Archived Largest store in east coast - opening 7/27

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaticSun

Former Front-End Guru
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ady-for-a-massive-target-king-of-prussia.html

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/clip/10394802/shoppers-get-sneak-peak-of-mega-target-in-king-of-prussia

The Valley Forge Shopping Center is already one of the busiest areas in King of Prussia. And, with the advent of a new Target store, it’s bound to get even busier.
The 165,000-square-foot Target store (160 W. Dekalb Pike), the largest Target in the East Coast, according to Upper Merion Township officials, is set to open its doors to the public at 8 a.m. Sunday.

It’s what Target calls a “general merchandise with expanded fresh food” layout.
Along with a grocery section that’s 40 percent larger than other Target stores, the King of Prussia location will also have a Starbucks, Target Optical and Target Pharmacy. It will also be elevated above the 800-space parking garage, half of which will be underground.

Also unique to this store format is the presence of iPads in the electronic department, where customers will be able to view and order Target products online. "Special team members" dressed in black will also "assist with mobile needs" in the electronics department, said Kristen Emmons, spokeswoman for Target.

And, although this Target format is not necessarily unique to the company, Emmons said the Minneapolis-based retail giant builds stores to "meet the local flavors" of the community. And, seeing as how it's down the road from the largest mall in the United States (in terms of leasable retail space), it may not be a surprise that a format of this scale was chosen for the location.

Also unique to this store format is the presence of iPads in the electronic department, where customers will be able to view and order Target products online. "Special team members" dressed in black will also "assist with mobile needs" in the electronics department, said Kristen Emmons, spokeswoman for Target.

That.... doesn't sound unique at all. That just sounds like Apple Shop and Target Mobile, both of which my store has

Let me elaborate - I believe there is, at most, only one store in the Philadelphia region (includes 3 districts) was piloting the Apple Shop. It's a relatively unknown concept in this area.

That Mall supervisor looks and sounds like he's been skiing quite a bit on mirror lake recently.

I heard they always have fresh powder on the slopes up there.

I'm kinda sad that the other things that stood out most about it to me was a cart attendant using the cart pusher incorrectly, and one of those weird huddles where they do a wal-mart style target chant that I've only ever seen in PR videos...

165,000 square feet makes the news out there? Do you all have really small stores or something? We're at like 150,000. So this one is a bit bigger, but it doesn't seem overly massive.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm... Township officials have not done their research properly.... there are several SuperTargets along the east coast that are over 180,000 sq ft..... unless they are only considering the Pfresh prototype.... I know mine is 186,000 per the store info sheet on workbench...

After doing some research...The largest mall in the US according to Wikipedia by space and size is the King of Prussia Mall (Mall of America is biggest when you include the theme park) which according to Google maps is roughly a mile down the road. Also a mile down the road is a Wegmans. The mall has a Lord & Taylor, Sears, JCPenney, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Macy's, and Bloomingdales.

So yeah. Busy area. And a load of competition. Okay, Target. At least you were smart and realized this store needed to kick ass in grocery because I am about 1000% sure that that's what'll drive the sales at this store.

Keep in mind, there are no Super Ts within an 8-10 hour drive of the Philadelphia area, so I'll bet they're referring to GM/Pfresh stores,

^^ That. I don't think Spot is really building SuperT's anymore, are they? I heard they are less profitable per square foot compared to pFresh stores, and they're moving away from the deli/bakery model. It would make sense that any new, really big Targets being built would be bulked up pFreshes, not full-on SuperT's.

The reporter says it's 135,000 sq feet. I've worked in bigger targets. East Coast must have small stores.

No they're not building Supertargets anymore. They aren't profitable. Pfresh is the way to go (but still not as profitable.). Too much food is thrown out. We need to get back OUT of the food industry and focus on electronics.

The reporter says it's 135,000 sq feet. I've worked in bigger targets. East Coast must have small stores.
The reporter said 135,000 sq ft sales floor. The entire store is 165,000 according to the article.

Either way, it isn't much bigger than my ULV GM store.

I was just here. Pfresh frozen has 15 doors in each aisle and dry has 10 sections. Electronics is boss with all the displays. Some of the end caps (new releases) have lighted decorative sides. The baby section has a desk and a kiosk with an iPad. Everything is so clean and bright. The new hanging signs are cool looking. Parking garage is huge... about 4 times the size of my store's. Other than those things it is just another target. Pretty much the same layout of mine.

pshhh 165,000sq the Target owned location I work at has a couple million sqft. : D

(dc)

^^ That. I don't think Spot is really building SuperT's anymore, are they? I heard they are less profitable per square foot compared to pFresh stores, and they're moving away from the deli/bakery model. It would make sense that any new, really big Targets being built would be bulked up pFreshes, not full-on SuperT's.

No they're not building Supertargets anymore. They aren't profitable. Pfresh is the way to go (but still not as profitable.). Too much food is thrown out. We need to get back OUT of the food industry and focus on electronics.

Honestly, the first Target I ever shopped at was a Super Target, and I'm consistently disappointed by GM and P-Fresh stores.

If Target got rid of the Super Targets around me, I would most likely stop shopping at Target.

Checked it out last night during the PM rush. There were 8 registers open, no line was more than 1+1. The market zone was incredibly well done, considering the time of day. The store was super clean, although nobody asked CIHYFS even though I was in the store for over an hour.

The vermaport is neat, albeit a bit clunkier than other area stores. The parking garage underneath is super convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back