Archived Memorial Day time and a half

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working overnight tonight (Sunday) and work til 6am Monday morning. Will I get time and a half pay from midnight to 6am or is it only during store business hours you get the pay?

So during the day it is not time and a half?

You will still get your time and a half for all hours worked today.

Been working for Targets for years and never paid attention to this. If you work 40 hours during the week of the holiday and work on the day of the holiday (time and half). Can you work beyond the 40 hours without going OT?

Been working for Targets for years and never paid attention to this. If you work 40 hours during the week of the holiday and work on the day of the holiday (time and half). Can you work beyond the 40 hours without going OT?
Yes, you can technically work up to 40 non-holiday hours plus however many hours they schedule you for on the actually holiday. But HR probably won't like to admit it and it took some convincing to get them to let me do it last year.

I am working overnight tonight (Sunday) and work til 6am Monday morning. Will I get time and a half pay from midnight to 6am or is it only during store business hours you get the pay?
If you work tonight as well, you will still get holiday pay until 11:59pm

So during the day it is not time and a half?
It starts at midnight and runs through 11:59pm. The OP was asking how it works for an overnight shift that runs through only part of the holiday.

Yes, you can technically work up to 40 non-holiday hours plus however many hours they schedule you for on the actually holiday. But HR probably won't like to admit it and it took some convincing to get them to let me do it last year.
So if you are scheduled 40 hours (including the day of the holiday). And end up staying an extra 30 mins or an hour (with permission of course). HR won't go "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD".?

So if you are scheduled 40 hours (including the day of the holiday). And end up staying an extra 30 mins or an hour (with permission of course). HR won't go "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD".?
I'm pretty sure it would cause you to show up on the OT report, even though you wouldn't be anywhere close to it. So depending on your store, you may have a leader see you on the OT report and ask you to cut your time back under 40. You would need a good excuse not to do it (such as "so and so told me it was ok").

Last edited:
Still a little confuse but ok. Now I'm freaking out because I stayed an extra 40 mins because it was busy today. Being a TL (you would think I would know this) with time and half + holiday pay. Again I am scheduled for 40 hours this week. I remember reading something about, if you worked on the holiday that counts towards holiday pay. The hours worked on that day is counted as holiday pay?

Still a little confuse but ok. Now I'm freaking out because I stayed an extra 40 mins because it was busy today. Being a TL (you would think I would know this) with time and half + holiday pay. Again I am scheduled for 40 hours this week. I remember reading something about, if you worked on the holiday that counts towards holiday pay. The hours worked on that day is counted as holiday pay?
Yes.

Which means the extra 40 hours I put in won't cause me to show up on the OT report?

Sorry if I'm driving the point a little too much. Going OT is an issue for me. Gotta learn to not work lol.
I didn't get 40 hours this week. As long as you did not exceed your scheduled time, you should be ok.

So I'm scheduled 32 this week.

8 were on Memorial Day.

So that means I'm only working 24 hours correct?

So if my average hours are 36 I could use 12 vacation to boost my check?

As a TL, you should get Holiday Pay, which is just extra pay due to the holiday regardless of if you work it or not. I assume it's 8 hours at your regular rate.

For working on the holiday, you also get Holiday Premium Pay which is your overtime pay rate (regular x 1.5).

The other 32 hours you are scheduled this week are just regular hours.

I'm about 80% sure that the overtime report won't know the difference and will show all hours you were actually clocked in, regardless of if it was premium pay or regular.

Last edited:
SL was running behind tonight with go-backs. Finally I asked a TM, "Why are y'all being slow? Don't y'all want to leave quickly as well, like *Other TMs* and I?" He replies, "Yeah, but we get a time and a half tonight so we're taking our time." :rolleyes:

Can confirm that you actually don't show up on the OT report if you worked on Memorial Day.

I worked a little over 8 hours on Memorial Day, going to end up with around 47 hours this week, and I'm still not on the OT report.

I know for sure I will be 40 mins -ish past my scheduled 40 for the week. And I am not on the OT report.

If some of those hours were working Memorial Day, you won't be on the OT report.
Holidays are paid out from a different account & do NOT count toward your usual 40.

If some of those hours were working Memorial Day, you won't be on the OT report.
Holidays are paid out from a different account & do NOT count toward your usual 40.

So could you theoretically say....work 6 days 8 hours each and still be good if one of those is on a holiday?

That's why I signed up for another shift that day. Ended up racking up almost eleven hours on Monday.

04o4E.gif

Yeh, our leadership would have something to say about that.
Used to be only TLs could pick up extra shifts like that until we had call-outs in several specialized areas.
I picked up 46 hrs that week; not gonna lie, it was a great paycheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back