Morning After Pill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree about Target not caring about your beliefs and stances. If you belong to a certain group, they most definitely do because they don't want a lawsuit. However, in 2014 religion especially being of the Christian faith won't give you that much sympathy. The trendy groups right now are gays and blacks. If you are a person from either group, you can play your card 24/7 because people don't want to be called a racist or bigot. It's sad that it is like but that's Murica. Doesn't WalMart sell birth control pills for like 8 or 10 dollars? Maybe people should cut back on MacDonald's or buying apps on their cell phone and use that money so they don't create a "mistake" in their eyes?

I wanted to come at this post with a big paragraph saying why you're wrong but I was on Tumblr and found the best reaction image ever to your implication that Christians are discriminated against (the statement I bolded is where I get this implication from) and that being gay and/or black is trendy.

tumblr_inline_n57vk8Xj7H1r4olk8.jpg

When I said "trendy", I meant that if you are a minority and are a member for the black or gay community, you can play that card. People do it all the time. This is America. America is a business. I am saying that in 2014, some people use their minority group status to their advantage. It's not a crime but I definitely lose respect for a person if they do it and I lose even more respect for them when they won't admit that they do it.

And it's true.
You say something that a black person doesn't like, you are a racist.
You say something that a gay person doesn't like, you hate gay people.
You say something that a woman doesn't like, you hate women.
You say something that a Christian doesn't like, you are sometimes adored by society and celebrated.

What I'm saying is that there are certain groups that are off limits and there are ones that are fair games.
You can't say anything bad about gays and blacks. You can say anything about Christians, Muslims, Palestinians, smokers, fat people, and straight white males.

When I said "trendy", I meant that if you are a minority and are a member for the black or gay community, you can play that card. People do it all the time. This is America. America is a business. I am saying that in 2014, some people use their minority group status to their advantage. It's not a crime but I definitely lose respect for a person if they do it and I lose even more respect for them when they won't admit that they do it.

And it's true.
You say something that a black person doesn't like, you are a racist.
You say something that a gay person doesn't like, you hate gay people.
You say something that a woman doesn't like, you hate women.
You say something that a Christian doesn't like, you are sometimes adored by society and celebrated.

What I'm saying is that there are certain groups that are off limits and there are ones that are fair games.
You can't say anything bad about gays and blacks. You can say anything about Christians, Muslims, Palestinians, smokers, fat people, and straight white males.

I'm not sure who you hang out with my friend but the people I hang with would say something if I insulted a Christian, a Muslim, a Palestinian, or a smoker.
Now in keeping with the whole Jews can tell Jew jokes they would let me tell a insulting fat, white, straight, male joke.

I am saying that in the eyes of society and the media, you are punished differently. Some groups are off limits while others are fair game. It's sad but true.
If Don Imus, Mel Gibson, Dr. Burke from Grey's Anatomy, or Donald Sterling had say something offensive about Christians, Muslims, Palestinians, smokers, or fat people, do you really think their names and reputations would have been damaged as much?
I remember NBA legend Isaih Thomas saying that it's not as bad for a black man to call a woman the b-word than if it a white man does it. WTF? But that right there just proves my point.

This seriously seems a tad ridiculous to me. I understand religous beliefs and all that but slide the damn box and move on. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, that's fine, but maybe you should look for a different retail job, where that is not an issues. If I was a GSA and someone someone called me over for that I'd be irritated.

That attitude is so rude and offensive. You are condemning that woman because she believes differently than you. That is so intolerant and just mean. So you disagree with what she believes, does that give you the right to destroy her as a person? Why not just agree to disagree and move on?
It's the whole "I want it done my way and I want it done my way at this moment" mentality in America. People just have this instant gratification attitude. It's like no one has patience or self control anymore.

How is that destroying someone as a person? I have no problems if you're pro choice, awesome. But it's your job to ring people up. That be like a vegetarian or vegan refusing to ring meat or animal by product up.

I am saying that in the eyes of society and the media, you are punished differently. Some groups are off limits while others are fair game. It's sad but true.
If Don Imus, Mel Gibson, Dr. Burke from Grey's Anatomy, or Donald Sterling had say something offensive about Christians, Muslims, Palestinians, smokers, or fat people, do you really think their names and reputations would have been damaged as much?
I remember NBA legend Isaih Thomas saying that it's not as bad for a black man to call a woman the b-word than if it a white man does it. WTF? But that right there just proves my point.

I hate to repeat things but

tumblr_inline_n57vk8Xj7H1r4olk8.jpg

It still bears weight.

@Jackswastedlife99 - how would you feel if you were checking out & the cashier pulled items aside, telling you that they couldn't ring this up for you because it was against their beliefs (moral, religious or otherwise)?
Let's say you were buying allergy medication & the cashier wouldn't sell it to you because you "looked like the type to manufacture meth". Or you were buying meat & the vegan cashier refused to ring your purchase?
It's not just religious beliefs either; it's someone who uses their position/actions to tell you that THEY know better than you what you're allowed to purchase.

That attitude is so rude and offensive. You are condemning that woman because she believes differently than you. That is so intolerant and just mean. So you disagree with what she believes, does that give you the right to destroy her as a person? Why not just agree to disagree and move on?
It's the whole "I want it done my way and I want it done my way at this moment" mentality in America. People just have this instant gratification attitude. It's like no one has patience or self control anymore.

She's not condemning the person who wants to buy plan b for believing differently than she does? Contraceptive use doesn't fit her beliefs, but they fit into that guest's belief system.

She can hold whatever beliefs she likes whether she believed in the pop star illuminati satanists or that the moon landing was faked, but she's being paid to ring stuff up, soooo, she should do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Didn't realize I would get this kind of respond from this question!

Anyways, I asked one of my TL's who used to be a head RX tech at a Rite Aid... She basically said that under Rite Aid's policy, a tech or RX cashier didn't have to sell the script and could have the pharmacist ring it out for the customer. However, the pharmacist was required to fill the script (back when it was prescription only) regardless. She said that Target would probably have a similar policy, the cashier could defer to someone else.

Also, I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school for elementary and high school.... Most people are unaware how the morning-after pill works and many consider it to be a form of adoption because it is used after sex (and thus, they may believe, even if wrongly, that it ends a pregnancy). While I can't speak for everyone, most people would probably rather condoms or other products because it used before and to prevent prgencacy. I did ask the cashier how she felt about selling condoms and she said; "Well I'd rather someone buy that then the morning after pill."

Last edited:
I disagree about Target not caring about your beliefs and stances. If you belong to a certain group, they most definitely do because they don't want a lawsuit. However, in 2014 religion especially being of the Christian faith won't give you that much sympathy. The trendy groups right now are gays and blacks. If you are a person from either group, you can play your card 24/7 because people don't want to be called a racist or bigot. It's sad that it is like but that's Murica. Doesn't WalMart sell birth control pills for like 8 or 10 dollars? Maybe people should cut back on MacDonald's or buying apps on their cell phone and use that money so they don't create a "mistake" in their eyes?

It probably has something to do with the fact that you are born with your race or sexual orientation, and therefore when people do not "agree" with those lifestyles, they are not agreeing with the way that particular person was born.

Christianity (along with any religion) is just a belief based upon poor evidence. You are free to believe whatever you want in the USA, but any old belief that has no anchors to reality does not deserve respect or sympathy from others. Particularly in the discussion of abortion, religion has been a conversation stopper for too long. My opinion is rather obvious on the matter :)

I was under the impression that most religions are based upon faith which is believing without proof rather than poor evidence. Faith is a leap of belief. No one can definitely say if there is a Heaven or Hell or nothing at all because they do not possess that capacity to hold that knowledge. You can try to tell yourself that you are all knowing all you want but at the end of the day, you simply are not.

I just think you guys are being way too harsh on the human for simply believing differently than you. It comes off as very bigoted and closed minded. It also comes off as if you are better than her. Not very tolerant too. I was raised in strict Christian family but I don't go up to atheists, Jews, Muslims, Satan worshippers, and others and bash them because they believe in something that is different from me. It's just bad taste and bad manners. I don't agree with Jews, Muslims, and Satan worshippers but I respect the fact that people are different.

You guys will destroy my character and existence for saying this but if a woman truly wants to destroy the organism or creature or whatever is in her gut, then the cheapest and possibly free way would be to get her man to push up against the wall and cause a miscarriage. I mean if you don't want the thing, why not just end it soon?

If you are a cashier or pharmacist you should just sell Plan B. It's not up to you to shame a customer and impose your views on them. Like commie said it's basically nothing more than slut shaming.

Also plan b doesn't kill the embryo, it prevents the fertilization from happening. Not a pro life issue.

If you absolutely can't sell it, get a GSA or gstl to do it, just keep your lips zipped and be discreet.... Sheesh

When I was in pharm tech school... We had a whole weeks discussion on this topic, this cashiers feelings are not the minority.

Who can actually sell it is regulated by the state you are in, and there are outs for not selling it in some of them. Not every state will let medical personal not do something based on religious beliefs and such, how far down in the pharmacy that extends is outlined. I'm just shocked that it can be sold on the shelf - I thought it required pharmacist consultation. Strange.

I do believe if you go into the health care field you need to be able to put your beliefs aside and help your patients, but in this case, the cashier didn't go into health care. Education can help, but their isn't a pharmacist to do that either.

Regardless, right or wrong, she is standing up for how she feels, and I was brought up to respect that.

When I was in pharm tech school... We had a whole weeks discussion on this topic, this cashiers feelings are not the minority.

Who can actually sell it is regulated by the state you are in, and there are outs for not selling it in some of them. Not every state will let medical personal not do something based on religious beliefs and such, how far down in the pharmacy that extends is outlined. I'm just shocked that it can be sold on the shelf - I thought it required pharmacist consultation. Strange.

I do believe if you go into the health care field you need to be able to put your beliefs aside and help your patients, but in this case, the cashier didn't go into health care. Education can help, but their isn't a pharmacist to do that either.

Regardless, right or wrong, she is standing up for how she feels, and I was brought up to respect that.

Your information about Plan B is out dated. In my state a consult was not needed, but was sold behind the counter(under 18 different story), now its over the counter.

I'm not trying to start the Crusades over this. I am just saying that making a federal case over this is childish and immature. Would you get mad at someone that had food allergies or was Jewish and can't eat pork if you were serving them food?

Try a better argument. Someone who was allergic to pork or had an objection to pork would not order pork.. This argument is mute.

However, if you are a cashier, and a guest is wanting an item that you hold an objection; either being condoms, pork, non-kosher foods, beer, liquor, medications, and processed foods, then just signal for the GSTL/GSA to scan it. You don't have to tell the guest the real reason. Just tell them you just need a supervisor to scan it for you. Simple as that.

But being in retail, you have to accept the thought you may have to handle items which you find objectionable/embarrasing. The sex aids, condoms, men handling lingerie/maxi pads, handling religious prohibited foods, beer/liquor. If its an item that frequently is brought up to the lanes, then you may have to find another work center.

And when you work at Target, once you clock in Target doesn't really care about your beliefs or standards. Its all about Target's might profit. Guests buying stuff is all they care about.

I was under the impression that most religions are based upon faith which is believing without proof rather than poor evidence. Faith is a leap of belief. No one can definitely say if there is a Heaven or Hell or nothing at all because they do not possess that capacity to hold that knowledge. You can try to tell yourself that you are all knowing all you want but at the end of the day, you simply are not.

I just think you guys are being way too harsh on the human for simply believing differently than you. It comes off as very bigoted and closed minded. It also comes off as if you are better than her. Not very tolerant too. I was raised in strict Christian family but I don't go up to atheists, Jews, Muslims, Satan worshippers, and others and bash them because they believe in something that is different from me. It's just bad taste and bad manners. I don't agree with Jews, Muslims, and Satan worshippers but I respect the fact that people are different.

You guys will destroy my character and existence for saying this but if a woman truly wants to destroy the organism or creature or whatever is in her gut, then the cheapest and possibly free way would be to get her man to push up against the wall and cause a miscarriage. I mean if you don't want the thing, why not just end it soon?

I say poor evidence because the religious may consider things like the Bible as evidence. They do not realize how inaccurate the thing really is, and that is why I say it is poor evidence (to the point it shouldn't be considered as such). Faith plays a role because EVEN IF the religious accepted that the Bible does not constitute as evidence, they would still believe it. Holding a belief on faith is to hold it not matter how non-existent the evidence really is.

I am tolerant of cultures, races, and gender differences. My issue is that "religion" is nothing more than a set of ideas. While you possess the right to believe whatever you want, those ideas themselves do not deserve respect if they are not tied to reality at all. If a cashier told me they couldn't ring up hamburger because their parents told them Big Foot could smell it on their hands and would attack them at night, I would immediately dismiss the cashier as insane and report her to an asylum. The same cashier can say they cannot sell Plan B Pills because an invisible being in the sky wrote a book that does not specifically mention abortions or contraception, but she heard he didn't like it from a guy in a robe and somehow this belief is more protected than the Big Foot one? Sorry, it does not deserve respect inherently just because they hold it close or because lots of other people think it.

My Target answer is to just have them call the GSTL/GSA over and ring it up for the cashier and apologize to the guest for making her wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back