Archived Leave of Absence (LOA) and Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working for Target for two years with random hours (35 hrs one week, 10 hrs the next week). Recently, about a month ago, I started receiving benefits through Target because I was done risking living with no health insurance. Now, I just accepted a new full-time position with another organization which I need a month to train for before a steady schedule goes into place. I still intend to keep Target as a part-time thing, but I need to put in a LOA to train for the new job. Once training is completed with the new job and I know my hours, I plan to tell Target I can work for them again.

Question: I'm assuming on an LOA, my benefits will cease. Or, will they be all out cancelled and I'll need to wait to the next enrollment period to re-sign up? Or, will they still be there when I come back?

Thanks all.

I took a 2 wk LOA recently for a vacation. Since my health bennies are based on avg hrs worked. 2 days before I returned to work I rec a letter from target telling me my LOA has been approved and by the way you owe us for your health ions. So your health ins will continue but you ave to pay for it,

Target Benefit Center answers all questions about Leaves of Absences and it's impact on your benefits while on that leave 800-828-5850 they will clarify if/how you can keep your benefits while on a leave of absence, and how payment for those benefits will need to be made. They will also let you know if you can discontinue your benefits while on a leave.

the benefit center will definitely answer your questions. however, you cannot seek another job or work elsewhere while on LOA (technically). i believed it is outlined on ehr, but it's been a while since i looked at it.

Actually, to clarify, as long as you maintain your employment with Target, you will be expected to keep your coverage and therefore pay your premiums unless you become newly eligible elsewhere, again, these are things the Target Benefit Center handle. You can certainly talk to your HR and the TBC about taking a "personal leave" and they will let you know your eligibility to do such a thing, and for how long you can do that.

the benefit center will definitely answer your questions. however, you cannot seek another job or work elsewhere while on LOA (technically). i believed it is outlined on ehr, but it's been a while since i looked at it.

Your right.... Just dont make it known your working another job... you could jeopardize your position at target.

Your right.... Just dont make it known your working another job... you could jeopardize your position at target.

Yeah, I realized/read it after submitting it. However, my HR put in me in as an educational leave, thus it went through. Been on leave since October. Thus, if I remember correctly, I have until March to come back (180 days/6 months)? Which probably isn't happening, thank god.

As far as benefits, I am still getting them and paying for them, they are just not being deducted from a Target pay check obviously. But, again, those will end in March.

I do kinda miss working for Target as I really enjoyed working with some of my co-workers and bosses. However, non-consistent hours, low pay, and a lack of opportunity for growth really forced me to look else where. I couldn't live off $220 every two weeks! If I was able to step up into a management position, even TL, I would have considered staying long-term with Target. That's my biggest complaint about the place.

I'm not sure what happened to the first 3 posts on this topic, but the answers were on there. Basically, you will continue to have benefits unless you go onto a leave of absence, if you do, you'll reach out to the Target Benefit Center leave and disability department will let you know your options to cancel your benefits while on your leave, however, I can tell you that you can't cancel your benefits during the plan year unless you become newly eligible elsewhere, and you must cancel your benefits within one month of acquiring new coverage elsewhere.
I've been working for Target for two years with random hours (35 hrs one week, 10 hrs the next week). Recently, about a month ago, I started receiving benefits through Target because I was done risking living with no health insurance. Now, I just accepted a new full-time position with another organization which I need a month to train for before a steady schedule goes into place. I still intend to keep Target as a part-time thing, but I need to put in a LOA to train for the new job. Once training is completed with the new job and I know my hours, I plan to tell Target I can work for them again.

Question: I'm assuming on an LOA, my benefits will cease. Or, will they be all out cancelled and I'll need to wait to the next enrollment period to re-sign up? Or, will they still be there when I come back?

Thanks all.

Actually, I believe you can take an education leave for up to 12 months before you would have to return. You should have been given the option to cancel your benefits during your LOA or you could start them back up when you get back, otherwise you will be expected to pay for those benefits while on the leave if you don't cancel them.
Yeah, I realized/read it after submitting it. However, my HR put in me in as an educational leave, thus it went through. Been on leave since October. Thus, if I remember correctly, I have until March to come back (180 days/6 months)? Which probably isn't happening, thank god.

As far as benefits, I am still getting them and paying for them, they are just not being deducted from a Target pay check obviously. But, again, those will end in March.

I do kinda miss working for Target as I really enjoyed working with some of my co-workers and bosses. However, non-consistent hours, low pay, and a lack of opportunity for growth really forced me to look else where. I couldn't live off $220 every two weeks! If I was able to step up into a management position, even TL, I would have considered staying long-term with Target. That's my biggest complaint about the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back