• Thread starter mxrbook
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mxrbook

A few weeks ago I attended a funeral service for a team member. He'd been a TM less than 10 years. There were approximately 10 family members/friends in attendance and 60 Target peeps. While I find it admirable that so many Target people showed, I find sad the ratio of TM/real life people. I know that he was valued at Target. Was he not valued in real life? I guess my take is that we need a life out of Target. Or my take is "Really, you'd rather go to a funeral than work?"

Yes. I am confused/sad/distraught.

Sorry for the loss!
His friends were spot mostly. I have a few friends outside of spot too. Remember the good times with that tm. Ck on his family too.

Some people, like me, don't have many family members or much for friends, really. Though I doubt very much anyone from spot would show up at my funeral (except to make sure I were really dead).

We had a woman at my store who died this summer. There were lots and lots of our store TMs there. If we had been scheduled to work, we could work and then leave for the funeral.....or we could go to the funeral and then come to work. We had LODs from other stores volunteer to come work for those of us who went to the funeral.

While there were quite a lot of TMs there, the woman who died had lots and lots of friends there.

Some TMs go to the church where the woman's funeral was and they keep us in the loop about how her family is....and will send messages to the family for us.

I don't know if your TM had been ill for awhile before he died. In our situation our TM was hospitalized and a few days later we learned that her liver and other vital organs were failing. It was only about a week between her being hospitalized and her death. For us, it was a pretty quick event.

His social life is probably a complex fruition of years of working as a livelihood. It's easy for the young to look at people who have work friends and wonder how they have no outside life. Few of us are fortunate to have a thriving social life not revolved around the friends we make at work, but for many of us our life does revolve around our work. Odd fluctuating schedules put us at odds with the majority of the work force who do 9-5 or freelance. It's not as easy as it used to be when we were in school and in college and forced to socialize (a good thing, mind you). My condolences for his passing, but I would say take heart in the fact that that many team members were touched enough by him to be there at his funeral and share in grieving and, in a sense, celebration of who he was.

I remember an elderly team member in one of my old stores that fell ill on Friday, was hospitalize on Sat and died on Monday. Our STL (best one ever) called on other stores for support help so anyone who wanted could attend her funeral. There was a sea of red and khaki. Her family, which was large, were very grateful to know that we cared so much about this wonderful woman. Another great thing was all of the regular guests(customers) that actually came to the funeral as well. At that store we were a large family. That atmosphere came directly from the STL. He always made sure to know something about each team member. We had baby showers, wedding showers, graduation parties all in the break room. We also had support circles for team members that were going through trying times with illness, family illness, life changes etc. Sadly that family atmosphere is no where to be found in the store I am currently in. I wanted to send a card, signed by all of the team members in my work area, to a guy who had surgery and would be out for at least 2 months. I was shot down because if we don't do it for all team members we can't do it for one. So I bought a card, had the team members sign it and sent it on my own. For some team members Target is their family. We need to recognize that

We had a woman at my store who died this summer. There were lots and lots of our store TMs there. If we had been scheduled to work, we could work and then leave for the funeral.....or we could go to the funeral and then come to work. We had LODs from other stores volunteer to come work for those of us who went to the funeral.

While there were quite a lot of TMs there, the woman who died had lots and lots of friends there.

Some TMs go to the church where the woman's funeral was and they keep us in the loop about how her family is....and will send messages to the family for us.

I don't know if your TM had been ill for awhile before he died. In our situation our TM was hospitalized and a few days later we learned that her liver and other vital organs were failing. It was only about a week between her being hospitalized and her death. For us, it was a pretty quick event.

His social life is probably a complex fruition of years of working as a livelihood. It's easy for the young to look at people who have work friends and wonder how they have no outside life. Few of us are fortunate to have a thriving social life not revolved around the friends we make at work, but for many of us our life does revolve around our work. Odd fluctuating schedules put us at odds with the majority of the work force who do 9-5 or freelance. It's not as easy as it used to be when we were in school and in college and forced to socialize (a good thing, mind you). My condolences for his passing, but I would say take heart in the fact that that many team members were touched enough by him to be there at his funeral and share in grieving and, in a sense, celebration of who he was.

I remember an elderly team member in one of my old stores that fell ill on Friday, was hospitalize on Sat and died on Monday. Our STL (best one ever) called on other stores for support help so anyone who wanted could attend her funeral. There was a sea of red and khaki. Her family, which was large, were very grateful to know that we cared so much about this wonderful woman. Another great thing was all of the regular guests(customers) that actually came to the funeral as well. At that store we were a large family. That atmosphere came directly from the STL. He always made sure to know something about each team member. We had baby showers, wedding showers, graduation parties all in the break room. We also had support circles for team members that were going through trying times with illness, family illness, life changes etc. Sadly that family atmosphere is no where to be found in the store I am currently in. I wanted to send a card, signed by all of the team members in my work area, to a guy who had surgery and would be out for at least 2 months. I was shot down because if we don't do it for all team members we can't do it for one. So I bought a card, had the team members sign it and sent it on my own. For some team members Target is their family. We need to recognize that

very touching:sorry:

They went to a funeral in red and khaki on?

i would go in red & k, with nametag.

mine would probably be similar. I have lots of people that I am close to at my target and other targets but I prefer to spend most of my non working hours by myself.

Wow.... that's just a little odd. Funeral in red and khaki and name tags even?

It's not odd if you come from that kind of store. We have had similar situations and have gone in uniform. I dont remember whether of not we wore nametags.

We had a TM death this year and a lot of the team members who went to the funeral wore red and khaki (including the STL). I chose not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back