Mobility aids at work

Shoomm

ex-caffeinator
Does anyone here have any experience, even just temporary, with using mobility aids at work?

It's been a few years since I had a job, and I'm looking to change that in a few months or so. For various reasons, retail is going to be the easiest thing for me to start with. I don't know if I'll be going with Spot or somewhere else, but it's definitely going to be retail/service. I occasionally brought a cane to work years ago. It was mostly just for really bad days, and obviously wasn't practical at all when I was scheduled in 'bux. When I go looking for employment this time around, it'll be with a manual wheelchair. I fully understand that's going to make things far more interesting.

I'm not looking for pity, or opinions on what work I should do or where. Just interested in experience with mobility aids in Target or a similar retail environment.

It will be interesting to see how Target responds to this. The checklanes are not accessible to wheelchair users from the cashier side and neither is the register. Without having a moving belt that goes to the end of the lane, there will be lifting involved that may not be easily done from a seated position. The salesfloor is accessible, but working freight from a uboat while in a chair is not unless the unloaders do not fill the top shelf. As a short person, I can't open/close the baler without a stepstool so it isn't really possible while in a chair and very often the backroom is very crowded. Backstocking? Aisles are too close together, but it may be possible to get assigned to a salesfloor area that has an outside aisle, but they are seldom clear of other vehicles which would have to be moved for you to access the shelves. Our Starbucks is not accessible for team members in any way nor is Guest Service. With all that being said, a good discussion with HR about what accommodations would be necessary and which they and EEOC would consider to be reasonable would be in order. I had no problems using a cane or a walker at work, but no experience with using a wheelchair while at work, though I have experience with a wheelchair. One thing about Target, though, is that the aisles are wide enough and there is plenty of space between the racks in Style to accommodate a wheelchair for a team member. Not all fitting rooms are accessible. Now with that being said, just because these areas aren't accessible today does not mean that, IF THE ACCOMMODATIONS ARE REASONABLE, that they could not be accessible in the future. Typically, once an employee asks for accommodations, it may reasonably be 4-6 weeks for them to be made if they require some major physical change to the environment. If you really want to work retail, there are some ways that you can also prepare. I would strongly recommend seeing about getting a tray for your chair so that you can easily use equipment and have an accessible place for it. A side bag would be helpful as well. Spoke covers will help keep debris and merchandise from getting caught. Using a manual chair will be rough on the hands, so a good pair of leather anti-vibe gloves is necessary. If you would choose to do drive-ups, you may want to invest in a canopy that easily attaches to the chair. (umbrellas are really iffy as to how well they work). Also, a loud horn is just fun when you sneak up on coworkers.

Last edited:
I know of 2 TMs who use wheelchairs. They are in 2 different stores. One has a mechanical chair and the other manual. They both work in S&E and do line busting and self checkout. The one with the manual chair is in a store that has older registers. Her chair fits in there with her legs kind of facing the register. It means she has to do a lot of reaching with her left hand and turning her upper half to place it in a bag and then on the bag holding area. The one with the mechanical chair is at a store with 2 floors. They usually put her on the slower floor. Spot has done very little to be more accommodating to either person.

I worked with a person who was in a motorized chair. She worked part time in hba/cosmetics because the product was lightweight (also had problems with her hands). The person working nearby would get boxes from the uboats one at a time for her.

Maybe Self Checkout? or Line Busting - cashiering from a mobile stand on wheels v. a normal register?

Sorry, can't help with experiences at Target.
We didn't have anyone at my store with mobility issues.
If you need information on the ADA etc. I can help you there.

I know this may only be temporary but, what about working the mask station? You just greet guests hand out masks and help them find things. My store still has someone man the mask station. Do other stores still do this?

Mask station is also cart cleaner at my store, which would be tough in a wheelchair.

Since you mentioned a cane, will you need to be in the chair all the time or can you stand up from time to time if needed? When I hurt my knee and couldn't put weight on it, I used one of the store scooters for a few weeks and was able to stand up as needed to zone/put away things above sitting height (I had crutches or just sort of held onto shelves or whatever to keep my balance on one leg). I work in GM.

We have TM on the floor who uses a motorized scooter and she just works with the stuff she can reach, which is fine. She gets around faster than the rest of us, mostly, and does an amazing job with Bullseye.
H&B would be reasonably easy to accommodate at my store, and I would think electronics would also be a good option, if you can call for help with TVs and such.

Otherwise, self checkout is certainly do-able in a chair, as well as the service desk, depending on how the store is set up.

I believe there was at least one accessible register when I worked at my first store, but I know there's been a remodel since, and I haven't bothered to check whether that's changed or not. I actually worked the self-checkouts while mostly on a stool when the store first got them (I was recovering from major surgery at the time), so I know that's probably an option in many places. Obviously, anywhere I seriously consider applying to, I'll look to see how easy it may or may not be for me to use the register first. I am concerned about backrooms practically anywhere, as space in those can vary widely. I've worked in small shops where I was frequently by myself for an entire shift. I doubt that will be an option with a chair, if for no other reason than having a more limited reach for higher-placed stock. I don't expect to be able to do any sort of food service anywhere. Most food prep areas are cramped even under the best of circumstances, and I don't even want to think about trying to wash my hands every single time I need to move myself 6 inches. (I'd still be more than happy to help a total newb coworker troubleshoot something in 'bux/cafe, or answer their questions if it's something I remember that hasn't changed.) Most of the floor in Targets feels pretty accessible when I go through with an electric cart, which is one reason I'd consider going back there. I do have a rollator, but it doesn't suit my mobility needs anymore. It was a pretty good gauge for seeing how accessible a store was, though.

My chair is coming through Medicaid, so while it will technically be custom, it's still going to be as bare-bones as they can get away with. Any accessories are going to have to come out of my own pockets after a few paychecks first. But I do appreciate the suggestions, Raregem! I've been trying to anticipate as much as I can, but you have pointed out a couple things I hadn't thought of yet. I realize a lot of it just won't be apparent until I get the thing and start getting used to it.

DBZ: It's disappointing hearing that those TMs don't have much support at their stores, but it's good to hear they're dealing at least somewhat. Probably an ASANTS thing.

I appreciate the offer for help with ADA stuff. Entirely possible that I might need it. Again, it's probably something I can't really figure out ahead of time, just yet.

I technically can stand up, but long answer short--it's generally not worth all the trouble involved to do it, if I don't have to. Also, while I'm all about busting stereotypes (the majority of wheelchair users can stand and/or walk to some extent), I'm not so sure that's a battle I personally want to start fighting with the general public just yet. My local store doesn't appear to have changed much on the floor from their remodel, but I haven't been able to notice much of the visible TM areas due to staying home during the current plague and not needing to worry about accessibility until fairly recently. No clue about the back areas. Same goes for other local retail places I'm considering.

When I first started working for Target 10+ years ago, there was a TM at my store in a manual wheelchair. Can't remember what team she was part of, but she seemed to manage just fine with the tasks she was assigned out on the sales floor. Don't think she cashiered and the back room wouldn't have been easy for her to navigate unless it was clear the way it is when we're expecting a visit from higher-ups.
It would require a bit of creative thinking on the part of leadership, but it's certainly not impossible. Seems like the trick would be finding the right store, Target or otherwise, with leadership willing to work with you and give you a fair chance.

This was one big thing that I respected about Walmart. They had the greeter position which was not only a nice gesture but also allowed them to employ anybody regardless of accommodation. Not that I would want to regularly shop at Walmart anyway but I certainly started going a lot less than I ever had when they did away with the greeters and all the nice people in my community that everybody knew who had situations that made other forms of work difficult lost their jobs.

My chair is coming through Medicaid, so while it will technically be custom, it's still going to be as bare-bones as they can get away with. Any accessories are going to have to come out of my own pockets after a few paychecks first. But I do appreciate the suggestions, Raregem! I've been trying to anticipate as much as I can, but you have pointed out a couple things I hadn't thought of yet. I realize a lot of it just won't be apparent until I get the thing and start getting used to it.
If you get your PT, OT or doctor to sign off on some of the accessories as necessary Medicaid may cover it. Always appeal. They count on you not filing an appeal. They actually told me that they will deny everything the first time out just to see if they can get away with it. We got tire upgrades, a tool kit and wheelchair backpack through appeals after school, PT, OT, and doctor said they were necessary for quality of life. Many communities have "stores" where people trade or donate used medical equipment. Check to see what's available near you.

I have also worked with a TM in a manual wheelchair at a previous store. They are a cashier and one of the best! Their wheelchair doesn't fit behind the register but Target provided (purchased, I'm not sure) a different chair for them that was only for them. When the cashier was in, their chair would be put at the register for them, they would get themselves set up and we would keep her wheelchair at the service desk for when they needed it next.

I have also worked with a TM in a manual wheelchair at a previous store. They are a cashier and one of the best! Their wheelchair doesn't fit behind the register but Target provided (purchased, I'm not sure) a different chair for them that was only for them. When the cashier was in, their chair would be put at the register for them, they would get themselves set up and we would keep her wheelchair at the service desk for when they needed it next.
Awesome!!

Your hr & etl took care of them.

I appreciate the offer for help with ADA stuff. Entirely possible that I might need it. Again, it's probably something I can't really figure out ahead of time, just yet.

I recommend going on askjan.org and reading the suggested accommodations for your condition. When I was helping my daughter I read through that and the list of things she needed but I had never thought of was long. It's hard to realize how you have adapted to yourself, so it's easy to think something is commonplace since it is commonplace for your environment.

Interesting that this topic comes up now as my attempts to get heard about accommodations has been a nightmare up until recently. I just called my store yesterday to confirm my return to work after a 2.5 month LOA due to surgery and will be returning in a manual wheelchair. I was actually quite nervous because of my previous experience with my former ETL; but I was pleasantly surprised when HR and new ETL said they can make things work for me in my chair.

My former ETL didn't really bother to take my needs / Cerebral Palsy into consideration from the day she started at my store. As a result, I suffered through months of working because I knew I wouldn't get anywhere asking her about accommodations. I tried having a chair at the registers, but I ended up losing my balance at hitting my head a few times, so that didn't last long.

When I requested time off, I had told her that my surgery date was 6/1, but then I put 5/29 as the last day I'd be able to work because I would be going for testing over the next 2 days before the surgery and she freaked out at me and asked me why I needed the extra 2 days when I had said June 1st was the last day I'd be working (Which I never did, I had said that's when the surgery was happening, but she still flipped out, then proceeded to insult me).

Interesting that this topic comes up now as my attempts to get heard about accommodations has been a nightmare up until recently. I just called my store yesterday to confirm my return to work after a 2.5 month LOA due to surgery and will be returning in a manual wheelchair. I was actually quite nervous because of my previous experience with my former ETL; but I was pleasantly surprised when HR and new ETL said they can make things work for me in my chair.

My former ETL didn't really bother to take my needs / Cerebral Palsy into consideration from the day she started at my store. As a result, I suffered through months of working because I knew I wouldn't get anywhere asking her about accommodations. I tried having a chair at the registers, but I ended up losing my balance at hitting my head a few times, so that didn't last long.

When I requested time off, I had told her that my surgery date was 6/1, but then I put 5/29 as the last day I'd be able to work because I would be going for testing over the next 2 days before the surgery and she freaked out at me and asked me why I needed the extra 2 days when I had said June 1st was the last day I'd be working (Which I never did, I had said that's when the surgery was happening, but she still flipped out, then proceeded to insult me).
Wow what a horrible Etl glad you don't have to deal with them anymore.

In my experience this is goinf to be very managamanet dependant. When I ended up in a wheelchair from an accident they refused to let me retuen even as a cashier until I was able to perform my dusties full on. I qoek in apparel so it wasnt to much of a big deal to be in a chair. I ended up using a walk after that for supoort and worked two days before I was told to stsy home and taken off the schedule again. Latet I found out our hr and etl disnt qant anyone who coukdnt woek properly (meaning fast wfficient and anseering calls immediately) suffice it to say I wish furious from the pay I missed. I got things straightened out with HR and fun threwas ts of lawyers which I was damned seeious about.

But we alao had a lovely eldeely gal who used a cane daily that was pur fitting room befoe eit changed. She had no complaints oe issues from management ove rit until we got the bully sisiters in that tried to get her canned. Again management by management cases here. It disnt qoek of course becauae she did what was askes of her wifb no problems.

As far as accomodationa foe the most part the company has to follow full ADA laws and are required to give reasonable accomodations to you if hired. Do NOT hide the use of a cane be uo front in the interview. Managment gets pissy with surprises. Realistically I donr think it will be a big issue gicen the roles you could have there. If you need to sit for extended periods that may become an issue but if you can work on your feet for 6 to 8 hours you should be fine. Idk if this helps just beware retail is mean on a high school level :/

Wow, Stargazer. Yeah, that's pretty similar to the experiences I had between my first store and my last. One was extra accommodating before I even asked and provided close to ideal circumstances. They even made it a point to regularly check on me. The other (despite assuring me it would be fine when discussing my concerns before transferring) literally told me I needed to get my health under control, and then couldn't fathom why I was having so much trouble after a 12-hour shift covering 4 different departments. It really really does depend on the management.

Idk if this helps just beware retail is mean on a high school level :/

You know, that sums it up pretty well. I've done retail off and on for 20 years now. Ugh. I'll be using my chair pretty much anytime I leave the house (once I get it), so it won't exactly be easy to hide it. The cane has been gathering dust, but perhaps I should consider carrying it with the chair so I can whack ableists with it. That might be fun. I'm bumbling around on forearm crutches now, and it's rather hard to whack people with those and not fall over while doing so.

Wow, Stargazer. Yeah, that's pretty similar to the experiences I had between my first store and my last. One was extra accommodating before I even asked and provided close to ideal circumstances. They even made it a point to regularly check on me. The other (despite assuring me it would be fine when discussing my concerns before transferring) literally told me I needed to get my health under control, and then couldn't fathom why I was having so much trouble after a 12-hour shift covering 4 different departments. It really really does depend on the management.
I remember the first time I asked to switch to SCO because being on a lane was compromising my safety if I did it for a full 8 hour shift and her response was "Well, but you've done it before. Why do we need to make a change now?" 🙄

Back