Merit Level 1

Story time with Q&A (DC)

Here's the story...
I started this journey at the end of June 2020 (COVID mass hire) Inbound A1. 10 months in, May 2021, I moved into Operations Clerical/Packet Officefor IB A2 (Level 1 Merit). Throughout the years TM across the DC have received multiple pay increases that merits did not, 1 recently increasing $1/hr. Merit Levels did have an increase last year per Level. My counterparts on other keys have tenure and received an increase. I was told by my HR that since I hadn't been there that long that I would not get the increase (approximately $3/hr more than what I was making). So now, new hires are walking in the door making more $ than me and I have been there almost 4 years. I work my butt off in that office, and I feel like I'm getting played. At what point would I be entitled to the Merit Level increase? I love my job, but walking into work knowing NHs make more money than me is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
You can’t compare merit level jobs with hourly progression, pay scales are drastically different. The trade off is merit is much less physically demanding as a whole. Hourly progression Increases are built into the scale, where merit increases are annual based on performance. One benefit to merit is the STI performance bonus, which progression are not entitled to. If you’re that unhappy, post back into an hourly progression role, but be ready for the more demanding work. Bitching about it here isn’t going to get you squat.

You can’t compare merit level jobs with hourly progression, pay scales are drastically different. The trade off is merit is much less physically demanding as a whole. Hourly progression Increases are built into the scale, where merit increases are annual based on performance. One benefit to merit is the STI performance bonus, which progression are not entitled to. If you’re that unhappy, post back into an hourly progression role, but be ready for the more demanding work. Bitching about it here isn’t going to get you squat.
I was just simply asking when would I be entitled to the Merit increase? And I'll bitch about whatever and wherever I choose. And FYI, for the progression TM that have capped out, they are getting a higher % bonus every year than merit level 1. And to say merit is less physically demanding, ICQA, YC, and TSS may argue that, I know the ones in my DC would. Thanks for you 2 cents...worthless as 2 cents.

Those are the risks you take going to merit so early in the progression scale. The only raise you will get is with the yearly review.

I was just simply asking when would I be entitled to the Merit increase? And I'll bitch about whatever and wherever I choose. And FYI, for the progression TM that have capped out, they are getting a higher % bonus every year than merit level 1. And to say merit is less physically demanding, ICQA, YC, and TSS may argue that, I know the ones in my DC would. Thanks for you 2 cents...worthless as 2 cents.
There's no generic merit increase that you get at some point in your career to catch you up. The bump that happened was a one time network raise that was a correction for people who had been with Target and in merit levels for 10+ years and were drastically behind progression TMs. And it happened in a year were Target was making money hand over fist and was giving out raises and bonuses left and right. Don't expect that again for another 5 to 10 years.

I'm not sure how much a maxed WWs make in your building but its typically equal or better than merit 1 which caps at 27-28 methinks.

If I were you I would be using my clerical experience to switch into a merit 2 position like YC, STSS or ICQA or switch back to the floor. Otherwise you'll need to be very patient or switch back to the floor.

Back