Archived Moving "Demotion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberNerd

Nerd
Hey team!

First time poster long time lurker here.

I'm still searching through the forums so please forgive me if I'm asking a question that's been asked 1,000 times and resolved 999 times.

So here's the situation.....

I was hired as a GSTL a year ago. My family and I are moving and because of my limited transportation I won't be able to commute to my store. This means transferring to a closer store.

I partnered with my ETL-HR and the ETL-HR of my gaining store. Unfortunately there are no TL or GSA positions at my gaining store so I'll be picked up as a Cashier/Guest Service. I was told today that I'll be dropping in pay grade and taking a $3 an hour pay cut. Ouch.

Is this something that is negotiable or am I just going to have to suck it up? Personally I'm inclined to suck it up and just think of it as a foot in the door. A step back but at least it's not a step out.

So should I try to negotiate my pay or should I go in there and drive the Vibe like I stole it and hopefully get recognized and promoted back to GSTL?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You could try and negotiate your pay, but since you won't be in a TL role, if they do decide to give you a little bit more, it won't be much. Keep in mind, GSA's generally only make 50 cents above what a cashier makes, and a GSA will be above the position you're accepting. So IF they decide to negotiate, don't expect it to be more than a few cents.

If you are driven and determined enough to work your way up, go ahead. It definitely helps that you have TL experience. However, it could take a while...you don't know who is already on the bench and all that. Have you thought of applying for a leadership role outside of Target?

Thanks GSAHole! ;-)

I have no doubt there are others on the bench at the new store. I suppose it will come down to how valuable they think I am and if they want to develop me....provided there is the availability to do so of course. I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude about this but the situation hasn't been handled very well from the start so my faith is a bit shaken.

I actually have started looking outside of Target for leadership positions. Resumes are out and I'm continuing my search. Kind of thinking about a TL position with Target Mobile.

At the very least I'll stay at Target until something else comes around just to avoid a gap in employment. Target isn't my dream job and it's nowhere close to my real career field but I'm one of those weird people who enjoy dealing with guests and solving their problems. I wouldn't mind making a career out of Target but this cut in pay and almost certain cut in hours might

Pragmatically, take the transfer as it is. Don't think you'll be able to leverage your pay tho.
Once you're there, show 'em what you've got in terms of initiative, work ethic & can-do attitude.
In the meantime, keep dusting off that resume & looking around.
Murphy's Law would dictate an outside job offer appearing at precisely the same time you'd be up for an opening.

Take the transfer & keep looking outside of spot. I would not do the mobile thing, because that is commission based.
Thanks for searching our forums first.

I don't believe Target Mobile is commission based.

It used to be, but I believe that recently changed. We've had a mass exodus of all the target mobile TM's quitting who had been doing it for a long time, specifically because the pay just got a lot shittier than it used to be.

Thank you all very much for all of your advice! It is much appreciated.

I've decided to take the transfer. No point in walking away from a job until I've found something else. 9 bucks an hour is still better than no bucks an hour.

However.....

I found out that my ETL-HR pretty much set me up for failure. I was CC'd on an email chain between him and my gaining ETL-HR and based on what he wrote about me I really don't think I was supposed to read that email. Either that or he just didn't give a fuck if I read it or not. At any rate his "assessment" of me was unfair and incomplete and makes me sound like a complete waste of space. In a nut shell he said that I was great with guests but sucked at every other aspect of my job. Which came as a complete shock to me as I have been in this position for a year and have never been told that I was performing on a substandard level. I'm new to Target so of course there are things about the culture I need to learn but I've been managing and leading people for well over 15 years. Had I been doing my job poorly I'd like to think someone would have pulled me aside and told me.

So I'm going to move to the new store and work my ass off, as I already do, and hopefully the new store will see me for who I really am and not the image my old store is trying to paint.

Thanks again everyone!

Any way you could go to the new store for a face-to-face with copies of your evaluations so you can do a meet & greet? Shows initiative & would smash the poor perception your current HR is trying to present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back