Archived Memorial Day ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering because I overheard someone else say it but do we get time & a half for working on Memorial Day ??

Yes you do! Working the following holidays (in the US at least) nets you time and a half: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Hours on these days will show up as holiday premium on your paycheck, which is paid at time and a half, but is not considered overtime. So on a holiday week you can work 48 hours without going into overtime. If you happen to be a TL, you get 8 hours of holiday pay (regular wage) for these days regardless and holiday premium if you work on that holiday. Essentially double time and a half.

yes! ;) actually, you can work 40 hours (not counting Monday) + all you can get on Monday as your holiday pay.

be prepeared to get time and half, wow... and then get your hours cut to cover that extra cost, so it will all even out. We get free food, hamburgers and hot dogs cooked on our outdoor grill.

Monday 24 hour period is different budget so you can work a double if you are able and get a nice chunk of change.. and if you work 5 other days this week .. you'll be dead but that next paycheck will be nice to see

I always worked doubles on holidays, in addition to 5 other days that week. The 6th day at time and a half is always nice.

It was one of the things taken away in the 2005 concessions(union job) the folks who have worked there since before 2k5 still get double time and a half... They also get paid 8 hours for the holiday so it's really like triple time and a half. On the bright side, those employees typically request to work on those days meaning I get the day off which I'll take over the 8 extra dollars lol.

Wait wait wait. How does Memorial Day etc not count towards our weekly hours and whether or not we get overtime? I can work 48 hours that week and not get overtime? It seems like labor boards would have a problem with that.

It's because they are already paying you time and a half for the holiday. You are still staying under 40 hours for the rest of the week but getting time and a half for the holiday. You are essentially still getting "overtime"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back