I'm Lost! Medical Issues & Time Off

Hello,

I’m fairly new at my job, (I’ve been working at target since February) and I really love it there. But I have Colitis and I get such bad flare ups and have to call out. I’ve already called out 4 days I think, but they’ve all been because of my condition. Of course with everything going on in the world and me moving out in my own I haven’t been able to go to the doctor. I just was wondering if I could get fired for calling out too many times when I’m getting checked for my 90 day probation period ending. I don’t want to lose my job but I can’t help when my Colitis flares up. It’s painful and embarrassing to have to keep going to and from the bathroom.

Let your HR know you have a medical condition, explain what it is and how it affects you. Work on getting a Dr note explaining it as well so HR can have it on file. You could also look into applying for intermittent FMLA. My sister also has colitis, and uses intermittent FMLA so when she has to call out from going into work (especially several days in a row), her job is still protected. Flare ups are no joke and stressing about losing your job during one only adds to the stress which you don't need.

When my sister worked at Target, she confided in a couple TLs to let them know her condition and they were completely understanding and one of them even knew quite a bit about colitis which made explaining it easier. It's one of those things where embarrassing as it is to talk about, once you do, you realize people have similar experiences sometimes.

And if they aren't as understanding and helpful as decent human beings should be check out this thread for what your rights are under the law and how to go about accessing them.

Back