Archived leaving after two and half years

Status
Not open for further replies.
i’ve had enough! i’ve been working as a hardline team member for 2 years. Loved it! worked in the home department, took care of my own end caps, hearth n hand, trend runs. This new way has done me in. Since October all i do is sort repacks or push truck all day. I never get transferred back to hardlines to work on stuff i need to get done. I’m normally scheduled inbound for a few hours, every day. Some days it only me or one other pushing truck in the home department. We rarely get it done.
i used to love my job but now i dispise it.

and so today was my last day and STL didn’t say a word to me. So glad i’m done with Target. they treat employees like shit and the older employees are getting screwed at my store. i won’t recommend anyone working there. and to think I used to LOVE my job. Modernization totally ruined it for me. Too many expectations., on an average truck day i would be responsible for at least 6-8 flats in the home section. Most boxes bigger than me and then trying to back stock bulk plastic, and furniture. Not happening as i was never trained to use any back room equipment as a hardlines sales floor team member. But with the modernization, I was basically forced to work truck, push truck, back stock and whatever else. Just glad it’s over!

I don't necessarily disagree that modernization has been largely a bust. I've worked at Target about as long as you did, and am in the same position (although it sounds like my duties are a bit more diversified, because I am crosstrained in market, electronics, and guest service in addition to mainly being a GM team member) and I feel like you probably have reasons for quitting. I will say that, while I do not "love" my job the way I did when I first got hired, it is better at my store than it was just a few months ago. Sure, modernization sucks shit. I think all of us know that (including the leaders, although most play coy about it). But the fact is, that's probably the future for retail, for better or worse (it's worse, but whatever). Compete with Amazon, compete with everyone. If you're looking to get a better shake at entry level, I dunno what to tell ya, honestly.

I guess it doesn't matter since you've already quit, but I'd like to say, my place in the store started getting better when I began approach my ETL and store director and make real cases for WHY I felt I was better suited in some roles than others. Instead of just saying "this isn't what I want to do" or "I can't meet these expectations", I would say things like "Hey, I really believe that it would be a better use of my time and yours if I was in hardlines instead of market. I really thrive with guests and they respond well to me. I can push out everything and get every call in hardlines and make a whole department look pretty, and I think you could use that over there"

when I began approaching them that way, I saw myself getting moved back to hardlines and spending less time helping other teams with jobs I was less happy/productive in.

I won't say I'm happy you left; I'm not invested enough in target to care one way or the other. But I will say that I am happy if you're happy. I hope you can find another job at entry level that treats you better. In this climate, I'm honestly not too sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back