Mental Health LOA?

has anyone had experience with taking an LOA specifically for mental health or just taking one in general?
struggling with mental illness for the last few years, on top of dealing with a lot of stressors the last couple of months has had a huge impact on my mental health. i think i am going to be starting inpatient treatment at a facility fairly soon, but i am not sure how to go about this. i knew of someone at my store that took an loa for their mental health but i do not know exactly what is involved and what i need to do. another thing too is that in the middle of december i got covid and was placed on an immediate loa but obviously that loa was required and my hr-etl handled pretty much everything for me and there was clearly no discussion of why i needed to go on leave. i’m concerned now because not only do i not know what i need to do to take an loa so i can get treatment and get better, but i have also taken an loa in the last month so would i even be able to go on another one? i would really hate to lose my job because they won’t allow me to go on another loa, especially for something i really need.

I took an LOA for mental health. What you are wanting to do is actually FMLA. Target calls it a medical LOA internally, but the paperwork and laws are FMLA.

I was at a crisis point. I think it was pay & benefits, someone please confirm, but they put me on leave effective immediately and handled telling my store about the leave. They also sent me paperwork for my doctor to fill out and return. Normally they mail it but I requested an email copy too so I could get it to my doctor faster.

With Target I took a month off to heal. A different job, I took FMLA on an intermittent basis. Keep that in mind for when you leave treatment, you may want to stay on FMLA so you have guaranteed time off for any medical treatment after you get out. You have 12 weeks worth of time.

Hugs.

It's FMLA and all you need to do is call or access Leavepro. Your doctor will fill out a form. You get 12 weeks in each rolling year. I recommend saving 2 weeks (taking 10 weeks) so that if you need intermittent time, you have it.

It is the same kind of leave that you would take if you had cancer or were pregnant. FMLA can be taken in chunks or can be taken in as little as (I believe) hours. You can use it as intermittent if you have some sort of sudden onset (migraines, panic attacks, MS) or frequent appointments. You can also take FMLA to care for someone else (parent, child, spouse.)

There are significant benefits to using FMLA if you are eligible. It is not at all subjective when you call in if using intermittent leave and you do not have to give prior notice if it is not possible due to your cause (it is polite to do so if you can). If you tell them it is an FMLA absence they are not allowed to question your reason to pressure you into coming into work when you are not able. FMLA also ensures that the hours missed cannot be used in any way as a cause to let you go.

Back