Archived Let's talk Money

Do you believe Target compensation is fair based on the work you perform?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do indeed think the pay if very unfair... I bust my butt off... I do a lot of the same things the GSA/GSTL does... I take on responsibilities and extra jobs when asked. I better be getting one hell of a good raise or get the promotion I know I deserve or I am out.

I am paid way below glassdoor.com for my TL position. 11. an hour is not cutting how much work I am doing. I even tried to negotiate when I was promoted and used glassdoor.com for averages on pay for my position. of course they laughed at me and told me I was way off and that Target does not pay any TL close to what I was asking for which was 14 and hour. So sadly I am looking at new jobs. I really like my job at Target but I cant afford my bills for the position I am in when other new TLs around me were able to negotiate and I was told no.

Plus, my store is soooo short handed. I am expected to do the work of 5 people daily. I can not fulfill my job as TL and expect to finish endcaps if I am on a register all day because my store cant afford to hire cashiers.

I'd join a union. There is very little training, and huge expectations right now.

In the POG and signing world, we've had our shifts move up from 4 am starts to 8 am starts, gradually, within the past couple years, I think to take some slack off of the non-existent sales floor team, but it's difficult to do our jobs effectively when there are guests running around. I can't hang Toms overheads in ready to wear in the middle of the day on Sunday, and changing out CSEs sucks constantly.

I'm months into this job, and I've still not been given SAP privileges. I've talked to anyone who will listen about it, and everyone acts like they care, but nothing gets done.

My signing hours are in no way sacred. I get pulled to do every little thing, from POGs to getting carts. I'm waiting for someone to mention how my signing pallet has been sitting on the line for a week, untouched, but it's out of my control, so they can say all they want.

In an ideal world, my dollar raise for this position would have been enough. I can see if we weren't stretched so thin that my job wouldn't be an exceedingly difficult one. If I had all the hours promised to me actually be my hours, then I could get a lot of stuff done.

I think at some point, hiring workers at a base, minimum pay makes sense. I'm fine with someone who only ever cashiers making a small wage, because their use is limited. The most valuable people, in my mind, are the people who know multiple workcenters in and out, and can do anything you ask of them, or are willing to learn anything you ask of them immediately. Why do those people make $8 an hour? Not to discount a good cashier's value. Good cashiers are hard to come by, but again, every single really great cashier I've ever known has had experience all around the store and can do anything in a pinch.

Basically, the gist of my post is that I hate being a jack of all trades for base pay, but I don't see anything wrong with a newbie who knows one workcenter making base pay. Also, woohoo unions, I'd join one in a heartbeat if one actually got off the ground and my job wouldn't immediately be in danger by even thinking about it.

I'd join a union. There is very little training, and huge expectations right now.

In the POG and signing world, we've had our shifts move up from 4 am starts to 8 am starts, gradually, within the past couple years, I think to take some slack off of the non-existent sales floor team, but it's difficult to do our jobs effectively when there are guests running around. I can't hang Toms overheads in ready to wear in the middle of the day on Sunday, and changing out CSEs sucks constantly.

I'm months into this job, and I've still not been given SAP privileges. I've talked to anyone who will listen about it, and everyone acts like they care, but nothing gets done.

My signing hours are in no way sacred. I get pulled to do every little thing, from POGs to getting carts. I'm waiting for someone to mention how my signing pallet has been sitting on the line for a week, untouched, but it's out of my control, so they can say all they want.

In an ideal world, my dollar raise for this position would have been enough. I can see if we weren't stretched so thin that my job wouldn't be an exceedingly difficult one. If I had all the hours promised to me actually be my hours, then I could get a lot of stuff done.

I think at some point, hiring workers at a base, minimum pay makes sense. I'm fine with someone who only ever cashiers making a small wage, because their use is limited. The most valuable people, in my mind, are the people who know multiple workcenters in and out, and can do anything you ask of them, or are willing to learn anything you ask of them immediately. Why do those people make $8 an hour? Not to discount a good cashier's value. Good cashiers are hard to come by, but again, every single really great cashier I've ever known has had experience all around the store and can do anything in a pinch.

Basically, the gist of my post is that I hate being a jack of all trades for base pay, but I don't see anything wrong with a newbie who knows one workcenter making base pay. Also, woohoo unions, I'd join one in a heartbeat if one actually got off the ground and my job wouldn't immediately be in danger by even thinking about it.
No one seems to actually know how to acquire Sap privileges. You could try mysupporting it to get access, may need your STL to do it though.

The cost of living grew faster than wages in the early 90s. My dad has worked for 48+ years and still only makes $15 an hour. 48 YEARS!!

Bottom line is companies are greedy. They put money in their pockets rather than investing in their people.

As for degree holders not finding work - shouldn't have majored in underwater basket weaving - for real though, it takes a lot of work to find a job. Nothing is easy.

I knew a TM with a degree in Zoology - what to do with that?

You're so right about wages, they have been stagnant since the 80's while the compensation for the top level administration has increased a hundred fold.
The middle class is a dying breed in the United States, sad to say.

Like I said in another thread about getting your degree, there is nothing wrong with making your avocation your vocation as long as you have a solid plan.
If you expect just to fall into a job when you graduate you are sorely mistaken in this day and age.
As I found out the hard way there are even some degrees it's best not to mention on your resume at all (labor history for instance).

Your team member salary post is inaccurate. It assumes a 40 hour work week. Hardly any team members get 40 hrs. It's one of the things that finally pushed me out the door.
In addition, the STL and ETL hourly estimates are inaccurate. They rarely work 40 hrs a week, up to 50 or even 60 4th quarter.

On the flipside to that is on weekends (at my store at least) the ETLs work short shifts. 4 hours or so. So there is no overlap. I'd say that 60 hrs is on the very high end. 45-50 maybe in my experience.

I smell someone trying to start a union?
Why not? Not like corporate can intimidate or stop us here. They can only hide in the night and spy. It's why we remain anonymous.
you are right. maybe Target should unionize! oh and for the corporate big shots who may be reading this... you guys can kiss my tukous !

I am so fucking sick of people acting like those that do not have a decent job never tried or made bad choices.

I don't feel that way and I don't think you'll stay stuck. If you can teach yourself Java, like I did, there are more Java jobs than people. Even more so for people who know SharePoint

Java is just weird though. Decide when making a programming language whether it's interpreted or needs to be compiled, not make some sort of bastard creation that requires compilation, but results in bytecode rather than machine code.

Let's compile this, but let's compile it into something that then requires either being recompiled, or interpreted, because that makes lots of sense.

Self-taught myself C, C++, Perl, Ruby, Python, Java, JavaScript, HTML, PHP, CSS, but just abhor Java. I'm sure pointers would have made me hate C, but I earned C first so I didn't realize how much of a bitch they were like I would have if I'd learned something simpler first.

Like I said earlier Target Open Door Policy is great only if there was a change that came out of it. There is a huge and I mean HUGE discrepancy in terms of pay between a Target team member who national average is $17,735 a year and CEO of Target who's compensation is 20.6 million for 2013. The CEO made in one year what 1,162 of you (target team members) make in a year. There are so many articles out there that state how poor the pay is for a team member, how much work in terms of productivity they perform, and how retail is now one of the most common jobs in the US.

I understand that there are no special skills required to begin work as a Target team member. You do have to be friendly with a great attitude and the wiliness to work hard. However when a corporation like Target who has a net income of 3 billion a year, can't provide livable wages to their vast number of employees, where does this open door policy benefit the employees? It doesn't! Retail workers account for a vast number of citizens on government assistance, there are stories you hear daily of a family who work in retail not having a decent dinner to eat for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Does the corporation step in and provide for their hard working employee? No! Fellow workers pitch in to buy food and other necessities for that family.

Target should be an example of a great place to work! They should be leaders in retail where you hear stories of a team member making it to STL. Or how they lead in pay for their employees from all levels (bottom to top). Costco has gotten great news stories on how they value their employees and there increase in customer loyalty and membership continues to grow. Target perhaps has shown who they value at the very corporate level....the shareholders!

Here's a great video to watch on this subject of pay:

What is great business? Treating your workers right in terms of pay and benefits! This is what Target should be doing...please watch:

Last edited:
Java is just weird though. Decide when making a programming language whether it's interpreted or needs to be compiled, not make some sort of bastard creation that requires compilation, but results in bytecode rather than machine code.

Let's compile this, but let's compile it into something that then requires either being recompiled, or interpreted, because that makes lots of sense.

So what you're saying is that Java is the Target of programming languages?

So what you're saying is that Java is the Target of programming languages?
He is referring to JavaScript programming.

I smell someone trying to start a union?
Why not? Not like corporate can intimidate or stop us here. They can only hide in the night and spy. It's why we remain anonymous.
you are right. maybe Target should unionize! oh and for the corporate big shots who may be reading this... you guys can kiss my tukous !
well it is official... I am giving Target the holiday season but come January or February I am out of there! not just for the pay but because of all the disrespect it seems at times!

If Target was a programming language, it'd be PHP in my opinion.

I might have said it was fair when I was a cashier but a .50 raise to become a GSA is not a fair raise.

Yeah, moving from the joy ride that is Electronics to the front end being a GSA for no compensation whatsoever was tough.

What is more unfair is the favoritism showed to some TM's. Then when that is then showed on the review process. An STL that retired awhile back played into this well with a few of the ETLs. It was amusing towards the end when said TM ended up screwing over the whole lot of the ETL staff. It took many years for her game of being an ass kissing lazy person (Senior TL to make it worse) to backfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back