Mobile Tech not being able to help anymore?

I was told by AP a couple days ago that Mobile Tech aren't allowed to help Electronic TMs with push (even if it's Heyday stuff) or casing anymore. They aren't even allowed to check guests out at the boat. I was just wondering if that is normal for everyone else or if it's something new as Mobile would always help whenever they could since they had nothing to do most of the time.

I'm not an electronics team member, but back up there occasionally. I am surprised that mobile techs, who change more frequently than some of our tms change their shirts, have access to keys and registers since they are not Target employees. I understand that guests don't get the whole "they don't work for us" spiel (same as pharmacy) and get upset when they can't help, but why would Target give access to people that have not been vetted by them or technically have no accountability to Target? Is it a guest perception thing?

Generally Marketsource TMs arent supposed to do anything outside of doing phone activation related stuff. I would imagine for the reasons rarejem listed above.

If I was the APL or the SD, and considering the marketsource employees that were at my store before we went plus mobile- I would not let them anywhere near the tech keys.

Wouldn't it be better to give them their own Kiosk with hours and services listed if they can't do anything other than those service tasks?
Well of course it would be better that way, but it would require actual effort on the parts of Marketsource and Spot to do that. Spot's approach right now seems to be finding the minimum effort and monetary investment that allows them to continue being part of the mobile activations game.

Also, in the past there were issues with Mobile's job description and what they did because they used to get commission for selling pretty much anything, and unless they've changed stuff significantly, they can't do their job without register access unfortunately.

So, mobile tech, market source, is tasked with answering questions about and selling phones , and that is it. What ELSE they do is entirely up to the tech. Some techs would rather sit at their kiosk and play with their phone when not busy. Some techs offer their help with the truck to pass the time because it can be so boring and they hate not being busy. These techs are super rare of course. Afaik they do get a commission on non phones sales but it is like 1% up to a dollar or what ever. They rarely go after it.
You might see a techs boss push the tech to be more presence persistent on the mobile aisles as their own way of throwing sales pitches in, thus sound like they don't want them doing non market source stuff, but this is on a per boss baises.

Afaik they do get a commission on non phones sales but it is like 1% up to a dollar or what ever. They rarely go after it.
This is accurate, though as far as I'm aware the commission currently only extends to very specific Department/Class combos that Marketsource considers "mobile attachments" (last I saw phone cases weren't even included most of the time).

I suppose this approach is arguably better than what used to happen when they got credit for everything in the department, and monthly reports would often show unusually low register use by TMs because the mobile techs were asking everyone to scan their speed ID for every transaction.

tech helps... a lot at my store

ive seen one push in domestics

on a day we had 4 (why i have NO idea), 3 were pulled to backup in the front"

"cart attendant can u help w a carry out?"
"is mobile able to do it?" -gstl

"lead who can cover my break?"
"is mobile able to do it?"-lead

theyre constantly ringing people up and asking cihyfs

That is insane, this is market source? I mean does your store get so many cell phone sales you need 4 mobile techs?

yeah market source

we are a fairly low traffic store especially when it comes to phone sales lol i have NO IDEA why they had 4 people. 3 were fairly new but it didnt seem like they were there for training

At my store they are good at pushing the square trade extended warranty. I think they must get a higher commission than 1% on those.

Back