Archived Mandatory Volunteer Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reshop Ninja

Softlines Dps
For the last few nights we've gotten done with everything not long after the store closes. The touch ups are done and all of the reshop has been put away, including what's at Guest Services. Instead of letting us leave and save on pay roll we're being forced to do volunteer projects. We're being told before the store closes that we can't leave unless we participate. Several of us have been working on the project during our breaks when we're supposed to and we're still being made to stay late. I'm worried about how much of a slippery slope this could become when volunteer work is no longer completely voluntary.

For the last few nights we've gotten done with everything not long after the store closes. The touch ups are done and all of the reshop has been put away, including what's at Guest Services. Instead of letting us leave and save on pay roll we're being forced to do volunteer projects. We're being told before the store closes that we can't leave unless we participate. Several of us have been working on the project during our breaks when we're supposed to and we're still being made to stay late.

I'm sorry but mandatory and volunteer are mutually exclusive.
WTF are these projects?
I smell a call to the labor board.
They can't force you to do work on anything you aren't getting paid for.
Fuck that.

If I recall correctly the handbook says they can't make you stay past your shift.

Granted you might get petty retribution if you cite this.

I'm sorry but mandatory and volunteer are mutually exclusive.
WTF are these projects?
I smell a call to the labor board.
They can't force you to do work on anything you aren't getting paid for.
Fuck I can't go into too much detail without giving myself away. All I can say is it involves arts and craft sand that I haven't seen anyone logging volunteer hours when we're being forced to make stuff. We are on the clock when we're doing this crap but we're only supposed to do this when we're on break or at lunch.

If I recall correctly the handbook says they can't make you stay past your shift.

Granted you might get petty retribution if you cite this.
They're actually making us leave at around the time our shifts are supposed to end. It's just that we've gotten everything else done five or ten minutes after the store closes.

Last edited:
So you are still on the clock and not past your schedule?

Besides the part where you said working during your breaks, I don't see the problem here.

One can always find something that needs to be done @ Spot.

Wait....they can't make you do anything during your lunch and breaks. Sure, they can put stuff out if they want and say, "hey, if you want to do this, go for it." But they can't require you to do a darn thing. Now, if they are promising this project to some group, and it isn't getting done, either the etls need to do it, or then they can have you all do it and pay you to do it on their time.

But if your only complaint is that they won't let you leave early, then you may have a harder time with that.

Document everything! Working through breaks is a big no-no. If this event keeps on happening after a week & you are not on the clock or working through breaks, you need to talk to your hr, without delay.

For the last few nights we've gotten done with everything not long after the store closes. The touch ups are done and all of the reshop has been put away, including what's at Guest Services. Instead of letting us leave and save on pay roll we're being forced to do volunteer projects. We're being told before the store closes that we can't leave unless we participate. Several of us have been working on the project during our breaks when we're supposed to and we're still being made to stay late. I'm worried about how much of a slippery slope this could become when volunteer work is no longer completely voluntary.
Fuck Target! They can kiss my ass I would report to Department of Labor before I would slave for scam retail store for free labor!

I'm not sure it's as bad as some people want to make it. From Reshop Ninja's explanation, it seems that people are voluntarily working on (FFF arts & crafts?) things during their break on the chance they will be let go early at night. However they aren't being let go early, so Reshop Ninja is upset because they are having to work out their scheduled shift. Reshop Ninja commented on wanting to save payroll, but unless they are the LOD, that's not their responsibility. Let the LOD worry about cutting payroll.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding? But I can tell you, if you're scheduled until a certain time, they have every right to keep you until then. You are getting paid after all.

On the clock and not past schedule means they can ask you to do any task required of TMs. Don't like it? Unionize. Then you can only do one job - if that job is done then you are done. Downside is you'll probably get less hours.

Reship Ninja, pm me to tell me what store you are at. There is something going on at my store as well regarding "volunteer projects." Specifically, ETLs are telling us to clock out and then stay for an hour to work on other things in the store.

@Wyvern - "volunteer" projects on the clock are acceptable because it's not volunteer, it's getting paid to do something. Now off the clock work is "volunteer" however if it's to benefit the store for financial gain then it's illegal. But again, it's volunteer and you can not be forced to work off the clock.

Please document, get witnesses and report this!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back