Archived Making the cut !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What it is y'all,
Frosty was wondering how a seasonal worker would make the cut when the chopping block is pulled out in january. I like the people at my store and the VIBE is good on all sides of the house. Any input would be awesome. I would also like to thank everyone on this forum for their support so far.

Be on time
Come in early when called
Stay later when asked
Mind your hours so you don't cause headaches for your leaders
Keep a change of red & khaki in your car & your cell on if you're looking to pick up hours/shifts
If they call you & you're unable to work, thank them for thinking of you but respectfully decline
Ignore gossip & politics whenever possible (if anyone talks trash about another TM to you, simply say "Wow, what a shame")
Take any offer to cross-train; being global is survival
Work hard & be the one that everyone wants on their team

Basically if you're worthwhile you will usually be kept on. That means having basic work skills like the ones @redeye58 listed.

Most of the people who don't get kept on are lazy or cause problems. Keep in mind that getting kept on is a privilege, and you better be prepared to kick ass for it. If you show up every day on time ready to kick ass, you will be ahead of the majority who just show up and do the bare minimum (and ironically still expect something).

Every temporary/seasonal job that I've had (with the exception of 1 job back in High School), I've been asked to stay on, and that's how I landed my current $40k+ a year job.

My store is having so much trouble hiring regular positions, let alone seasonal. At this rate everyone we hire will be kept on.

This thread gives me a little more hope. I was offered the job Tuesday as a seasonal worker [from what I heard I'll be working on either hardlines or softlines] and am incredibly nervous. My first job was through a temp agency, and even though I worked really hard and was talked up by the floor managers and supervisors, I was one of the first wave to get their "Bye, Felicia" letter. I both want and need a consistent job. I'm a really hard worker and take my job seriously, but I've been worried that this is yet another time when all that wouldn't matter....glad to see that it won't be the case!

Be sure to tell your leaders that you are definitely interested in staying on after the holidays and that you are willing to cross train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back