Lifting After Surgery

ION the Prize

GM Pusher
I might need to have surgery, and it would mean lifting restrictions. I'm wondering how others have coped.

Have you had surgery, taken leave to recuperate, and then returned to Target? How was it for you?

... if someone else is covering your position while you're gone/under restriction you may be moved to another area once you are no longer restricted.

I'm usually an unload sorter and a CHEM pusher, and my availability on the schedule is limited. I'd like to keep it where it is.

Would I lose my schedule?

I had surgery on my hip and took as much of a leave as I could to allow myself time to heal.

I've been back for a little bit, but I still have many restrictions, including being able to sit/stand/walk as needed and similar restrictions on kneeling, bending, twisting, stairs, etc. Because I work in the front end, it's been fairly easy to accommodate, but I don't know how much of a challenge it would be on the salesfloor/backroom.

I always voice my restrictions if someone tries to get me to do something that goes against them.

You can use short term disability option on medical. Ck on targetpayandbenefits.com.
I have. You will be paid 60% of your usual pay and will have to continue to pay for any benefits that you have deducted from your paycheck. I think it is for 6 weeks and then long term kicks in if you have it. It is helpful, easily applied for, easily managed. The hardest part will be getting back on the schedule once your LOA is over, but that isn't due to the short term disability pay. Those wages are also taxable.

... I still have many restrictions, including being able to sit/stand/walk as needed and similar restrictions on kneeling, bending, twisting, stairs, etc. ...

Wow! That's a lot to manage.

Because I work in the front end, it's been fairly easy to accommodate ...

Oh, boy. Front end. I couldn't do that all day.

Last edited:
You will be paid 60% of your usual pay and will have to continue to pay for any benefits that you have deducted from your paycheck.

I wonder what the math is. When benefits and taxes are taken out, you could end up with half a regular paycheck.

The hardest part will be getting back on the schedule once your LOA is over ...

Hardest part? As in, it takes a while?

I wonder what the math is. When benefits and taxes are taken out, you could end up with half a regular paycheck.

It did for me... I honestly think that was due to our having a poor HR-ETL. They really don't know much about how LOA works... good at getting new hires on board, but not really good once you actually work in the store. I ended up making lots of phone calls, arrangements with other ETL's, etc. That should not have been on me. My paycheck was quite low as it based on average hours which, because the timing was after the annual hours purge, were low. I ended up having to take out a personal loan to pay bills.

Wow! That's a lot to manage.

Oh, boy. Front end. I couldn't do that all day.
Interestingly, I moved to the front end during my recovery/restrictions. I thought it would surely be the end of me, but I was completely wrong. It is very different from working on the floor, but much more interesting, variable, and waaay less drama and while there is stress it is not typically due to leadership. I opted to stay at the front end and I really like it and think my salesfloor experiences and knowledge make me a really good front of store tm. It also gives me a lot more options when needing to fill in hours.

It did for me... I honestly think that was due to our having a poor HR-ETL. They really don't know much about how LOA works... good at getting new hires on board, but not really good once you actually work in the store. I ended up making lots of phone calls, arrangements with other ETL's, etc. That should not have been on me.
Yes, this is 100% dependent on your HR-ETL. Mine thankfully is on the ball so I've never had an issue.

Back