Archived Low Volume to High Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

PugMuffin

Ex Captain of the Electronics Boat
Hey, so at the end of this year, I will be transferring from my current C volume GM store to a AA volume super in a different state. I've never worked at a high volume store before, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Can anyone who has worked both low and high volume stores or someone who works at a super at the moment give me some insight on what I should expect? Is there even that much of a difference? I'm quite curious.

You will see more payroll being spent for sure, but it is all relative. The overall hours get tied up in Food, so the GM payroll does not really increase in relation very well. The team is large, but the workcenters in GM will only be slightly better staffed that your current store. There are many more TLs so lots of payroll is also wrapped up in their 40 hours (3-4 HLTLs still, so 120-160 of the hours in that workcenter go to them). You will also have quite a few ETLs (if the Food volume is high enough probably 2-4 in Food alone). They will be an O/N process for logistics, which doesn't necessarily mean they are coming clean :)

Basically if the store cut hours you will usually see 1 hl tm and 1 sl tm plus market tm and fro also a electronics tm close the store with maybe two cashiers but really just one and gstl and lod it really sucks sometimes also your store might have a high turnover rate and like everyone said is very fast pace

I did support help at a pfresh store before and i was bored as hell how slow and how easy it was to do everything that why i dont understand the complaints from tm working in ulv stores or low volume stores except P.A.s they really work them to death

I have worked at 6 stores over 11 years, AAA to D(ULV)

If you are a TM, the low volume store will be a cakewalk for you.

If you are a PA, TL, or process TM (Plano, Pricing, Backroom), it will suck. A lot.

Low volume stores tend to have far, far less payroll than higher volume stores. The problem with this is, a truck is a truck, and workload is workload. All stores generally speaking have similar workload for process teams, but low volume stores just have far less hours to utilize when doing it.

Occaisonally you can get lucky and have an STL who knows what they are doing, in which case, working at low volume is awesome.

Edit: I read your post backwards. Everything I said up there in reverse.

i dont understand the complaints from tm working in ulv stores or low volume stores

Scenario: I hit the backup cashiers button.. The FRO can't respond because she's on her break. The electronics TM obviously can't leave electronics. The GSA is already closing the lanes and can't leave the cash cart. This leaves ONE TM to backup: the HLTM. A few minutes pass, and then we need another cashier. The LOD jumps on. Now we have NO ONE to respond in the entire store.

This is why we complain. The store looks like shit in the morning? That's because EVERYONE was cashing all night. This problem probably isn't exclusive to ULV stores but it still fucking sucks.

LV PA? try being HV...

A High Volume store means your market section is busy.. pretty much...

My store is AA volume but we regularly pull in $68 Million, which means we are at the cusp of having "enough help"

I started out at a C-volume GM (later remodeled to PFresh) and have since moved to an A-volume Super. The differences you see will depend on your workcenter. As a GSA, a big challenge for me was changing how I speedweave. At a smaller store with double-stacked lanes, it's easier to see all the cashiers at once and know which lines are shortest. Tougher to do in a Super; sometimes it will back up on one side of the checklanes, while your cashiers on the other side have empty lines. Basket size is another big difference. 1+1 in a GM looks a lot different from 1+1 in a Super. With Supers, you've got a ton of guests who do some serious grocery shopping, which usually takes longer to ring out than general merchandise (entering produce codes, weighing items, bagging cold with cold, meats separate, etc). Full carts of groceries can send the checklanes to a screaching halt.

Not sure what AAs alot regarding TL and ETL count, but here's what we currently have:
15 total TLs (we are 1 over headcount): 2 Hardlines TLs (including 1 Sr), 2.5 Softlines TLs (2 full time and a third who splits her time between Softlines and Pricing), 2 GSTLs, 1 Consumables TL, 1 POG TL, 1 Flow TL, 1 Backroom/Instocks TL, 1 Food Ave TL, 1 Starbucks TL, 1 Deli TL, 1 Perishables TL

8 ETLs (including STL and Rx): STL, ETL-HR, ETL-Log, ETL-Salesfloor, ETL-Food, ETL-GE, ETL-AP, ETL-Rx

If you stay in Electronics though, I doubt you will see a huge difference besides store layout and some longer aisles.

Weighing items? That's a thing? I wasn't aware any Targets sold items by the pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back