Archived Minimum Wage FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the most common sources of confusion is Target's pay and minimum wage policy. Make sure you ask HR if you need answers to specific questions(we can give you likely answers, but nothing official), but I'd like to answer a few questions that always seem to pop up. On to the juicy details:

What is Target's minimum wage?
Unless your state or city has a higher amount it is currently $10.00 for N03. The amount is higher for different workcenters.

What does [workcenter] make?
It depends upon the paygrade. Target's TM pay scale runs from N03-N17, but only includes odd numbers. At each level there is an increase in pay.

N03 = Base pay [usually minimum wage](Cashier, Cart Attendant, Sales Floor)
N05 = Base + 25 cents (Instocks, Pricing, Brand TM)
N07 = Base + 50 cents (Flow, Backroom, Presentation, GSA)
N09 = Base + 75 cents (TPS, PA)
N11 = Base + 2.25 (Sr TPS)
N13 = Base + 3.00 (TL, APS)
N15 = Base + 4.00 (AP TL, Food TL, Sr APS)
N17 = Base + 5.00 (Sr TL, PMT, VML)

If I promote to TL, does that mean I get a $3 raise?
Only if you are currently at N03 and promoting to N13. You have to subtract the raises already in your current paygrade, since you've already earned those. Someone who promoted from N07->N13 would receive a $2.50(3.00-0.50) raise.

What would I make in [state/city]?
That depends! Everywhere has different minimum wage laws, but a quick google search will be the easiest way to find out. The answer is complicated because it depends on your workcenter, tenure, the minimum wage of the area, shift differential, key carrier status, etc.

So you can't tell me?
You can take the minimum wage, and add the increase for your paygrade. That's a pretty good idea of where it'll be. You may make a little more if you work overnight or early morning, usually a $1.00 per hour shift differential.

$1.00! How can I score some of that sweet, delicious shift differential?
Sell your soul to Target. If you work at least 3 hours between 10 PM and 8 AM(sorry 6 AM stores!) you will receive differential for the number of hours between those times. If you work early AM and work 4 AM-9 AM, you would receive 4 hours of shift differential and 1 hour without.

What happens when we change unload times?
If you are switching from early AM to a later unload process that no longer qualifies, you may see some shift differential rolled into your base pay if you worked hours between those times. If you didn't work early AM, no soup (shift diff) for you.

If I transfer to somewhere with a higher minimum wage, what happens?
If you are lower than the base pay for your paygrade in that area, you will see an increase to that base.

Does Target take away pay if I transfer to somewhere with a lower minimum wage?
You should get to keep your current wage, even if it is higher than your new area's base pay. Great success!

What happens when the minimum wage increases in my area?
The floor for your workcenter is bumped up. Any team members lower than the new base for their workcenter(see above) will see an increase. If you already make more than that, you will not see any increase.

So does that mean new team members make the same as veterans?
Probably. Target's standard procedure is to bump up the floor only, which brings newer TMs closer to vets. It is possible if you have long tenure you may be above the new floor, but less likely as minimum wage continues to climb.

Why don't increases apply to everyone? Wouldn't that be fair?
The reality is that Target is not going to pay more for payroll than it needs to. Target complies with minimum wage laws when they are higher than company-wide minimums.

So how can I make more money?
To quote my DTL: "Merit raises are not intended to be large. Promote."
I don't see that changing any time soon, especially as minimum wage goes up. I recommend cross-training.

Do you have any burning questions that aren't answered here? New insight to share? Let me know!

Last edited:
TLs at my store are a PG13, but they start at base + 4.00 I believe. Weird.

The thing a lot of people don't know about paygrades (or "pay levels") is that while each position is the same paygrade company wide, the rate of pay (base + whatever) differs across the company. For example, at my store, N05 is 50 cents above base and N07 is $1 above base, as opposed to the 0.25 and 0.50 in the original posting. But what pay level a position is in remains the same company wide.

I know someone who has worked for Target for over 20 years and almost makes less than someone who started 2 years ago. That's really sad. And on top of that they try to get rid of the older people because they can pay them less.

I know pa and flow are not both n07 at my store, no. Flow is .50 more than base and pa is 1.00.

You should note that some stores have a higher base pay to stay competitive.

Everyone needs to keep in mind this is a general guide and doesn't apply to every store. At my store, I'm base + $1.25 as a PA, hired this year. Either that or for some strange reason, the base is $10.50 which kinda doesn't make sense... lower volume store.

Yep. There are a lot of factors that go into this, and it's hard to know all the variables. This is just a compilation of what I know from my time with Target, spanning 3 stores, 3 districts, and 2 regions. There's 2 paygrades I've never been, so I've had to fill in those blanks from others. It's been consistent everywhere I've been, but that doesn't mean it's the same everywhere. I just wanted to help others get a feel for the baseline amounts and understand what to expect as their wages change.

Everyone needs to keep in mind this is a general guide and doesn't apply to every store. At my store, I'm base + $1.25 as a PA, hired this year. Either that or for some strange reason, the base is $10.50 which kinda doesn't make sense... lower volume store.
Pretty sure your store just has a higher base pay, considering the fact that the base pay was actually $9 until about this week. My store has higher than base pay to stay competitive with other retailers in our immediate area. It doesn't have anything to do with volume.

Annual raises are worthless. If I stayed at Target I would still be making roughly the same as people who are new. Min wage was 7.75 back in 2009 when I started.

After nearly 15 yrs I was getting raises of .26 despite being global, open avail, coming in early/staying later, picking extra duties when we had a sudden turnover losing several TMs.
Decided the family was more important than chump change.
Despite that, I still have a few Target folk I get together with & I still shop at the red nuthouse.

Guys can you still claim unemployment benefits if the store your working at schedules you for only 2 days and for 2 weeks when your normal avg hrs are 36.5?

Guys can you still claim unemployment benefits if the store your working at schedules you for only 2 days and for 2 weeks when your normal avg hrs are 36.5?

Most states yes. Just file, your state will determine if you are eligible and how much you get. You will not be penalized by your state for filing a claim as long as you are truthful in the info you provide.

You may be eligible for Food Assistance as well depending on your overall finanes, ie: spouse, kids in household, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back