Archived Latest rumor at my store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Target has not yet learned that we cannot compete the same way with the way people shop now. I believe the majority of people shopping on black Friday are in and out for door busters only. People are internet shopping. The way people shopped 10 years ago has changed, Target hasn't caught up.

I heard this rumor as well from my ETL. I usually don't do anything on holidays, so I don't mind. It's more money, I guess. But, I can see how this will cause frustration with TMs that have families. It would suck getting scheduled a double on Thanksgiving and missing out on spending time with family on the holidays. If we do open our deals at 8am, I'm curious to see what will happen next year. 7am? Black Friday starting at 9pm Wednesday?

Our etlhr asked about a number of days coming up and about our availability on each special day. When asked about thanksgiving day I told her I was not available. IMO, that's the way it should be. I'm fine with people that want to work that day, but I will not. We usually have enough people that want to work that day, so those that don't are not forced. Amen

Found a set of papers that are listed as "Q4/Human Resources" it is a six page document...and on page two it lists "KEY SPEAKING POINTS"......there are several bullet items and it mentions Holiday hours..."we will continue to offer the $1.00 special Thanksgiving shift pay for hours worked between noon on Thanksgiving Day through 8am on Black Friday." It seems to imply that there may be an earlier open time on Thanksgiving Day.

Page 3 echoes this same statement "extra $1 per hour for all hours worked between noon on Thanksgiving Day through 8:00am on Black Friday."

Another piece of information within this document mentions "Extra $1 per hour for all hours worked between 5pm through 11:59pm on Christmas Eve."
However it does also say "see store specific hours for closing time."

I don't remember if our store was opened until midnight on Christmas Eve last year....but the possibility remains that some people may be working late enough on Christmas Eve that they may see Santa Claus delivering toys!

So the hours of Thanksgiving may cover the entire day.... and the hours will be announced mid-November.

Looking through the holiday staffing guide (might've been a different similarly named Q4 resource) there are three sets of holiday hours. Stores will find out which one they are at a later date. Extended hours seem to be starting earlier this year, but the latest anyone will be open is midnight. How late you're open and what days you're open late will depend on which holiday hours segment you fall under. of course Black Friday hours are not listed and any info is subject to change.

The extra dollar until 8am Black Friday is new. It used to be until midnight on Thanksgiving.

But still...does corporate think we can't do simple math? If I do an 8 hour shift, that's $8 extra. Big whoop. That's nearly an insult to think that they are raking in all of this money, and they want to throw an extra $8 at me.

Had to speak with an HR TM at my store the other day, she asked about my availability on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.

I told her I would work any time on black friday but preferred not to work thanksgiving, she said "I can't say no to anyone but I can try to get you something like, middle of the night so you only work friday"

Stranger things have happened. As a TL I got assigned line control for half my shift and sorting returns in the backroom for the other 4 hours. Best part was that I took over return sorting from my STL who had been doing it for a couple of hours. It bears repeating: My STL spent 2 hours on black Friday sorting returns in the backroom by herself like there was nothing better she could be doing!

Black Friday is the only day I have seen the (interim) STL at the lanes. It is definitely an "all hands on deck" kind of day.

Stranger things have happened. As a TL I got assigned line control for half my shift and sorting returns in the backroom for the other 4 hours. Best part was that I took over return sorting from my STL who had been doing it for a couple of hours. It bears repeating: My STL spent 2 hours on black Friday sorting returns in the backroom by herself like there was nothing better she could be doing!

Wow. And I thought my STL wandering around the store with his wife taking selfies was bad.

I am thinking it will be 6pm on Thanksgiving day that we open. It would be time and a half so id love it.

Wow. And I thought my STL wandering around the store with his wife taking selfies was bad.
If our old STL was still around, having him sort returns would mean that we were safe from his wrath for a few hours (as long as we stayed away). Our new STL would sort them and push them in 20 minutes and then say "if I can do it, so can you!"

If we are going to be open turkey day, we may as well just be open 8a-11p regular hours and close til 8am Black Friday. Why be open overnight if all the sales and product will be sold out within 3 hours of opening at 8am!!!???

I just heard we are taking a truck on Black Friday! How the hell is that going to work?!
Very poorly, that's how.
I also heard the other day we might be getting a truck on Black Friday at my store. I'm really not pumped for that. It's going to be an ugly mess, I can feel it. Nobody on Flow here can figure out how it'll work at all smoothly short of soing a metered unload (I think that's what it's called?) throughout the day. Yuck.

I'm fairly certain that we took a truck on BF last year. After the initial blitz the ETLs thought it would be fun if they ran the unload themselves. I left at 3, so I don't know how the push went.

Wasn't it 8pm last year? My silly not realistic guess would be 5pm or 6pm on Thanksgiving night as a start time.

However, if it's 8am on Thanksgiving night

tumblr_m90a7nyIr61qhej3yo1_500.gif

and

what most of you will be thinking if it's true

tumblr_lmyeg4yp7y1qg4ayxo1_500.gif

My STL spent 2 hours on black Friday sorting returns in the backroom by herself like there was nothing better she could be doing!

I'll trade ya.

STL: Backroom, I just dropped some EXFs for toys that need pulled ASAP.
Me: We'll get to them when we can, there's only 5 of us and the CAFs this hour were 4 1/2 hours and I have 2 people who have to go to lunch or they will hit meal compliance. Although I do have 4 pallets of toys pulls waiting to be worked and I specifically reserved 2 flats so they can be used to work them. I can load one up right now and it will be ready to go to the floor in 3 min.
STL: No, I need those EXFs. NOW.
/toggle and look at the size of the EXFs on My Progress. Each one is 20+ DPCIs and there's 5 of them.
Me: If I pull these, the CAFs are going to roll. Are you sure you don't want some of these toys from the earlier CAFs?
STL: Make it happen.

Since I had been pulling toys all day, it took less than 5 minutes to see that it was the exact same shit I had already pulled. I loaded up 2 flats from the palletized pulls, let them sit for 30 minutes while I pulled the CAFs, and burned his EXFs after the CAFs were done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back