Service & Engagement Loyalty Captain?

I hope this is the right place for this!

I've never heard the captain terms at work before, but after expressing interest in my workplace development, my team lead brought up being a captain. I have an idea of what it means, what the requirements are, but now it's up to me to try and find ways to motivate my peers to work on redcard and target circle goals.

What kind of incentives would help you if you were tasked with redcards? Thoughts on ways to make it casual and fun rather than like it's just another "job requirement"?

Any advice that you might be able to offer? Thanks!

This a great opportunity to show you may be someone with leadership potential. Own the metrics involving the RedCards. Make sure everyone is asking every guest, and come up with a game or some type of insentive to get the guest advocates motivated to meet both their personal goal and the store goal.

Mixed feelings on the "captain" thing. I like authority to be delineated, not wavy-gravy. And the "more work for no pay" thing is something people might later regret signing up for. If it doesn't work out, it's hard to take away authority from people, however slight, and keep them happy. On the other hand, if you have a hardworking person who plans to stick around and wants to promote, and who draws motivation from responsibility, it can be a great fit.

As someone who has been a captain for fulfillment and given that "authority", it just depends on the person. Some people show up to work and do what they are supposed to do and be done while others want to do more. From my experience, you are getting paid the same but you benefit from preferred hours, you get days off when you request them, and it helps to have some experience if you want to be a team lead someday and as long as your ETL is reasonable. It helps to essentially be in that role previously since a lot of the interview questions stem from you doing something and how did the team respond and others may not have that experience which benefits you in the long run. Hell, half of the time they refer to fulfillment as "my team" and trust that someone can run it without having to watch it themselves as they are busy with other things. Our front end still has what is basically a gsa even though that position is gone, and they are trusted to run the front while the SETL is on break or is doing something else. It all comes down to do you want to have that kind of responsibility for the same pay, but make sure that you don't get stuck not being promoted like some here have gone through.

Back