conjunction with a tm discount on a big purchase.

I know cashiers who will only recommend the debit card for just that reason.

People have very strong opinions on this and so do I but let's not personalize this.
And just because it's in a PM or through the karma system that is still part of the board and can get you banned if it is constant, abusive, or obscene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back