Archived Logistics leaders - Suggestions for blackline process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently moved to a AAA volume store. I have been here long enough to make changes. The current blackline process is overly inefficient. The store I came from bowled the blackline out into the aisles. This store bowls into shopping carts and the the team backstocks from the carts. It is awkward to pull the case packs out of the carts and the carts are clogging up the backroom. They are resistant to change as it "has always been done that way". I need some viable alternatives to suggest to help make the process more efficient. How is the process run at your store?
Thanks.

There are pros and cons to this "culture" already in your store. Pro is you are able to maneuver more black lined boxes from a pallet, tub, 3 tier and clear one quickly. Con is as you described, the clutter as to many carts in the stockroom and possible debris left over from the shift. Some ways I have seen success with efficient backstocking collectively as a team is to have one person "stripe" the boxes and Seperate them by different fill groups. ( market, hba, plastics, etc.) Another person is taking the "ready" carts and actively backstocking in the aisles. If there are case packs, one person goes on the ladder, and the other would toss up the boxes to be placed on higher shelves in the aisles. Make sure those boxes are light in weight if you can as they will be pulled for a guest or in the future.

We are push all so our initial backstock is considerably less than yours, but we bowl our blackline into tubs. I assume you have several pallets set up for blackline, so I would have 1 TM work each pallet, labeling and reorganizing it on to a tub once it's pulled to the stockroom, and then backstocking once the tub gets full. Rinse, wash, repeat. If someone brings a cart into our backroom I tell them to GTFO.

If someone brings a cart into our backroom I tell them to GTFO.
I've been trying to do this since I started but the other TLs and ETL have only worked in this store/work center. It's just the way they have always ran the backroom. But with the hours steadily dropping, the old ways are a huge obstacle to coming clean.

We wave through it with the backroom team. 1 person pulls a pallet down, everyone peels off and sticks the pick labels and then tosses the boxes down the appropriate aisle. When the pallet is empty, they break off and start backstocking with 1 person per aisle, and someone else goes to grab the next pallet. Rinse and repeat through the two main stockrooms, then TMs break off and each take an auxiliary stockroom and receiving.

It's messier but more efficient than trying to make everything fit nicely in a cart. And if you're talking about shopping carts, get with your PMT and see if he/she is willing to play the bad guy and force you to stop using them for freight.

We do not do a push all. Line is set with pallets on front and behind. All black line goes on pallets behind the line during unload. Backroom pulls them over to light duty to backstock. We are end to end so grocery backstock stays at end of line till grocery team back stocks.

When we did push all’s in grocery we would bowl all the boxes out to the floor and any of the casepack backstock would be stiped and loaded onto a vehicle. Depending on the amount of freight, we’d send one or two people to toss it up once we filled one or two vehicles. Also since we wave through push, majority of the boxes are already sorted by fill group. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back