Archived Maternity leave questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandie89

ElectronicsTM
Okay, so I'm having a baby soon. What is the process I need to go through? I know when my last day will be, and I know there's someone through Target that I have to call (if someone could please provide that number because I can't log on to eHR for the life of me from home), but what is the full process to make sure I get my time off? Who do I call about short term disability?

From my understanding, you qualify for either FMLA or short term disability (can't remember which one) if you have been with Target for over a year and have worked more than 1200 hours. I've been with Target for almost three years and I am pretty sure I've passed the 1200 hour mark. I also know that I would need to use up my vacation/sick time. I just don't know how to go about starting the process. In what order does it go? Is it short term disability, vacation time/sick time, then FMLA? Would I also qualify for paid two weeks parental leave or no?

Oh, I started as part time, averaging about 37 hours a week but changed my availability at the beginning of the year and now average about 23, give or take a couple, I work nights and weekends. I don't see HR much to get the process started, so that's why I'm asking here.

Try to targetpayandbenefits.com. There is a section on there that tells you step by step what to do for maternity. You will get paid 100% of what your average hours are when you are on short term disability. I can't remember which it uses first though out of it and vacation. You will not get the 2 weeks parental leave on top of that. That is for people that are the non delivery parent and/or adoptions and what not. That's all I can think of. I'll be taking maternity leave myself but not until fall. Congratulations!

Is it 100%? I've seen different things about how much pay you get. One of our TLs came back from maternity leave and she said she got 75% because she's a TL. Other people said it was 60%.

Leave of absence contact info:

What to do/Contacts

The first step in the leave process is for the team member to contact their HR partner or leader. Team members may be asked to call the Target Leave and Disability team directly at 800-828-5850, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.
The Target Leave and Disability team handles most leave and disability administration processes for team members.
The fax number is 847-554-1660. Please include your claim number (if known) or team member ID number on your fax.

Is it 100%? I've seen different things about how much pay you get. One of our TLs came back from maternity leave and she said she got 75% because she's a TL. Other people said it was 60%.
Changed in April to 100%. It was in with the benefits information when you signed up for insurance for the new year.

Oh, okay. Another question, if you don't have insurance with Target, do you still qualify for short term disability through Target or no?

Congrats! I just came back from maternity leave, though mine was under the old benefits. I was able to take the extra two weeks of parent bonding time but I don't know if that's changed with the new benefit system

Be warned though, Reed group (who Target uses for benefits) was a little bit of a nightmare. They sent me letters with different return to work dates despite me stating my return date when I went on leave. They also call you a lot asking when you are planning on returning to work.

If you're able, join the maternity support program. You get a nurse that calls you each trimester to answer any questions you didn't have a chance to ask your doctor and they can send you resources for different things. You also get a welcome box and once you complete the program you get a $50 gift card about 6 weeks after your due date. You have to join by a certain week though.

I did hear about getting the calls from the TL who recently came back from leave haha. I have a general idea as to when I plan on coming back, but plans unexpectedly change,

Also, am I supposed to call Benefits 30 days before I plan on going on leave or 30 days before my due date? I see it’s 30 days before due date but I’ve heard different things. And what if I go into labour before my leave? Do they just move it up in the system?

I called and let them know my due date about 30 days beforehand and called them back when my doctor put me on leave to start my short term disability.

Once I had my baby I called them again to start my actual maternity leave and to update what kind of delivery I had. They called me a few times to ask what kind of delivery I had.

Edit: not sure about going into labor before your leave starts but hopefully you'll already be on some kind if short term disability! When I first got pregnant I was determined to work right until I was in labor but those last two weeks are so rough that it is worth it to give yourself a break (in my opinion at least).

Last edited:
I called and let them know my due date about 30 days beforehand and called them back when my doctor put me on leave to start my short term disability.

Once I had my baby I called them again to start my actual maternity leave and to update what kind of delivery I had. They called me a few times to ask what kind of delivery I had.

Edit: not sure about going into labor before your leave starts but hopefully you'll already be on some kind if short term disability! When I first got pregnant I was determined to work right until I was in labor but those last two weeks are so rough that it is worth it to give yourself a break (in my opinion at least).
I'm fairly certain I won't make it to my due date, I just have this inkling that I'll have the baby a couple of weeks before, so Im going to need to move up my leave date.

I wouldn't move up your leave date from when you are due. Unless you are beyond being reasonably comfortable working, I would plan on working until maybe the week before you are due. If baby comes early you can call and they will move up the leave start time.

I always disliked the idea of using up my leave time before the baby was even here. The time after baby arrives can be chaotic and having as much time as possible to bond & learn about your baby will be so helpful, especially if it is your first baby.

With my first baby, I went into labor on what was supposed to be my last day of work. With my second, I was more uncomfortable & very dilated, so I started my leave the week before I was due.

But AMANTS (all mamas are not the same). Go with your instinct, mama, it will rarely steer you wrong.

I definitely don’t want to work up until I have the baby, that’s for sure. I have to call the benefits people back here in a couple of days to set it up and that’s when they told me to call(30 days before) but I don’t want to be scheduled after the 16th. They’ll be making the schedule for that week (10-16) this week, but I just can’t get a straight answer from HR or the ETL who makes my schedule. Scheduling at my store is kind of a joke. I don’t even mind not being paid for the week or whatever it will be before the birth, I just want the time off to relax before the baby actually is born and putting in the vacation time doesn’t work half the time because the person who makes my schedule doesn’t even look at requests half the time, even if you remind them.

I definitely don’t want to work up until I have the baby, that’s for sure. I have to call the benefits people back here in a couple of days to set it up and that’s when they told me to call(30 days before) but I don’t want to be scheduled after the 16th. They’ll be making the schedule for that week (10-16) this week, but I just can’t get a straight answer from HR or the ETL who makes my schedule. Scheduling at my store is kind of a joke. I don’t even mind not being paid for the week or whatever it will be before the birth, I just want the time off to relax before the baby actually is born and putting in the vacation time doesn’t work half the time because the person who makes my schedule doesn’t even look at requests half the time, even if you remind them.

Just remember you only get 12 weeks for FMLA so factor that in if you decide to leave way before your dude date. You might deliver early or late. The late could screw you over if you go 2 weeks past your due date if you decide on 8 weeks because you would have to be back before your baby is 8 weeks and most OBYGns won't let you go back until 8 weeks in flu season or if you had a C section. Plus factor your financial situation. I couldn't afford to be at home 8 weeks with my son and my doctor specifically said 8 weeks. I ended up on food stamps and had to sell my car to pay our rent. Don't recommend that to anyone unless you have a support system.

Just remember you only get 12 weeks for FMLA so factor that in if you decide to leave way before your dude date. You might deliver early or late. The late could screw you over if you go 2 weeks past your due date if you decide on 8 weeks because you would have to be back before your baby is 8 weeks and most OBYGns won't let you go back until 8 weeks in flu season or if you had a C section. Plus factor your financial situation. I couldn't afford to be at home 8 weeks with my son and my doctor specifically said 8 weeks. I ended up on food stamps and had to sell my car to pay our rent. Don't recommend that to anyone unless you have a support system.
What the lady said is that I get 6 weeks of short term disability + 2 weeks parental leave (she could have been wrong about that, but I'll check again) + whatever I have in my vacation/ph. That would be about 11 weeks, but HR did tell me if I needed to take a couple of weeks more, that was possible.

What the lady said is that I get 6 weeks of short term disability + 2 weeks parental leave (she could have been wrong about that, but I'll check again) + whatever I have in my vacation/ph. That would be about 11 weeks, but HR did tell me if I needed to take a couple of weeks more, that was possible.

Most likely unpaid

Most likely unpaid

Yup, anything after those 11 weeks would be unpaid. I believe it is possible to take up to 16 weeks total off for maternity leave:
6-8 weeks short term disability depending on delivery method
12 weeks total for FMLA (which runs concurrent with short term disability)
2 weeks parental leave

Can't remember what they called the remaining couple weeks.....maybe something like bonding time? I just remember being told I could stay out 16 weeks total if I wanted. I ended up taking 13 weeks.

Ah, okay. Yeah, like I said, even if I don’t get paid for the two weeks, I’m lucky that it’s not going to really affect us financially, I just wanted to be sure it was something I could do.

Question: the 12 week's total are paid? 60% of what ur making right?
When I was looking over benefits it said it went to 100% this year. 8 weeks for vaginal birth and 12 for a c section.

I'm due in October with my first born. I plan on taking the full 16 if that option is available to me. I average full time hours and have been there almost 11 years, so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to.

I'm due in October with my first born. I plan on taking the full 16 if that option is available to me. I average full time hours and have been there almost 11 years, so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to.

Wow I'll be 11yrs too in Nov! I'm having the baby in 1st week of dec but planning to take short term disability in the 1st week of October. Planning to return 1st week of January and hoping to get 8 weeks paid out of the 3 months from not working.

When I was looking over benefits it said it went to 100% this year. 8 weeks for vaginal birth and 12 for a c section.
Thanks for the reply 100% is even better! But is that after the birth though? Or the day u file for short term?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back