Archived MIR Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeeingSpot

Going with the Flow
The person who usually does our receiving has had to call out for a few days, so they asked me to cover for them because I've had some training. But I never really got trained to do MIRs. I was told our sales floor teams will bring everything back to me once I get it started, as well as the backstock team, but I'm having some problems. One of the MIRs for this week is some dresses and we can not find them anywhere. We have been looking for the last 2 days on the sales floor and in the back. No one in my store knows what to do! Any advice?

And one other question, we got a box from readerlink filled with books (some missing covers/pages), no invoice came but they came with a mailing label and we have no idea what to do with it.

From my standpoint of a AAA+ SHV store with an average of 20-25 MIR's per week, about 6 hours average. For a typical B/A volume store, maybe 3-4 hours? But keep in mind there are usually way too many variations that prevent a true actual average from week to week.

Just some examples that might cause a dramatic increase in time would be:

1. High counts from Dept 59. (Levy/Readerlink)
2. More MIR's that end up with a CRC deposition, requiring a re-scan of everything as it is boxed up.
3. Dept. 37 MIR's (Sunscreen/suntan) which require more time spent with ESIM processing.
4. MIR's for the salesfloor either wasn't done or done incorrectly, affecting OH counts for the MIR and usually end up having to re-sort and re-count all items and adjust them on the L/PDA.
5. M&M MIR's: ... Someone decided not to take off all the jewel cases from the DVD's, requiring you to waste time taking ALL of them off yourself.
6. NOP/Transition MIR's: Large high counts may be involved and just end up requiring more time to process everything.
7. Recall MIR's: Due to the time/accuracy sensitivity of these MIR's, they end up just needing more attention. For example, when there was the huge Tylenol recall, you had recalled product coming everyday from everywhere: As freight from the DC's that was loaded before the hard-lock kicked into place, from the backroom, from the salesfloor, and the constant returns from guest services that usually end up getting tossed all together in a cart and brought back, requiring you to sort through all the DPCI's and manually add them into your 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc finish of the MIR.

Some basic advice would be:

1. Save all the Levy/Readerlink boxes, either from DSD check-in or from DC pushes. It makes doing all the book returns much easier without having to worry about finding larger boxes for these that are durable enough to handle 50+ lbs of books inside of it. Use a single layer of packing first on the box, and then put the pilfer-proof tape on top of that. It will vastly improve the odds of the seal breaking from the heavy load of books.
2. Save all the address/contacts on the FedEx site from all the MIR's. A lot of MIR's usually end up using the same vendor and address over time, and being able to quickly select the vendor and have it auto-fill the rest of the information in saves a lot of time. Be wary, some vendors like Sony or Paramount use the same name, but different addresses for a lot of the returns. Just make sure to double check between the packing list you print out and the saved addresses. You are able to save the same name of vendors under multiple addresses, and the FedEx site will usually do that for you. There might be multiple saves of 'Paramount' for example, but each one has a different address.
3. Print out all the MIR's with the Header and Item Detail sheets stapled together. Whomever is pulling the backroom batches, have them write the MIR number on the outside of the repack and also toss in the Header/Item detail sheet with it. It makes referencing much quicker, and when the salesfloor completes their batches, you can quickly sort and toss it in the appropriate repack since they are already numbered.

Forgot to note, with the approach of the holidays, the Quality/Recall MIR count increases. Why? All the toy recalls, ranging from lead paint, choking hazards, etc. Remember, all QA MIR's must be completed WITHIN 24 hours of dropping into the system. Also, normal MIR's will stop dropping into the system for the month of December freeing up more time for all departments. Quality/Recall MIR's ignore this rule and WILL STILL DROP INTO THE SYSTEM. MIR's resume their normal schedule beginning the first week of January.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
Sarakiel, Nov 2, 2012Report
#2Unlike+ QuoteQuote
You, Going with the Flow and StaticSun like this.

This happens all the time, especially with softlines. Just zero them out. If you do find them later you can always re open the MIR within the time frame they give you for that MIR. A couple of missing items wont hurt your score.

The person who usually does our receiving has had to call out for a few days, so they asked me to cover for them because I've had some training. But I never really got trained to do MIRs. I was told our sales floor teams will bring everything back to me once I get it started, as well as the backstock team, but I'm having some problems. One of the MIRs for this week is some dresses and we can not find them anywhere. We have been looking for the last 2 days on the sales floor and in the back. No one in my store knows what to do! Any advice?
The readerlink books, my best guess is that they sent them back because they were sent out to the wrong location. It was probably an MIR. Check to see if they have the packing list inside, if they do, create a UPS label to the address on the packing list, and ship it out!

This happens all the time, especially with softlines. Just zero them out. If you do find them later you can always re open the MIR within the time frame they give you for that MIR. A couple of missing items wont hurt your score.
Please explain the concept of "a couple of missing items won't hurt your score", since my exec thinks I should be able to get my hands on everything.

OMG! There's a store that actually follows the best practices on pulling MIRS!?!?

One of the MIRs for this week is some dresses and we can not find them anywhere. We have been looking for the last 2 days on the sales floor and in the back. No one in my store knows what to do! Any advice?

If you haven't found them yet, check in un-worked re-shop carts and the fitting room. Our fitting room has a closet next to it with all kinds of random articles of clothing stowed away.

For softlines recalls I always check with the ladies who work softlines or work the revisions/resets. Some of them, you can show them the MIR sheet and they will lead you right to the item.

For the Readerlinks, as said before it might be an outgoing shipment that got routed back to your store. Check the mailing address, check the contents. Does it look like it's incoming or outgoing? If it's outgoing you can resend it, there should be UPS labels pre-printed with the Readerlink address somewhere in receiving. If it's incoming and damaged, you have the choice of figuring out how to send a return credit or just defecting it out. Sometimes the easiest solution is the best, but it's up to you.

Last edited:
Please explain the concept of "a couple of missing items won't hurt your score", since my exec thinks I should be able to get my hands on everything.
No way! For example the kids paper books that are like $4.99. Any kid can put them in his moms shopping cart, mistakenly walking out the door with it. MIRs ask for it, its not there. Happens all the time. As long as you are 90% you will be green. Even 88% or somewhere around the 80s percentage will keep you out of red. You wont be green but its better then being red.

No way! For example the kids paper books that are like $4.99. Any kid can put them in his moms shopping cart, mistakenly walking out the door with it. MIRs ask for it, its not there. Happens all the time. As long as you are 90% you will be green. Even 88% or somewhere around the 80s percentage will keep you out of red. You wont be green but its better then being red.
Backroom88: If I can't get my hands on it, it's a discussion with a TL who really could care less. Then it's go through item search for each item and a discussion with my ETL

Also who is ever allocated the time to spend an hour going through the poorly maintained zone of kids books to try to find 1 book that might be there. So glad my store lopped off so many kids books during our last e&e remodel.

Wow thats being way to picky!
No it's just the mindset of "if the pda shows we have this many" then its my job to hunt it down.

With inventory I've been working on things that have nothing to do with MIRs and got asked about how they were going. Love the look I got when told that they have not been pulled

I have QA today. it says it needs all and we have 12 on hand but I only found 7. what do I need to do? our receiving person is on vacation.

thanks for the help.

Quick question for everyone: At your store does the receiver work their MIRs on the sales floor or do they recruit sales floor TMs to do all that for them?

Had a ONE SPOT Q/A today also. There was 9 on hand. Only found 4 and not even in the location they were supposed to be in. Maybe the other 5 appear if not then theres really nothing we can do about it. If someones else finds them then they can just leave them on your deks. Or if a guest tries to pay for it, the system wont let them!

Quick question for everyone: At your store does the receiver work their MIRs on the sales floor or do they recruit sales floor TMs to do all that for them?
I pull MIR's 100% myself. You are the receiver you own the entire process. Like @vendordontmesswithme said if its like clothes or something with no locations then yeah i usually get one of the soflines ladies to help me. Usually they know.

Our receiver has been at this store since it opened. She literally will not work one MIR on the sales floor or pull one from the back. She has team leads worrying about MIRs. A stack of MIRs is delivered to the electronics boat every Tuesday for the elec. TM to handle. Our ETL-log says we are following best practices. Is he correct?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back