Archived Lost Box Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, Target doesn't use those old crappy razor ones anymore that always slipped out of the sleeve and poked holes in your pants and fingers? The kind we were using 3 years ago?

Wait, Target doesn't use those old crappy razor ones anymore that always slipped out of the sleeve and poked holes in your pants and fingers? The kind we were using 3 years ago?
Nope. A few years ago they invested in some safety cutters. It has a tape splitter so you don't have to use the blade to open boxes and potentially damage the product (everyone still opens the blade though). Some stores gave them to TMs and some made TMs sign them out and in each day.

66929_1000.jpg

Hallelujah and praise the Lord. Although that thing looks huge; I might stick to my ballpoint pen or old key, lol.

Nope. I was told they're an OSHA violation by my GSTL. Funny thing, though, my husband works overnight stock at a regional grocery chain and they still use those. I've got about a half dozen in my car.

My log team members lost box cutters all the time, and while it was annoying for me to constantly be reordering them, I never made a big deal out of it. If your store freaks out over a box cutter, they probably have much bigger issues because that’s silly.

Honestly my only concern with a few random box cutters getting lost during truck is some kid picking up one off the sales floor and cutting themselves, but that’s improbable. Big fan of survival of the fittest, but not when I’m LOD and have to respond to the code green. ;-)

Anybody remember the old Target branded ones? Like the straight silver ones (that I greatly preferred), but with the Target logo. I had a ton of those in my tool box for years after I left Target the first time. Now that I’m back, of course I can’t find them any more.

We had the green ones when they first came in and they were handed out. Now it looks like they went back to buying the old ones only now instead of being all silver they have a white wrap around piece.

Nope. I was told they're an OSHA violation by my GSTL. Funny thing, though, my husband works overnight stock at a regional grocery chain and they still use those. I've got about a half dozen in my car.

My store still uses those. I have fairly large hands so I was always dropping them and coming close to cutting myself. Invested in my own box cutter two years ago and never looked back.

Nope. A few years ago they invested in some safety cutters. It has a tape splitter so you don't have to use the blade to open boxes and potentially damage the product (everyone still opens the blade though). Some stores gave them to TMs and some made TMs sign them out and in each day.

66929_1000.jpg
What part is the tape splitter?
On the side of the black holster are two little "grooves" to hold something...any idea what goes there?

The silver part cuts the tape. The grooves on the holder is a blade dispenser. Also, on holder above the grooves, has a safety feature to retract the blade when in the holder.

Gotta say, love these new box cutters. I rarely get the blade out; the tape cutter part is usually good enough for me. When I do get the blade out, I definitely feel a lot safer and secure than I did with the old silver ones. I know not everyone at my store likes to use the new ones because of the size (I still see plenty of people with the silver ones) but it's lightweight enough and I don't mind carrying it in the holder. Win for Target!

Tomorrow I work the truck so I'll use the silver part for the tape.
As for the blade dispenser are we able to get a spare blade to put there?
I have my own box cutter. My Dad bought it for me a few years ago. It has an orange handle to indicate that it is a left handed box cutter!

We have like half a bucket (20?) of the green ones, about a bucket of the red ones, and like two buckets of ones with no blade that no one has bothered to add more to... when I get there at 7 they're like all gone except a few red ones that barely even go up and down anymore.

It takes forever to get here from China, but this is almost as good as my car key.

My box cutter itself has a special little part to open to put extra blades in. So there might be another explanation with those little grooves.

My store *used* to give out box cutters like candy but our new STL has been cracking down on this because they cost 5.00 each, and losing too many of them starts to add up - 5.00 × 100 = 500 bucks - so he handed out designated ones to each one of us with our names on them and a bin to drop them in at the end of our shifts. I have a whole bunch of them laying around at home (same kind Target uses) that I collected from my last job so I usually don't bother with keeping track of my "official" one.

And yes you can get in trouble for not using the green ones, I know a TM who got written up for using a big ass fixed-blade Buck knife to open boxes with lol

My store *used* to give out box cutters like candy but our new STL has been cracking down on this because they cost 5.00 each, and losing too many of them starts to add up - 5.00 × 100 = 500 bucks - so he handed out designated ones to each one of us with our names on them and a bin to drop them in at the end of our shifts. I have a whole bunch of them laying around at home (same kind Target uses) that I collected from my last job so I usually don't bother with keeping track of my "official" one.

And yes you can get in trouble for not using the green ones, I know a TM who got written up for using a big ass fixed-blade Buck knife to open boxes with lol

That's funny because my ETL-GE uses a full on razor blade lmao and a TM jokingly called him out on it and the LOD working that day was like "Shh... only ETL's can use it" and we all laughed but were secretly dying inside.

What’s more stressful for y’all?? Misplacing a box cutter or the MyDevice? Working backroom I misplaced twice a bunch of times already lol. I need to get in the habit of putting the box cutter in my pocket or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back