COVID-19 Masks and gloves

Today, one of the ETLs implied that we are to use one mask for more than one day. We gotta make those suckers last!!
Nope. I threw mine away at the end of my shift. My hands were all over it for the 2 hours I was forced to wear it. It's suffocating, and I had a headache. They truly are pointless for us to be required to wear. There has to be others who could use them for actual benefit, donate the damn things.

They're terrible. I never touch my face (I'm a freak about making sure I don't even when this Coronavirus wasn't happening) and yesterday when I had that mask on I touched my face constantly to adjust the HUGE mask, or when it broke, or because when I was stocking shelves it kept shifting to the underside of my eyes (!!!!). Could I shop with a mask on? Absolutely. Can I work safely and productively with the mask on? NOPE. Also it's next to impossible to breathe. All the mandatory mask thing is going to do (for us and also for people shopping) is introduce the virus into our systems more.

My only hope is, since the gov. changes things every time we turn around, is that next week masks will be back to optional and not be enforced.

Are masks required or optional at your store? A couple days ago when we first go them in for tm I was told they were highly recommended, but not required & we could wear a cloth mask or other mask from our personal supply if we preferred. Today I was told by a different to they are required. I usually work in the backroom then go clean. I had one clean cloth masks & prefer to put a clean one on after I eat, so I was going to wait to wear it afterwards.

Our mask supply is kept in a locked office so you have to wait for a particular etl or tl get there. While I appreciate Target's attempt at protection tm wearing flimsy paper masks does more to protect guests than tms.

Someone told me you just have to force yourself to not touch the mask. it may be a bit uncomfortable, bc you're not used to it, but if you keep readjusting it, you never get used to it. Kinda like a mosquito bite, the more you scratch the worse it gets.

If you have trouble breathing through the mask (and don't have a condition that normally makes breathing hard) you need a new mask-- it shouldn't be hard to breathe through for those with "normal" breathing

It is required in my county for everyone in public to be wearing a mask, customers included. You could be fined up to $1000 if a police officer sees you shopping or working without a mask on. We have signs on the front door saying you need to have a face covering to enter the store. However, we are not allowed to enforce it at all. We have tons of people waltzing in with no masks. If I see someone without one and I remind them masks are mandatory, I either get told to fuck off or ignored completely. And then the guests that are wearing masks ask why we are letting people shop that don’t have masks on. Such a mess

It is required in my county for everyone in public to be wearing a mask, customers included. You could be fined up to $1000 if a police officer sees you shopping or working without a mask on. We have signs on the front door saying you need to have a face covering to enter the store. However, we are not allowed to enforce it at all. We have tons of people waltzing in with no masks. If I see someone without one and I remind them masks are mandatory, I either get told to fuck off or ignored completely. And then the guests that are wearing masks ask why we are letting people shop that don’t have masks on. Such a mess
Can you not say something like "By local ordinance, you must wear a mask to enter the store, otherwise you can't shop" and then call AP since they are technically violating local law? or is that too far

Are masks required or optional at your store? A couple days ago when we first go them in for tm I was told they were highly recommended, but not required & we could wear a cloth mask or other mask from our personal supply if we preferred. Today I was told by a different to they are required. I usually work in the backroom then go clean. I had one clean cloth masks & prefer to put a clean one on after I eat, so I was going to wait to wear it afterwards.

Our mask supply is kept in a locked office so you have to wait for a particular etl or tl get there. While I appreciate Target's attempt at protection tm wearing flimsy paper masks does more to protect guests than tms.

masks are required for all team members chainwide now. one mask before your lunch break, a separate mask for after your lunch break

Can you not say something like "By local ordinance, you must wear a mask to enter the store, otherwise you can't shop" and then call AP since they are technically violating local law? or is that too far

Why would you do either of those? It’s not the job of any Target employee to enforce compliance. If the city/county/state has made it a mandate, then they should send the cops of enforcement to each store. Personal responsibility is key.

Your concerns are pretty serious. Our store does have gloves, and I'm really surprised yours apparently has none. If you do contact mass media and social media outlets, which is certainly a way to get the word out, I'd be reluctant to mention it here at TBR because this TBR is a public web site (not membership-restricted for viewing). There are a few Corporate spies "social media monitors" who read these posts, and if your particular store happens to be on the receiving end of bad COVID-19 publicity they might be able to "out" you. It might not end well.

As for the so-called Integrity Hotline, it "might" work except that it's very likely you will face retaliation from your own store (these "anonymous" complaints seem to become de-anonymized) and the retaliation won't be pretty. As for calling the CEO's office, there's a risk they'll just transfer you to the Integrity Hotline, though there is a very slim chance you could speak to the right staff member who might be empowered to look into the matter correctly and completely respecting your privacy. In all of this, there's a very high risk of severe retaliation against you in a form which would be extremely degrading. Probably your best bet is keep reaching out to external media, but just don't tell us about it?

target cannot retaliate against you for reporting something and if they retaliate against you then you have legal rights agains tgt ( former tgt employee here)

Why would you do either of those? It’s not the job of any Target employee to enforce compliance. If the city/county/state has made it a mandate, then they should send the cops of enforcement to each store. Personal responsibility is key.
It’s not my job to enforce compliance, but it is part of all our core roles to create a safe environment for guests. If I witness a murder, should I not call AP because it’s not my job to enforce that law? “If police wanted to prevent murders, they’d send officers to every store”

I am in no way saying not wearing a mask is the same level as murder, but by not wearing one, you could be putting others at risk for serious illness/death.

That is a huge stretch equating murder and a guest not wearing a mask. Also where does it say my core role as a GSTM is to create a *safe*environment?

So there is less chance they will infect you or your coworkers if they are sick?
Just a thought.

That is EXACTLY the point. Wearing a mask helps to keep your germs to yourself.

masks are required for all team members chainwide now. one mask before your lunch break, a separate mask for after your lunch break
First I don't live in a mask/face covering municipality- city/state. Interesting, neither TL can say anything definite if they are or are not. First one says no they aren't, 2nd tl says I'm not sure if it's required, but SD wants you to. Also annoying since masks are stored in specific office when I get to work no one has access to those masks until hours later so for the first few hours of my shift I have to decide if I want to wear no mask, save old paper mask, or bring cloth mask to wear. I work in the backroom so I'm not in close proximity to guests for the first few hours, or hardly any tm. Then I have to interrupt my work & go find specific person sometime during my shift and stand around waiting until someone finds key to office.
That is EXACTLY the point. Wearing a mask helps to keep your germs to yourself.
I know that's the point of masks. It shows Target cares more about guests than team members. I also think that by saying "wear a mask so you don't get tm/guests sick" encourages tm who shouldn't be at work period to come and slap on a mask. On some level it isn't right- I am encouraged to wear a mask to keep my germs from getting to the guest who isn't wearing a face covering, is coughing & not covering his cough, and telling person on phone he's been feeling bad for days.

The problem with these mask is they are insufficient for most team members. They are designed for finite use and have a specific fit to a person s face. So if you're not trained on fitting, they are useless. Facial hair, makeup, and/or any other facial surface obstruction creates a venturi around the location which creates a vacuum to outside contaminates.

The other problem is the filtration drop when other environmental factors are present. The moisture released from your breathe rapidly deteriorates the masks efficiency. It also leads to premature failure.

In all honestly, I really don't think they filter down to a level of microns to prevent the virus from entering (parts per million/parts per billion). You'll stop some from entering/exiting. But most likely statistically insignificant to prevent any cross contamination.

Too many opposing views and statistical information found on theses mask and their limits. If they were serious, you would be issued a respirator with some form a valve and filter combination along with a professional to assist with fitting the mask to you face. Then you would have to demonstrate that you know how to put it on and take it off.

These are just feal better about yourself.

The best thing to do, is always be aware of everyone around you and what's going on. Most important wash your hands with soap and water and keep your fingers out of you nose and eyes.

First I don't live in a mask/face covering municipality- city/state. Interesting, neither TL can say anything definite if they are or are not. First one says no they aren't, 2nd tl says I'm not sure if it's required, but SD wants you to. Also annoying since masks are stored in specific office when I get to work no one has access to those masks until hours later so for the first few hours of my shift I have to decide if I want to wear no mask, save old paper mask, or bring cloth mask to wear. I work in the backroom so I'm not in close proximity to guests for the first few hours, or hardly any tm. Then I have to interrupt my work & go find specific person sometime during my shift and stand around waiting until someone finds key to office.

I know that's the point of masks. It shows Target cares more about guests than team members. I also think that by saying "wear a mask so you don't get tm/guests sick" encourages tm who shouldn't be at work period to come and slap on a mask. On some level it isn't right- I am encouraged to wear a mask to keep my germs from getting to the guest who isn't wearing a face covering, is coughing & not covering his cough, and telling person on phone he's been feeling bad for days.
To all Team Members and Guests:
EVERYONE should be wearing masks
EVERYONE should be practicing physical distancing
EVERYONE should STAY HOME if they are exhibiting any symptoms of being sick
EVERYONE should be respectful and courteous to their fellow man

IT'S NOT THAT HARD PEOPLE

So if Target wants to add another job to the “cleaning” shifts, then they can schedule someone to monitor guests wearing face masks but I am not going to shame anyone for not wearing a mask regardless of what the mandates are. I don’t think that would be considered guest-friendly behavior.

My store was against wearing masks for a long time. They told us that it made us look like we were sick. Now that it's become mandatory to wear masks, my team members are struggling to find some, so some literally took scissors, cut up clothes they don't wear anymore and use them as masks lol. Target still doesn't care about protecting the workers. They're just asking us to wear them now because they'll get DP'd from lawsuits if they don't allow us to wear them.

The problem with all of this is no one knows how to use these "safety" items correctly. The results will be the opposite of what is sought. You can Google all of the stats on that topic.

Once again the desired results will not be achieved due to the equipment specs and the use of.

Carelessness and the feeling of invincibility/confidence often derail the desired outcome.

This is why you cannot find any statistical data in regards to a preventative outcome. Only opinions as to the effectiveness in use in such a manner.

These are at best, a very, very short term protective device. They do not protect for a any reasonable length of time. They were never designed for prolonged use. Frequent changes are required for any type of results.

This why it should be an option to be used. You can strongly suggest at best due to our present environment, but to promote it beyond it's capabilities could result in some serious civil/criminal liabilities.

you are required to wear a mask as of yesterday. period. that is the rule now.

masks should also not be locked in an office. you should get one when you clock in, wear that one for the day, and then replace it after your lunch.

that is the policy. period. go print it off workbench and show it to your leads if they are not following it

Back