Archived Maternity Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I have a question because it's starting to bug me. This isn't happening to me but is happening to a friend. She recently when on maternity leave because her baby is due any minute now. But apparently they denied her leave and want her back literally a week after she gives birth. Now, I'm not quit familiar with the policy on maternity Target has or my state for that matter, but this seems so wrong????

I don't think it's Target, but the store we both work at wants her back literally a week after the birth. Does this sound right??? Anyone on here that has had children and were expected to return back so soon??? Or anyone that knows of the policy??

That does not sound right. Your friend needs to contact hr etl & remind them that it she should covered by FLMA, the family leave thing. Also, use the short term disability option to get paid while they are out.

She should be covered under FMLA for 12 weeks of unpaid leave if needed.
U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Leave Benefits - FMLA

If she just put in a LOA , then they can do that.

Good info.

Your friend has to have worked over 1,250 hrs. over the past year. Meaning she has to have averaged over 24 hrs./week.

I ran into this roadblock earlier this year.

She needs to call the outside company that handles this for Target, sorry, forgot their name. She can get the number from HR. Probably is available from eHR too.

She also needs to have been there for a year. If your friend is an ETL, she may not be eligible.

Even if your friend isn't eligible, it's still a jerk move.

It's a federal law for FMLA leave. It's protected and as long as she has been there a year she will qualify for it.

FMLA leave will not kick in until the labor process starts. If she is not feeling well, then that's a medical leave and it varies by each state.

If she has not been there for a year, then she won't qualify for FMLA. She would qualify for the state minimum.

She's been there for two years, so I'm sure she qualifies. She went on maternity leave like maybe a week or two ago. She's due in October but they want her back the following week. I'm gonna send her all of this information. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back