Archived Minimum wage going up soon?

• Thread starter targetgirl123456
  • Start date
  • Replies 83
  • Views 12K
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the wealth is concentrating towards the top. Taxation is a form of wealth redistribution because income inequality will make people riot like a mother. Correlation does equal causation

-
you get paid what you're worth

if you're making 9/hr at 30 years old you're probably not worth much, no offense

Or the economy has crashed in your area, the work you did has been sent to another country, you need to feed your kids, and it's all that's out there.
Don't frelling judge people if you don't know all the facts.

that could be true in some cases, but at my target I see far too many people in their 20's and 30's and far too little motivation and drive

You know, I actually agree that there can be a severe lack of motivation, drive, or anything remotely resembling a work ethic aork mong a lot of folks at Spot, and I know from past experience that the same goes for most retail establishments. Likely does for most work settings, jobs, careers, and even academic settings or other arenas of life.

That said, it can be deeply disheartening to even the most diligent and loyal worker, even the most intrinstically motivated of us, to bust our butts and put up with all of the things that working with the public ( not to mention our darling co-workers ) can entail, only to be frequently be rewarded with, at best, an annual raise that often isn't enough to pay 1/100th of your bus fare, or, at worst, nothing-or the crack of the whip and admonishments to perform better, increase results even more, etc...

Of course, many people get the raises they deserve, and I am aware that Spot is not a charity organization, it is a for-profit business, and how...

So many threads have already covered the issues of corporate plundering, the shifting sands of the retail industry, the U.S. economy, etc., that I will not go off on a rant about that.

All I can say on my own behalf about all this is that as a very, very uneducated person myself who has, frankly, made several poor life choices that affect me even to this day, the results I am getting are about what I can expect.

Do I "deserve" them? well, of course I say "no", but I don't know that I'm the judge of what anyone really "deserves".

What I do every day at work would not be considered by most to be either a back-breaker or a brain-buster.

But I KNOW that what I offer and deliver as a worker is indeed worth a living wage. Is a nice even ten an hour REALLY so much to ask for when the fruits of my labor currently wonn't pay half my bills, yet manage to subsidize yet another summer home for some dude in Minnesota who already has more money than he likely knows what to do with?

i HATE how every year Target solicits donations from their TM's for United Way. It's absolutely disgusting!! Then Target can pout their chests and tell the media.. "blah blah TARGET donated x-millions of dollars to charity!" (while writing it all off on taxes) and the TM's get NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, in return for it. TM's make NO money to start, are probably on some type of gov assistance because the slavery-level wages they pay their TM's don't allow them to be self-sufficient. So then Target pays less taxes (due to charity "donations"), and TM's collect welfare from the gov.. so to a certain extent, WE (tax payers) PAY FOR WHAT TARGET should be responsible for paying (a LIVABLE WAGE..) for their TM's. IDK, I just think it's outrageous that Target doesn't do something that BENEFITS their TM's (The people who MAKE Target what it is)... they should be ashamed.

-
you get paid what you're worth

if you're making 9/hr at 30 years old you're probably not worth much, no offense

Or the economy has crashed in your area, the work you did has been sent to another country, you need to feed your kids, and it's all that's out there.
Don't frelling judge people if you don't know all the facts.

that could be true in some cases, but at my target I see far too many people in their 20's and 30's and far too little motivation and drive

This is true. There are lots of TMs out there who have no ambition or motivation in life.

There are also many TMs who have criminal records. In my state, you can basically go online and put in someones name to see their criminal history. The law makes it all public record. I decided to put in the name of every TM I could think of at my old store, and damn near 40% of them had criminal records. No, I don't mean armed robbery or rape.... lots of minor offenses (possession of weed, etc), but still some more serious ones that definitely would prohibit getting a job outside of retail.

That said, the fact is some people are stuck in retail.... either for personal problems (lack of motivation/drive) or for mistakes they made in prior years that will ruin them for life. (criminal record) Therefore, I think it would appropriate for Target to adopt the Costco model.... start everyone at $10/hour. If you become valuable to the company (you care about the company, drive sales, learn every job in the store that would take a new person 1-3 years to learn, etc) then you start to make living wage money.... i.e. $15-20/hour after several years of commitment to the company.

Costco is doing great, they have low turn over, employees who are dedicated to the company, and employees who are not on welfare and barely making it in life.

Part of the problem with Target is that they keep the dead weight around.... seriously, think about it. You damn near have to go out of your way to literally *try* to get fired at Target before you actually will. I had this guest come in the other day and say to me "You have lots of dead men here." I was like "I'm sorry?" and he said "Yea, half your employees walk around like they are zombies. I see them roaming around looking into space moving like zombies". All I could think was "Yea.... that's pretty accurate sadly...."

At companies like Costco, they cut your ass loose the moment they realize you have zero drive.

Last edited:
I always wondered how sparse the ranks of retail and fast food employment might look if all the BS pot charges were expunged from peoples records.

Of course, many people get the raises they deserve, and I am aware that Spot is not a charity organization, it is a for-profit business, and how...

So many threads have already covered the issues of corporate plundering, the shifting sands of the retail industry, the U.S. economy, etc., that I will not go off on a rant about that.

All I can say on my own behalf about all this is that as a very, very uneducated person myself who has, frankly, made several poor life choices that affect me even to this day, the results I am getting are about what I can expect.

Do I "deserve" them? well, of course I say "no", but I don't know that I'm the judge of what anyone really "deserves".

What I do every day at work would not be considered by most to be either a back-breaker or a brain-buster.

But I KNOW that what I offer and deliver as a worker is indeed worth a living wage. Is a nice even ten an hour REALLY so much to ask for when the fruits of my labor currently wonn't pay half my bills, yet manage to subsidize yet another summer home for some dude in Minnesota who already has more money than he likely knows what to do with?

I agree completely.

Don't get me wrong, I think educated people should get good jobs, but not everyone has gone to college etc.

People in lower end jobs should still be able to make a decent wage and make at LEAST $25k/year. That's not asking a whole lot! :)

What I don't agree with is that there are people making sums of money far greater than they need (and end up sitting on a mountain of cash). Why do people need salaries over $250k/year? **** after 100k/year you can live a pretty damn lavish life style.

I would never WANT that much money. I don't know how any person with a conscience could.

i HATE how every year Target solicits donations from their TM's for United Way. It's absolutely disgusting!! Then Target can pout their chests and tell the media.. "blah blah TARGET donated x-millions of dollars to charity!" (while writing it all off on taxes) and the TM's get NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, in return for it. TM's make NO money to start, are probably on some type of gov assistance because the slavery-level wages they pay their TM's don't allow them to be self-sufficient. So then Target pays less taxes (due to charity "donations"), and TM's collect welfare from the gov.. so to a certain extent, WE (tax payers) PAY FOR WHAT TARGET should be responsible for paying (a LIVABLE WAGE..) for their TM's. IDK, I just think it's outrageous that Target doesn't do something that BENEFITS their TM's (The people who MAKE Target what it is)... they should be ashamed.
^This.
They push hard for donation/participation at our store despite the fact that easily a third of our TMs are on food stamps, take the bus (can't afford a car), live in gov housing (the divorced mom whose ex skipped out on child support), on Medicaid (can't afford even an HSA) & working second jobs.
Minimum wage isn't meant to be a 'living' wage - yeh, we get it - but, when these are currently the ONLY jobs out there, it just makes bad times worse.
And then to have your boss try & shake you down so the company can garner some cheap PR is just another slap in the face.

I agree completely.

Don't get me wrong, I think educated people should get good jobs, but not everyone has gone to college etc.

People in lower end jobs should still be able to make a decent wage and make at LEAST $25k/year. That's not asking a whole lot! :)

What I don't agree with is that there are people making sums of money far greater than they need (and end up sitting on a mountain of cash). Why do people need salaries over $250k/year? **** after 100k/year you can live a pretty damn lavish life style.

I would never WANT that much money. I don't know how any person with a conscience could.

Are you so arrogant that you actually believe you know what people need? Really? So if they offered you $150k a year, you'd refuse? And don't forget the tax rate on $100k is probably 33% so you won't actually get $100k.

Are you really young or really naive? I don't mean to insult you (or 16 year olds), but you sound like an idealistic 16 year old.

I agree completely.

Are you so arrogant that you actually believe you know what people need? Really? So if they offered you $150k a year, you'd refuse? And don't forget the tax rate on $100k is probably 33% so you won't actually get $100k.

Are you really young or really naive? I don't mean to insult you (or 16 year olds), but you sound like an idealistic 16 year old.

I doubt I'd be making 150k in any job. But if I was making that much I'd at least try to make good use of the money in one way or another, like donation. Or helping a poor kid get through college. Honestly I'd rather see my wealth redistributed properly to workers at the bottom who need it more.

Now this might sound like communism but let me state that I still think there needs to be incentive for people to be doctors, etc. and make a good yearly income. I am not proposing that everyone should make the same! But there needs to be a point where people are just making gluttonous amounts of money. If the workers on the bottom (full time mind you), are working below the poverty line, change needs to happen.

Apparently you think the status quo is fine, as I can see why you would call me naive. Fact of the matter is that workers in America are getting screwed for the benefit of the top 1%. Unless someone has made extremely poor fiscal decisions, or has 6 kids, please tell me why someone would need more than 150k a year? Lol.

I agree completely.

I doubt I'd be making 150k in any job. But if I was making that much I'd at least try to make good use of the money in one way or another, like donation. Or helping a poor kid get through college. Honestly I'd rather see my wealth redistributed properly to workers at the bottom who need it more.

Now this might sound like communism but let me state that I still think there needs to be incentive for people to be doctors, etc. and make a good yearly income. I am not proposing that everyone should make the same! But there needs to be a point where people are just making gluttonous amounts of money. If the workers on the bottom (full time mind you), are working below the poverty line, change needs to happen.

Apparently you think the status quo is fine, as I can see why you would call me naive. Fact of the matter is that workers in America are getting screwed for the benefit of the top 1%. Unless someone has made extremely poor fiscal decisions, or has 6 kids, please tell me why someone would need more than 150k a year? Lol.[/QUOTE

There are lots of reasons that one could "need" more than $150k a year. Maybe if your parents had made more, you'd be living a more comfortable life now, with a good education that they could have helped provide. But you're right, no one needs $150k. No one "needs" anything more than a tent and a few chickens. Food and shelter are the only necessities. But it certainly isn't up to you to decide who needs what and how much of it.

I agree completely.

Apparently you think the status quo is fine, as I can see why you would call me naive. Fact of the matter is that workers in America are getting screwed for the benefit of the top 1%. Unless someone has made extremely poor fiscal decisions, or has 6 kids, please tell me why someone would need more than 150k a year? Lol.[/QUOTE

There are lots of reasons that one could "need" more than $150k a year. Maybe if your parents had made more, you'd be living a more comfortable life now, with a good education that they could have helped provide. But you're right, no one needs $150k. No one "needs" anything more than a tent and a few chickens. Food and shelter are the only necessities. But it certainly isn't up to you to decide who needs what and how much of it.

Actually I grew up with a single working mom who only made an average salary. When I was younger we were actually on food stamps. Despite all this I had (and still have) a rather comfortable life. I did get a good college education as well.

Also I find it hilarious that you describe less than 150k/year as a tent and a few chickens. Rofl.

You're right, it's not up to ME to decide, but rather the majority. So obviously you're against livable wages for YOUR subordinates, but I doubt you're going to find much sympathy here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some individual states have raised their minimum wage, 9 states have done raised their wage and 3 others are fighting about it.
Chris Christie Gov. of NJ vetoed a raise and New York's Andrew Cu0m0 is working to raise theirs to $8.75.
Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, and Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., introduced the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2012 in July.
The bill proposed a federal minimum wage increase to $9.80 over three years and annual cost-of-living adjustments to keep the minimum wage from falling behind and eroding in value.
Of course the Elephants killed it.
No date has been set as to when the bill will be reintroduced.

Hey commie, did NY pass the increase? My boss at my other job was saying something about it yesterday and his wording made it sound like it was for sure going to happen.

I have never had a problem with people getting rich especially when they did it by bringing positive change to the world.
What I have serious issues with are the people who make their fortunes by stripping companies, sending the jobs to other countries, making shady investments and buying the government so they can make sure they don't have to pay their fair share.
We haven't had the kind of income disparity that have now since the 1900's.
My mom used to say that life isn't fair so people have to be.
If you look to the 1950's country became one of the most powerful, amazing places to live by having strong unions, heavy taxes on the rich and investment in infrastructure.
Yes, there were also serious social issues as well, I'd argue that those changes improved the economy.

Some individual states have raised their minimum wage, 9 states have done raised their wage and 3 others are fighting about it.
Chris Christie Gov. of NJ vetoed a raise and New York's Andrew Cu0m0 is working to raise theirs to $8.75.
Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, and Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., introduced the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2012 in July.
The bill proposed a federal minimum wage increase to $9.80 over three years and annual cost-of-living adjustments to keep the minimum wage from falling behind and eroding in value.

Hey commie, did NY pass the increase? My boss at my other job was saying something about it yesterday and his wording made it sound like it was for sure going to happen.

Yep, It's going to $8.00 this year, $8.75 next year and $9.00 the year after.

All I know is that working at Spot these last 3 years has made me loathe college grads who think their **** doesnt stink. It also pissed me off enough to go apply at the local trade school to get my HVAC/R cert.

**** this company and everything it stands for. I am sick and tired of watching ****ty managers lord it over other TMs and stealing from their pockets.

Just got my financial aid package, and ill only be 6k in debt after all is said and done. Then ill be making more than those ****ty etls starting out and actually contributing to society.

@Determinism it really depends on the person. One of the former ETLs in my store cared SOO much about the team. He's gone now though. :(

I agree completely.

Actually I grew up with a single working mom who only made an average salary. When I was younger we were actually on food stamps. Despite all this I had (and still have) a rather comfortable life. I did get a good college education as well.

Also I find it hilarious that you describe less than 150k/year as a tent and a few chickens. Rofl.

You're right, it's not up to ME to decide, but rather the majority. So obviously you're against livable wages for YOUR subordinates, but I doubt you're going to find much sympathy here.

I never said that less than 150k/year is a tent and a few chickens. Nor did I say that I'm against livable wages for anyone. And it seems to me that you are the one looking for sympathy. You have no idea what I live on and you have no idea what I do with the money I make. Remember, I'm a TL at Target - not making $150k/year, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone who does.

I have never had a problem with people getting rich especially when they did it by bringing positive change to the world.
What I have serious issues with are the people who make their fortunes by stripping companies, sending the jobs to other countries, making shady investments and buying the government so they can make sure they don't have to pay their fair share.
We haven't had the kind of income disparity that have now since the 1900's.
My mom used to say that life isn't fair so people have to be.
If you look to the 1950's country became one of the most powerful, amazing places to live by having strong unions, heavy taxes on the rich and investment in infrastructure.
Yes, there were also serious social issues as well, I'd argue that those changes improved the economy.

Yup, agreed.. Right before the Great Depression income disparity was at its highest. Afterwards it declined steeply. Ya know how people say the 40s-60s was so great for the middle class? That's because the top 1% didn't own the country. Right now income disparity is at its high point once again, and its up to us to punish those mother ****ers that rob us blind.

Yep, It's going to $8.00 this year, $8.75 next year and $9.00 the year after.

That's what my boss said, but I wasn't sure if it had passed.

It's time everyone become more informed about politics, Democrats want to RAISE the Minimum Wage, Republicans want to LOWER it. Democrats are for employ EE rights, Republicans are for employ ER rights. Democrats are for CONSUMER rights, Republicans are for PRODUCER (I.E. Company rights) Democrats are FOR people having the right and ability to UNIONIZE if employees want to. Republicans are AGAINST even ALLOWING employees to VOTE to see if there is even enough INTEREST to form a union!

For those who want to know WHY the income disparity is SO large now? Economists say one of the BIGGEST reasons is LACK of UNIONS. Our country has gotten more and more greedy and selfish. Meaning, people CHOSE to NOT join and to BREAK UP unions because they HOPED and THOUGHT they might get a "better deal" negotiating their own salaries. Guess what? UNITED we STAND, DIVIDED we FALL! One person (versus the ENTIRE company being UNITED) means AWFUL wages and AWFUL raises for EVERYONE!

MANY stores around the country HAVE had their shift differential taken away, so I wouldn't recommend counting on it as being a guaranteed part of your salary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back